Need a huge favor!

I don't usually do this but, is there anyone out there that can spare some garage space this weekend? I need to change the shocks on my Superior my self. The shop wants $600 to start and "then go up from there if anything gets broken". Please let me know.

I am willing to move pianos, bodies, or if need be, date the ugly friend so you can date the hot one.

I would like it to be in driving distance of Meriden, CT.

Thanks in advance!

Ouch! 600.00 to start,sounds kind of high to me. Does that include the shocks?
Look around for one of those places that rents garage space to do your own work.also get some other quotes.if you were near to me you would be welcome to use my shop,but you are at least 400 miles away.Good luck and be sure to use the proper jack,and jackstands.SAFETY FIRST!

I don't usually do this but, is there anyone out there that can spare some garage space this weekend? I need to change the shocks on my Superior my self. The shop wants $600 to start and "then go up from there if anything gets broken". Please let me know.

I am willing to move pianos, bodies, or if need be, date the ugly friend so you can date the hot one.

Thanks in advance!

Pat,
Would love to help you out.....but........kind of a drive and I think the gas would outweigh the savings.... if you came here we would at least have to take you to San Francisco as a side trip !!

Had 2 Monroe Air shocks in back and 2 Monroes in front..on my 72 Superior installed in June ...shocks were $131.00 including (9% tax)..and $77.00 labor= $208.00 TOTAL cost....:4_11_9:

Time to get a NEW mechanic !!....You might shop around a bit.....and I thought California prices were high !!:badbad:
Good Luck !!!

So it would be rear shocks and front struts. $168 is a decent price for 2 struts and 2 shocks. Not the cheapest, but OK. The labor price is high tho. Struts can be a tricky job, especially if the strut runs through, and is essentially part of the coil spring. The coil and strut have to be separated on a machine. Pretty sure yours isn't tho. I think the strut is separate. Many other shops should be able to do it cheaper. Otherwise this is a pretty straight forward DIY project. Well worth the savings to tackle it yourself, and the satisfaction of accomplishing the work your self.

Good luck!

So it would be rear shocks and front struts. $168 is a decent price for 2 struts and 2 shocks. Not the cheapest, but OK. The labor price is high tho. Struts can be a tricky job, especially if the strut runs through, and is essentially part of the coil spring. The coil and strut have to be separated on a machine. Pretty sure yours isn't tho. I think the strut is separate. Many other shops should be able to do it cheaper. Otherwise this is a pretty straight forward DIY project. Well worth the savings to tackle it yourself, and the satisfaction of accomplishing the work your self.

Good luck!
It's a separate strut. Just drops out the bottom. I'm not scared to do it. Done them before. I am in an extended stay hotel until the house comes through. Aircraft mechanic by trade now so I'm certainly not afraid to get dirty.
:cheers:

may be the move east was not as good as one thought at first?? it's about a 2 hr job the shocks can be gotten for less then a hundred if you shop around. but one can't falt the shop as of yet you all don't know what he is paying to keep his doors open.

It's a separate strut. Just drops out the bottom. I'm not scared to do it. Done them before. I am in an extended stay hotel until the house comes through. Aircraft mechanic by trade now so I'm certainly not afraid to get dirty.
:cheers:

Aaahh!! Well your certainly no stranger to dirt haha! Yea, 600 is crazy for that job. Wish you were closer. My garage is any PCS members garage. But not sure its a financially wise move to drive to VA just to change some should shocks haha! But i do have plenty of beer in the fridge...Something to think about!:burp::cheers::D

Aaahh!! Well your certainly no stranger to dirt haha! Yea, 600 is crazy for that job. Wish you were closer. My garage is any PCS members garage. But not sure its a financially wise move to drive to VA just to change some should shocks haha! But i do have plenty of beer in the fridge...Something to think about!:burp::cheers::D

Beer you say?:alc::sleep::17875:

If you can put it off for 2 weeks, my lift will be cleared, and you can use that. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOOUq-aQiI[/ame]

Thanks in advance!

Pat,

Come on up. I'll have an open bay for you and the heat on (if needed). Oh yea, plenty of beer also!

Yeah. The shocks were, according to his quote, $168 for all four. His eye lit up when I said commercial chassis.:wowguy:

I would defanitly find a new shop!!!!
i just had the shocks ( all 4) replaced on my 49 S&S, it was a total of $1127.25 parts & labor. The shocks alone were 654.60, plus labor for new shock links, rear stabelizer bar bushings, and 5 wheel studs. It has knee action shocks, and the fronts are the upper A arm and shock combined. If you check out the thread "shocks arrived today", I have some pics of the shocks. (Not included in price are the pshock links, wheel studs and stabelizer bushings. I added the shock price, just because you had yours.
So without parts the total labor was $472.65 wich is close to your quote with all that extra work.

Thanks in advance!

Pat I Paid $57.00 for a pair of brand new airshocks for my 71 lifeliner and $45.00
to install

Russ

Pat, I wish my garage were big enough. I keep my car in a private garage due to lack of room. But feel free to come on down for beer.

Back