Site Supporter

Attachments

• 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 323
  • 254.jpg
    254.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 334
How are you planning on "repairing" it? You are probably going to have to send the entire upper vinyl cover to SMS to have another embossed properly. That said, it really doesn't matter what you use. Black duck tape will work just fine.

seat repair

I would go to an upholsterer and buy or ask for two scraps of black leather. Get on scrap and bond some foam to the finished side of the leather, slip it in behind the rip with the ruff un-scived side of the leather facing out and carefully glue in increments the torn flaps against the strata of the leather you have laid underneath the rip. Then find a piece of leather the exact same size as the rectangle portion you just bonded, with the same grain pattern and grain direction, to lay over the repair. It should not be visible at a glance any longer if you took your time and did not try to do it all in an hour. I am an upholster's younger brother and my brother always used
"S-18" All purpose cement in his business and I always keep some in stock for special projects because it really works well. The only drawback is if the can is not sealed after use air tight it will dry up. If you keep it to long the bristles on the applicator attached to the cap will actually dissolve and the metal baton may surprise you next time you open it to use. Both have happened to me.

believe it or not we have a man up here that can repair that forgot the screw driver on my back pocket problem. going to have to do that on this 72 up here also. but like you just not right now. if it was me doing it a curved needle and some string floss just do a little lock stitch and basket weave pattern across the hole the lock it in with the vinyl glue from locktight. I get mine at the ace hardware. did one on the wife's Monti Carlo that way it still holding. after 6 years. tape will just transfer sticky to your back side.

Check to see if there is a "Dr. Vinyl" franchisee in your area. They could fix that rip and have it virtually un-detectable. They did all of the upholstery repair work for the Omaha Auto Auction when I first moved down here. They do beautiful work!

A leather patch will not match your vinyl seat upholstery very well.

auto detailers

I have seen a well auto detailers come to used car lots fix cracks in dash covers, respray carpets back to color, and repair tears in seats to where they are undetectable.

I had a hole about that size in my front seat and it was repaired. Surprised the heck out of me how it could be done but he did it and then re-sprayed the seat.

The vinyl is cleaned, and then wiped down with a special liquid that opens the pores of the material, and then sprayed with vinyl dye. The dye is made by SEM Products. https://www.semproducts.com/ I have used the product for many years, and have dyed the dash black on my 1969 when I replaced it with a blue one. It is impossible to tell that it was dyed, since the product bonds with the original surface and becomes part of the surface, instead of lying on top of the surface like paint does. It is the standard of the automobile industry for over 50 years for renewing car interiors if they are faded, torn, or otherwise damaged. Finding someone that can properly do the repair and dye the seat will be the difficult part. I suggest that you ask at some of the larger used car dealerships for recommendations of who they use. Vinyl is repairable, cloth is only replaceable.

Check to see if there is a "Dr. Vinyl" franchisee in your area. They could fix that rip and have it virtually un-detectable. They did all of the upholstery repair work for the Omaha Auto Auction when I first moved down here. They do beautiful work!

A leather patch will not match your vinyl seat upholstery very well.

There is a Dr. Vinyl in Tulsa:
Address: 10716 E 55th Pl C, Tulsa, OK 74146
Phone: (918) 627-3715

I may have to check that out myself. One of my corners is torn

I found these two vinyl swatches--large enough to cover the hole--in the glovebox.

We'll see what Dr. Vinyl says when he visits next week:

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 201
We'll see what Dr. Vinyl says when he visits next week:

I am impressed! While it certainly won't look like new, the Dr. Vinyl man said that the repair will smooth out somewhat over the next couple of days:

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 161
Back