'60 Briarean ambulance ($2k/MI)

Posted on HAMB yesterday. Another rare beastie I hope someone steps up for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9104844

1960 Chrysler Ambulance. This rare Chrysler was purchased by the former owner about 25 years ago with the idea of restoring it. Well, he certainly did not get very far. This ambulance is rough. It would need a total restoration or would be a great parts car candidate. It certainly would also be the great basis for a hot rod or custom project. Included with the sale is four, well stocked pallets overflowing with some of the removed parts but also lots and lots of extra parts and related items. It rolls and steers. It is being sold with a bill of sale only, no title. What you see is what you get. This could make a really neat project for someone or would be a great source of parts. The price is 2,000.00. No separate parts sales and nothing will be parted out, you'll have to take it all! Located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Call 734-730-4274 or email motoringicons@hotmail.com to come and take a look at it or for more information

No trades, unless you have a good prewar Ford parts or speed equipment.

994857_10151753620113221_639865768_n.jpg

1001570_10151753620118221_596299013_n.jpg

1094965_10151753620203221_284502440_n.jpg

969205_10151753620208221_1843389412_n.jpg

1000227_10151753620258221_706329594_n.jpg

998758_10151753620333221_409511701_n.jpg

225202_10151753620343221_1866991762_n.jpg

534912_10151753620358221_226742879_n.jpg

9092_10151753620108221_1316292913_n.jpg

I do know were there is a complete engine for this bit it looks to be all there some were. not a lot of the Richard brothers made. bet the livestock comes as a bonus

I know I am dreaming, but I would love to see this rare ambulance restored. This car would sure turn some heads, wouldn't it?

Toughest part would be finding the '60/'61 Chrysler WAGON ONLY tail light assemblies. Obviously someone has made off with them. They will cost a fortune if you could find them. He will have a tough time selling it.

I know I am dreaming, but I would love to see this rare ambulance restored. This car would sure turn some heads, wouldn't it?

I agree Bill, could be a stunner !! A true Michigan Car, Chassis by Chrysler, Conversion by Richards Brothers of Eaton Rapids, Michigan, and amazingly it's still in Michigan !!

also for sale at a close to reasonable price. in my opinion the asking price fits the car. I just wish people would learn to take one thing apart at at time. it easy to disassemble a car. once you done that the best of cars as then just a pile of junk. it's then vary easy to get overwhelmed with your project and just stop. the way I like to brake out of the I'll never get done cycle is to clean up, put everything away and start fresh.

I love how the roof pods are all wilted, making the poor car look sad like it's an animal in a pet store, looking at everyone with a sad face just waiting for someone to rescue it.

Toughest part would be finding the '60/'61 Chrysler WAGON ONLY tail light assemblies. Obviously someone has made off with them. They will cost a fortune if you could find them. He will have a tough time selling it.

Even tougher would be the factory corner roof light assemblies. These were demountable, used on combinations as well as ambulances, and were usually seen on all four corners:

Attachments

• 1960-Chrysler-Richard-Bros-.jpg
    1960-Chrysler-Richard-Bros-.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 382
  • chrysler1.jpg
    chrysler1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 384
The roof pods were made of fiberglass, and the lights are 1958 Chevrolet Impala tail lamp assemblies. I was told that right front, rear left are the same, and left front rear right are the same, and that someone is in the process of reproducing the pods. The tail lamp assemblies are already being reproduced, so that is the easy part.

The roof pods were made of fiberglass, and the lights are 1958 Chevrolet Impala tail lamp assemblies. I was told that right front, rear left are the same, and left front rear right are the same, and that someone is in the process of reproducing the pods. The tail lamp assemblies are already being reproduced, so that is the easy part.

Paul,
You are correct on everything except the tail lamp assemblies. Only the lenses are being reproduced, not the assembly. The assemblies are almost impossible to find as they are station wagon only. I had almost no interest in my complete '61 New Yorker Richards Bros. ambulance, but it finally went to Sweden for $2500. This '60 is the shorter wheelbase Windsor and in worse condition.

Even tougher would be the factory corner roof light assemblies. These were demountable, used on combinations as well as ambulances, and were usually seen on all four corners:

The roof corner/tunnel lights were an option on these. Fairly uncommon on those built on the Windsor chassis like this one. This one looks to have been ordered without them. My '61 New Yorker Richards Bros. was ordered with them.

Sheesh, each time I stay away from the forums for a few weeks another Briarean turns up. All true - the taillight bezels are tough to find, and the person selling the repro lenses has good intentions, but a hot and cold reputation. It looks like they mounted those roof lights in the holes for the tunnel lights. Paul, I think a small run of those roof light pods is close to happening. It's a real treat to see this one and compare the minute differences. Mine has factory air (I've seen a Briarean with common dealer-added air as well) and this doesn't have air. Two different rear door handles were seen for this year. I think the missing Chrysler script and shield is a wagon-only part number, and I have only been able to find the similar-looking standard emblem. Perforated hardboard headliner is tough, but there might be a source for them now. Engine for the short-wheelbase Windsor will be a two-year only 383, basically a raised-block 413 with a smaller bore. Engine/tranny interchange is very limited with this particular tranny and crank flange. Rear bumper is wagon only, and the Windsor front bumper is unique, only it and the also SWB DeSoto mount the same. I'd like to have those bumpers. Some of the parts on this car are better than mine. Wait - I take that back, the roof lights are not in the same location and the optional light pod mounting holes - they are too close together for that, and when present, they are usually accompanied by a front-and-center-mounted hole for the Beacon-Ray.

Last edited:
I tried to add this too late, but I find it interesting. I believe the tires on the Briareans was same as for the 9-passenger wagons (rear seat inside the spare tire well) and were Good Year "Captive-Air" run-flat technology tires. A separate chamber is filled through a hole in the sidewall. I have a letter from a Good Year marketing person to Richard Brothers, and a few weeks ago I saw a survivor '60 with the original Captive Air tire still in the trunk.

Oh - I think Paul was referring to the Impala taillight assemblies used in the roof-pod option. They are approaching $300 for a repro set of 6, then you'd need two more. You know, the fiberglass rear door was listed as an option, but I have not seen a Briarean without it.

Last edited:
one would figure that the taillights assembly were in on of those boxes of parts. but like my 53 who can tell. been looking for over 5 years for one taillight under 500 bucks.

Back