Tunnel and Ditch Light construction

Would someone enlighten me as to if any of the coach builders added tunnel lights and ditch lights to their ambulances in this manner? I pulled these off a fire dept. rescue truck body mounted on a 1974 one ton Chevy. The only id was the sticker in the door jamb, and it was beat up, but it looked like Collinsburg? had built the body. The lights seemed to be just a piece of stove pipe with three mounting tabs, and either a red or clear bulb in a Unity S6 trim ring. I thought they looked similar to the ones used on Cotner - Bevington set ups.

Attachments

• 0503121815.jpg
    0503121815.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 0503121815a.jpg
    0503121815a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 374
  • 0503121816.jpg
    0503121816.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 370
  • 0503121816a.jpg
    0503121816a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 368
I know of a member in South Dakota with a Stoner Suburban hightop ambulance who could sure use these lights and housings.

I had some lights that had Unity mounting rings on them, but the "tube" was made of what appeared to be 19 gauge steel tubing. I only wanted them for the bulbs, and didn't keep the housings. Those were passed onto another member about 8 years ago. My 1978 Superior uses tabs to hold the plastic rectangular housings to the body.

Tunnel Lights

After 33 years of repairing ambulances, I've seen this type of tunnel many times. I had 2 1974 Chevrolet type 2 ambulances in the past 3 years. Both were converted by National Custom Coaches of Knightstown, Indiana and both had this exact type of light. I still have at least 15 of these and I've probably thrown out dozens more over the years. National, Braun, Ampar and other companies used the same and similar designs.

fairly common type light but were can I find some of them you have tossed out?? Wayne used them a lot on there vans and suberbans

Ed - if you're in need of them, pm me - I have 4 red and 6 of the angled white, although two of the angles bases are rougher than the others, plus two larger red lights.

A 'Ditch Light' question

I'm ASSuming that 'ditch lights' are lights that can shine down into a ditch from an Emergency vehicle if a vehicle ended up there? Probably the white lights that I've seen on the high-top sides and rear of Ambulances. Am I correct is saying this? :beatdeadhorse5:

Don

I'm ASSuming that 'ditch lights' are lights that can shine down into a ditch from an Emergency vehicle if a vehicle ended up there? Probably the white lights that I've seen on the high-top sides and rear of Ambulances. Am I correct is saying this?

Yes, also known as scene lights. The ones on the rear are commonly called load lights.

In the early 70's at Mid Continent Conversion I developed fiberglass tunnel and all side lights. Hope the pictures download.

Attachments

• MidContinent Conversion Misc. Photos.jpg
    MidContinent Conversion Misc. Photos.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 199
Back