my 49 S&S and friends

John, just my opinion but it's a really great looking car. I'm no expert but I think it's probably pretty rare. If it were mine I would hang on to it and give it the proper attention it deserves.

I agree with Peter. It is nice having the 350 with 350 trans, I know if I ever have a problem I can get a part at any local part store. Although it has a 350, it is not the same one that was in it when I bought it. I blew that one up, so I had a new crate engine put in it years ago. Its still running the original suspension set up and rear end.
I drive it quite a bit, she usually gets about 5,000 miles added to it every year.
As I mentioned several times I most likely will keep it for a long time as I do like it, the idea of selling it always rattles around in my head every few months, then I come to my senses. My girlfriend absolutely loves the coach too, and Im sure she will kill me (and the new owner) if I ever let it go.

Darren, of course I have to support my buddys club! Now Oliver knows about you too.

how about some more pictures of the engine compartment, and the inside if you don't mind.

Far from impressive, interior needs lots of help, but here you go. I have since replaced the air intake hoses for the floor vents. I don't have good engine shots, Im one of those that you see one engine you've seen them all, so its the last place that gets any detail work.
Not sure if the radiator has been re-cored, but I know the tanks are original.

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 53.jpg

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 45.jpg

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 93.jpg

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 95.jpg

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 88.jpg

While Im at it, here are a couple of my favorite pictures with the house Ive always wanted since I was a kid. With the aged photo this could pass as an old funeral home shot.
1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 87.jpg

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 85.jpg

Herb
Oh, but that is definitely NOT velour! That is the original Mohair! New mohair sells for $300 and up per yard. There is a clear difference between cheap velour and real Mohair.

John,
For a total of $300, I will sell you enough REAL, matching Mohair to do your rear floor and any other areas that needs replacing in your rear compartment.

Herb
Oh, but that is definitely NOT velour! That is the original Mohair! New mohair sells for $300 and up per yard. There is a clear difference between cheap velour and real Mohair.

John,
For a total of $300, I will sell you enough REAL, matching Mohair to do your rear floor and any other areas that needs replacing in your rear compartment.

OK what are the characteristics of mohair? I'm assuming my interior is original, mine looks like what I call velour, but it might be mohair. Does mohair stink like wool when it gets wet? thanks for some schoolin:)

Herb,
I guess that it would "stink like wool when hot". It has a very distinct feel and look to it. If you have ever been in a very old theatre, most of the old theatre seats(if they have not been recovered)were originally upholstered in Mohair as it wore like iron. The best way to learn how to tell the difference between real Mohair and inexpensive velour is to see both side-by-side. John's Mohair interior also has the typical wear patterns that you will see on original Mohair interiors.

Great shot of the engine looks like it was made for it. Since dash is not stock (makes me sad scrapped a 49 Cad. sedan last year left dash in) why not add AC and be real comfy in the summer? Chevy tilt column is a nice touch again makes Coach much nicer to drive. 49 Caddy wheel and column where not positioned user friendly.

Great shot of the engine looks like it was made for it. Since dash is not stock (makes me sad scrapped a 49 Cad. sedan last year left dash in) why not add AC and be real comfy in the summer? Chevy tilt column is a nice touch again makes Coach much nicer to drive. 49 Caddy wheel and column where not positioned user friendly.

The stock instrument cluster did come with the car, so I do have that. Ive debated many times on putting it back in, but not sure if it works, figured that's why he took it out. Besides that since everything has changed, the gauges may not work right with the new systems in it. The Vintage Air also was on the list to do, but never happened. On this one as long as you are moving, it stays cool, with the wing windows, and 4-5 inch floor vent tubes, it really brings in the air.
As Kurt already stated, its original mohair. There is a very good reproduction, that I bought years ago for the drapes, looks the same, but feel is different, but still comes in close to a hundered a yard, much better than mohair at over $300 yd.
Kurt, look for a PM today about your mohair, I may be interested.

As my dad said when I bought my first 56 Packard with AC " What the H*** is the matter with you just uses more gas open the vents and go". You are right the original cluster would never work now.

The nice thing about the original cluster is it has the mileage on the car in the gap between the cars build and the new gauges. Im sure having the vents and wings open is not good on the gas either, but on that car you cant expect much anyway. It gets about 13 all highway.

Actually you could do a budget AC installation by using 350 GM brackets and compressor with a 60s aftermarket underdash AC unit and condenser. Then just have the lines made. Those AC units show up at flea markets and go begging

Actually you could do a budget AC installation by using 350 GM brackets and compressor with a 60s aftermarket underdash AC unit and condenser. Then just have the lines made. Those AC units show up at flea markets and go begging

Its just as easy buying a Vintage Air, that way you know it works, plus it will be much smaller. A old kit at a flea market may be more hassle in the long run.
It don't matter anyway, this car needs way too much work to worry about AC, and it will take it farther from original than it already is.

Guess you are right. My recently returned after 48 years 56 Packard Caribbean Hardtop had vintage air added by the last owner in Florida. He told me he was very pleased with it. I have no been well enough to try the AC this spring so I can offer no personal opinion on its performance. I am however not pleased with the way the compressor vibrates on its mounting with the motor running only. I will have to investigate this when doing better. The under dash unit is indeed more compact. My thing with AC is since most events are in the summer its nice to arrive cool not sweated up.

Guess you are right. My recently returned after 48 years 56 Packard Caribbean Hardtop had vintage air added by the last owner in Florida. He told me he was very pleased with it. I have no been well enough to try the AC this spring so I can offer no personal opinion on its performance. I am however not pleased with the way the compressor vibrates on its mounting with the motor running only. I will have to investigate this when doing better. The under dash unit is indeed more compact. My thing with AC is since most events are in the summer its nice to arrive cool not sweated up.

Believe me, I know what you mean, summers here are nasty, and Im one that anything over 40 degrees F. is too hot. This moves an insane amount of air so as long as you are moving you are fine.
Your vibration may be as simple as a loose bolt, (we can hope). I know a lot of people that have that system and they are all happy with the performance of them. Its nice too the price keeps going down on them.

I don't know if I should ask this personal question in your thread or start a new one. But it kindda goes with the topic so, here it goes.
I have a 48 National that I'm presently messing with, I noticed the bottom of your car is in very nice clean and pretty much rust free. The bottom of my car has a lot of the surface rust along with some rust thru on the section that was stretched. The question is after I clean the 2" of grease that coats the whole bottom of the car, should I sand the rusty places and paint the bottom , or just clean it and not put anything on it like yours? One reason for asking is I'm new at this type of car and would like to preserve it and not cause any type of "stupid" damage, but I want to do what is the best for its sake. The same goes for the paint on the body, its all original but its missing a lot of it.
What would your opinion be, or others can comment if you don't mind. Thank you sir.

Back