carter afb

According to my 1964 to 1969 Master Parts book page 219, The 1964 Carter AFB was the 3903S. The 1959 to 1963 Carter AFB was the 3480S. The difference between the 3480S and the 3903S is the 3903S has a mounting block on the left/driver side rear with scew holes to hold the electric kick down switch used on the TH equipped cars. I have seen the 3480's continued to be used on the 1964's that did not require the switch (62 series and 75 series and commercial chassis that had the older Hydrmatics.

with that number you can usually get a rebuildable one off e-bay. but if the one you have is correct rebuilt it. I have not had a lot of luck getting a good working carb of e-bay. the carburetor shop.com is a good sorce for parts and if I'm not mistaken the offer a rebuild service but all I have ever done is buy kits and collect information from them. http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

I'm quite sure I still have the carb out of my parts '62 S&S Cadillac combination. It would need to be rebuilt, but should otherwise be in good condition. If you have SERIOUS interest in it, I'll confirm that I have it. (It's not at home.) Email hoczyk@yahoo.com or 260-433-7379. Tom

I have had great carburetor work done by Daytona Parts Company, you can get kits there also. The new kits and rebuilds have upgraded rubber parts that won't deteriorate with the alcohol in the gas.

daytonaparts.com

I have a bunch of old carburetors if you still need something. They would need to be rebuilt. I just need to know what the base looks like. They had different sizes. You could always get something like a Holley carburetor if you don't mind having aftermarket parts. That's what I did on my 52 Superior. Just get an adapter plate. I used a 600cfm carb. Most of those old carbs are finicky anyways and only put out about 400cfm if I remember right. Nice thing too is that you can get an electric choke and it's super easy to wire in. Just add a hot wire. No more messing around with a choke. This thing runs better than it ever has with that carb.

Forgot to mention. I know this has nothing to do with carburetors but another upgrade that is well worth it is to change it over to electronic ignition. Your engine will run stronger. No more fooling around with points. The is a kit made by the brand Pertronix which is an under cap kit that sells for around $100. Doesn't change the look at all. Just make sure you get a Pertronix coil if you do this. The coil has different ohms and even though it will run fine for a while with the original coil, the coil will eventually fail. The pamphlet that comes with the kit will walk you through it and it's by far one of the easiest things to do. You can have it done in a half hour.

I have one from a '65 Calais Coupe in case it's the same. It was freshly rebuilt just before being replaced by a Rochester decades ago and has been in my shop since then but should probably be checked out in case the accelerator pump has dried out. I also have the stainless shims that go under it - there were two as I recall. The only reason I replaced it was so that all my 1965 Cadillacs (I had four at the time) would have the same type but there was nothing wrong with the carburetor itself and either one was proper for 1965 but I don't know about 1964.

Back