look what followed me home.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
it was time and today was not going to be one more lumberjack day for me. I'm tired of doing that. so we went up and got the 53 and took it home. I drove it in. then of course it promptly ran out of gas. that little tank we have hooked up doesn't last as long on the straight 8 as it did on the brigs and stratton. I would like to say it runs strong but all I can say is it runs.spent 15 min with the floor jack and a block of wood to get the back end a little more presentable. but at least she is home for now. now then if some one can just tell me who built it I'll be more happy

Attachments

• IMG_4855.JPG
    IMG_4855.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4859.JPG
    IMG_4859.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 301
we know from the door configuration it's not a National or a Acme. National was good about there tag visible from the right center door. there doors were square corners top and bottom. Economy has a bigger center door smaller c pillar. there rear door goes threw the bulge not in front of it. the doors are configured as the Bernette is but a lot of the interior does not have the Bernette signature. bench set is not a split back and corners are rounded off were at least the combos are square. I'll need to sand off the fenders to see if I can find the holes for the Bernette script under the Y. they were the only one that put it there. then there is the question of the tunnel light's if it were not for Todd's 57 GMC having the same set of lights I would say some one had redone them. but his are identical. interesting thing is he can't find who built his either. so for now we are calling it a Bernette? just because the doors on the outer body are the same. till I can find some more pictures of pontiac ambulances built on this body it's my best guess.

I got the car in Newcastle Wy. the man I got it from did not have any Hx except that the lady he got it from said her Husband had the car for some time. she sold it after his death. it then kicked around his collection of junk cars for a few years before he parted with it to clean up the property I had asked him to check with her if he could I haven't touched base with him since I picked up the car. but it was black from who ever built it. then all the lights, siren antenna, spot light etc was removed the holes filled in and it was painted white. I'm thinking the script was lost then to.

I have a feeling it's an Economy, based on the window markings, the shape of the rear window, and the small tunnel lights. Compare it with this:

Attachments

• ad 53EconomyPontiac.jpg
    ad 53EconomyPontiac.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 141
I did to at first but why would they change to doors on this one. even the doors in the add show square corners. as does the only picture of a meteor built by economy that I have seen. no one can find a picture of a economy ambulance. we are going off the artist drawing in the add. which by the way I got one off e-bay for the 53 Bernette and they used the 52 body in there 53 add. no help there. I can find 3 holes in the fender up tight next to the wheel opining that may have been a emblem. there the same on both sides.
but that's not were the 3 noted ones put there's.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 127
Back