Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,135 Times in 465 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Angry Invoice E-mail from Jeffrey Hookway

I have had 2 more E-mails supposedly from Jeffrey Hookway in the last couple of days. Deleted both without reading. I guess these guys never get tired of trying, do they. Just once i would love to see one of these low life's caught and held responsible for all the grief they bring down on people.
Also sorry these guys keep doing this to Jeff. DO NOT OPEN THESE E-MAILS!!!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:03 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,002 Times in 441 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I got one too in CA. MM
Old 11-10-2018, 01:10 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,951 Times in 3,928 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Please read the below information from blake !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake sherwin View Post
as someone who specializes in it security i can tell you the primary ways to identify spam or phishing emails like this:

1. The email domain (example: support@microssoft.com)

alot of people dont bother looking at the finer details but often scammers will buy a domain similar to the company they pose as like this microssoft example i used, adding that one extra s. Or sometimes it will be the correct spelling but be something like microsoft.shadysite.info, meaning the site is actually shadysite.info, which has a subdomain of microsoft.shadysite.info.
And in that original post the address is @sarongbali.com which seems to be an actual restaurant in indonesia so that email was probably spoofed.

2. Link urls

another dead giveaway are the links. Usually you can hover your cursor over the link or right click and "copy shortcut" or something then paste it in notepad to see the actual web address to the link that says "click here now"

and just like above the structure and formatting of the address tells alot

https://dell.com = legit
https://dell.ru = fake
https://support.dell.com = legit
https://support-dell.com = fake
https://deel.com = fake obviously

you can also check the whois database to find out who owns certain domains if you are in doubt.
https://whois.domaintools.com/

that googleparampresas.agenciamseo.com.br is a brazillian url and its definitely not associated with google since the top level domain is agenciamseo.com.br

3. Last but not least another big giveaway are simply grammar and typos. More often than not there will blatant grammar issue.

Understanding the anatomy of a url can be helpful. And i apologize if this sounds like static haha, this is what i do everyday for a living so while i may not know a great deal about cars, this is what i make up for it with:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Andrew G. Zajkowski (11-13-2018), Denny Shira (11-12-2018), Jeff Hookway (11-11-2018), Noah Dorsey (11-10-2018)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 PM

WARNING - email from Jeffrey C Hookway - Warning!
Caution

This has been going on for over a year now, and it appears that it isn't going to stop, and now, they have perfected using his real email address. I am going to suggest to everyone, that if you have a way to divert any emails from hookjch@ptd.net to a trash folder or virus folder, that you do so immediately. These emails are coming into my email box almost on a daily basis, as well as they are being reported to me by other members, asking what is going on! If you click on any links in the emails, your computer will become infected with a Trojan that will steal all your email contacts, and start using your good name to an evil end. Please be careful not to open any emails from Jeffrey Hookway, or hookjch@ptd.net

This is the latest one to be reported to me..

Quote:
Date: February 1, 2019 at 9:00:07 AM MST
To: <xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com>
Subject: Invoice 2019-0205
Dear Client,
We just processed the payment for your Jeffrey C Hookway account and charged your credit card for $ 973.00.

Any problems, please contact us as per the email below.
Thank you for choosing Jeffrey C Hookway
Thank you in advance

Invoice 2019-0205
Sender: Jeffrey C Hookway Invoice date: 01-31-2019 Due date: 02-01-2019 Amount due: $0.00 (Amount paid: $973.00)

► View Here ◄
Virus is located in the "view here" part of the email.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Bill Leverett (02-02-2019), Steve Ahlstedt (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:25 AM
PCS Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get about 1 "fake" a week. So bad I do not open, just delete EVERYTHING I get from him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gus Boucher For This Useful Post:
Paul Steinberg  (02-02-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,135 Times in 465 Posts
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Greetings to All. I just this morning received another E mail invoice from some one claiming to be Jeff. I have to give them credit, they keep at it.
There is a special kind of hell for people like this. Just posting this as a warning to everyone. A minor annoyance, sorry that this scumbag has latched
on to you.
I wish i could send him a special package, One that goes "BOOM"
Bill Marcy (02-14-2019), Paul Steinberg  (02-14-2019), Wayne Krakowski (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:03 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,122 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

CAUTION a new one I have been getting, a RED SCREEN saying in one form or another " your computer is infected with a virus and all your files will be deleted in five minutes it is imperative you log into the link provided or call the toll free line to get help". DON'T BELIEVE IT! YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO REMOVE THE SCREEN. Don't try anything just shut the computer down restart and its gone. I have had this one about four times now don't fall for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Grave For This Useful Post:
Bill Marcy (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:01 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,403 Times in 2,518 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I have had it once myself. I just unplugged the computer. It was gone.
1974 M-M Cadillac Lifeliner Ambulance(Ex Minden City/County Safety Authority, Minden, NE)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Bill Marcy (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
CAUTION a new one I have been getting, a RED SCREEN saying in one form or another " your computer is infected with a virus and all your files will be deleted in five minutes it is imperative you log into the link provided or call the toll free line to get help". DON'T BELIEVE IT! YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO REMOVE THE SCREEN. Don't try anything just shut the computer down restart and its gone. I have had this one about four times now don't fall for it.
This is what is known as a PUP, a potentially unwanted program. I have one on one computer, and it is buried so deeply into the operating system, that I haven't been able to remove it. There are programs that will remove most malware the get into the computer, however, the malware developers are getting better at protecting the malware from removal.
If you have a PUP, I suggest that you download and run Malwarebytes ADW cleaner 7.2.7.0 Do a Google search, and make sure that you get the correct free program. Also, beware of programs that say that they are free to download, because many times you need to pay to use them, and many will give you false reporting about problems.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Andrew G. Zajkowski (02-16-2019), Bill Marcy (02-14-2019), John ED Renstrom (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,725 Times in 6,230 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

A couple of years ago the Lions clubs were the target of the false mailings for dues. Vary similarly to this one. My goal right now is to not let Kandy get trap ped in one of them. Lucky enough she has all most stoped answering the phone. If you have an active land line its about 4 a day. But the three rings will weed out 99.9% of them.