Spray On Chrome

Over the years there have been several threads on this topic - including one almost 6 years ago started by Paul Steinberg. Is there any update?

I have several pot metal items which require an appearance improvement. I doubt my budget will finance a complete chrome plate job. In addition, there are some parts which would require extensive disassembly of the ambulance if I were to opt for re-chrome.

In the years since the last posts - has anyone found a chrome paint (one part or three part) which yields a close approximation of chrome?

If the start-up cost is too great, does anyone know of a spray chrome applicator in the NY-NJ area?

Molotow Chrome Ink pens work awesome for scale modeling and look almost just like real chrome- many people use the re-fill bottles and spray them directly out an airbrush. I have no idea how they hold up outdoors or for objects that need to be handled often. Though they do say "indoor/outdoor" use on the pen labels.

I have yet to see either the power coating or the silver nitrate that looks like chrome. both of which would you requite one to remove it from the car. then is there is any pitting to get a decent job that would need to be filled the plater will and the piece ten plate it with copper then sad it again to fill them in.

I have been paying around 130 bucka a piece for they work I have been getting.

The video is a fake. Notice that the stand holding the piece never changes color. Also notice that when he sprays the activator there is black dripping down. Obviously the piece was chrome plated then painted black and all the sprays are doing is removing the black paint. Read the comments after the video. Clearly a scam. The silver nitrate process works but is very fragile and requires a clear coat. At best "spray chrome" looks like a high quality silver paint as does "chrome" powder coating.

You put them side by side and its night and day. From what i have seen. The power coat makes a cheaper way to do things like suspension, hood hinges that type of stuff. But none of these processes can you do on the car. All still require the clean up and at least filling of pits.

Thank you for all who took the time to share your knowledge and experience. It would appear that I now have a decision to make.

I would have hit the "Thank You" button to thank you individually, but I do not yet have the post count to see that button.

Back