Phone book Ads

Interesting that the ad stated "not connected with any mortuary".... even though undertakers of the era provided a much needed (and often the only service) with their combination cars I can see where that may have be a concern of a few back then. MM

Hi Joe, these old phone book adds are more a glimpse into the life then any thing. the way they are worded shows what was considered important then. we wonder why when we look into the back of a older ambulance but if you weren't in the business at that time you can't fathom the reasoning.

Thanks Joseph for posting these ads. Not only are they interesting, but they bring us back to a simpler time.

Here are a few from old Iowa phone books. Nothing fancy but for some reason I really like the first one. Unfortunatly, I have missplaced the original books so here is a bad copy and paste that I had in one of our chapter newsletters.

The first 2 ads are from the Emmet County, IA Farm Directory, 1963.
The last two are from the Monroe County, IA Farm Directory, 1960.

Iowa funeral home ads from the 60s - Copy.jpg

Here are a few from old Iowa phone books. Nothing fancy but for some reason I really like the first one. Unfortunatly, I have missplaced the original books so here is a bad copy and paste that I had in one of our chapter newsletters.

The first 2 ads are from the Emmet County, IA Farm Directory, 1963.
The last two are from the Monroe County, IA Farm Directory, 1960.

View attachment 16504

Interesting how Lewis 24 Hour Ambulance Service advertises a lady attendant. I wonder if the lady attendant was actually the funeral director's wife? And what if she was unavailable and someone else (a male) attended instead...would they then get complaints?

Back