Pontiac procar pics

Superior/Pontiac ad - February, 1965

What a good-looking trio! I always thought Superior's 1962 as well as 1965-67 Embassy limousines were very attractive. The 1963-64 models, however, were awful.

(from MOTS)

Attachments

• 65 SP ad MOTS 2-65_001.jpg
    65 SP ad MOTS 2-65_001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,757
Some very nice Pontiacs

Thanks to Steve, I've seen pix of a number of these cars in the past. However, some of these I've never seen before and are quite striking!

As some of you know, my preference leans towards the Pontiac Consorts, Oldsmobile Sevilles and Buick Flxettes (this also includes the Trinity Triunes and short National Buicks).

During my 22 years at the helm of a small volunteer ambulance operation here in Texas we employed a number of Consorts and Sevilles along with two short Buicks: one Flxette and one National. Of the whole bunch my favorties were a pair of '67 Consorts that came from Altus, OK., a '65 Consort ambulance and a '71 Cotner/Bevington Oldsmobile Seville that the previous owner thought to be a basket case that we ended up running for nearly five years. And it turned out to be one of the fastest running ambulances we ever operated.

I currently own two Sevilles: a '68 and a '69, but no Pontiacs at the moment. I would love to find a nice Consort somewhere (hint, hint).

This photo, sent to me by a friend, is of a 1970 Consort ambulance that was on display at the 2008 Illinois Fire Chiefs Ass'n. conference in Peoria.

Does anyone here know her history?

(SL collection)

I know a little bit about the history of this car. It comes from Las Vegas, NV...hence the Mercy Ambulance logos. Mercy was the primary ambulance service for Las Vegas for many years; and I think was replaced by AMR. This car, however, never serviced Mercy. I found this car via the old PCS board back in the late '90s. It was in sad shape and needed a total restoration. I thought I had the car bought and then it suddenly "disappeared" into the hands of the gentleman who did this very nice restoration.

I can remember my first emergency call that I got to drive on way back in 1971. It was a call to a local factory for a severe laceration. The ambulance was a 1964 Superior Consort. It had the 4 corner torpedo lights as well as a Federal Mod 173 Beacon. A Fed Q2B mounted on the roof centered over the windshield provided the audible sound. When ever we wound up the Q, the carseemed to almost come to a stop, then as it wound down, the car car would take off like a bullet. We used to joke that the airflow propelled the car down the road. The ambulance was solid red. It was used as a "last out" rig.

Factory postcard - 1966 S/P 48"

This beauty has several extra-cost options including two-tone paint, full wheel covers, whitewall tires, a stretcher, spotlights, and a Dietz #211 beacon.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 1966 SP 48 001.jpg
    1966 SP 48 001.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,090
Last edited:
Hoenig F.H. (Mandan, ND)
1960 S/P Criterion combination

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Hoenig 60 SP 001.jpg
    Hoenig 60 SP 001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,011
Gaithersburg-Washington Grove V.F.D. (Gaithersburg, MD)
Hillside, MD
1961 Superior/Pontiacs

The '61s are my second-favorite Indians, right behind the '60 models (no pun intended).

Yes, AB, we see the convertible, and no, I don't have a shot of it!

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Pontiacs 001.jpg
    Pontiacs 001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,027
Sad salvaged Superiors

Rule #1 when on the road: Always carry binoculars.

If I hadn't followed this rule, I wouldn't have seen these cars at Meeker Salvage (Bloomington, IL) in 1978.

The '57 didn't have any lettering on it.

The '58 was last used by AA Ambulance in Bloomington (Dan, did you operate this car while in college?).

The '59 has Green Cross lettering, but I have no idea where that service was located.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Meeker 1 001.jpg
    Meeker 1 001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 937
  • Meeker 2 001.jpg
    Meeker 2 001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 935
  • Meeker 3 001.jpg
    Meeker 3 001.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:
No, it was retired

When I worked around AAA Ambulance in Bloomington, IL, in the mid-1960s, the 58 Pontiac was already in the junkyard. By then, AAA had a brand-new 1964 Superior 54" Cadillac, with bullet flashers, a C6B on the sloping roof, anda red/white beacon. It was canary-yellow, with "AAA Ambulance" painted clear back on the rear end of the fenders, just ahead of the back bumper. I'll look for a picture that was taken after it was repainted red/white..............

1970 Superior/Pontiac 48"

Well, it looks like I'm in love again. This shot is from a set of Superior factory photos recently acquired by Tom McPherson and shared with me. This beauty deserves a post all by herself! If only the photographer would've straightened the spotlights and aimed the red lenses forward on both sides...:pat::

Attachments

• 1970 SP 48.jpg
    1970 SP 48.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,272
The unidentified but well-equipped 1963 Consort ambulance was photographed in Meridian, MS over 20 years ago.

(CW photo)

The 1969 S/P 48" was owned by the Oktibbeha Co. Hospital in Starkville, MS.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• MS Pontiacs 001.jpg
    MS Pontiacs 001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,183
1. I took this 1973 Superior/Pontiac 54" in trade from the Lanman F.H. in Helena, OK. It was originally owned by the hospital in Winfield, KS, where it replaced a 1968 Consort.

2. Here's the same car during restoration, showing the warning device changes. I traded the original Q2B to Terry Lange for a PA-20 and a pair of CP-25 speakers, which I had replated. The C6B came from the leftover S&S inventory that I bought in 1982. I attended the 1983 PCS meet in Indianapolis with this car. Shortly before it was to be painted, it was significantly damaged as a result of a blowout. I planned to repair it but instead used the insurance money to buy the '72 S/C from Carmen. I ended up stripping and selling this one.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• SL 73 SP 54 before.jpg
    SL 73 SP 54 before.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • SL 73 SP 54 after.jpg
    SL 73 SP 54 after.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,044
Kearsarge, PA
1970 S/P 51"

Harborcreek, PA
1972 S/P 54"

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Kearsarge PA 70 SP 51 001.jpg
    Kearsarge PA 70 SP 51 001.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 996
  • Harbor Creek 72 SP 54 001.jpg
    Harbor Creek 72 SP 54 001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 995
Love those '60 Pontiacs!

This is one I had a few years ago, it went to my body shop as he is going to restore and use for advertising.

NICE...this is the only '60 C/B-Pontiac I've ever seen. Do you have a 3/4 shot that can be posted? Do you know her lineage?

Back