Superior ambulance lighted roof insert nos

The Plexiglas sign can still be reproduced today, by most sign shops. The way that they are made, is they make a stencil of the word, and then spray that with whatever color you want on the backside of the Plexiglas. In the case of "Ambulance", they were usually red. Then they remove the stencil, and spray the white paint over the entire sign. The paint that is used is a special sign paint that is transparent, so the sign can be backlit.

but the frame of yours is missing or damaged it would be worth the asking price. this one might make a neat light for the garage door. but bite my tongue it's one of those reserve auctions.

Storage conditions look to be extremely wet and the cars look to have suffered extensively because of it. Look to be 3 C-Bs and a '64 Superior Pontiac in the photos.

Just FYI when I redone my signs on my 76 Superior the front and back were not the same size as the sides

Last edited:
Check out seller's Crane & Breed horse drawn auction, then 6th image. How'd you miss a '71-'73 S&S high top that's already out of barn?!?

Same seller has 5 positive and 4 negative feedback recently. Can't expect any "decent" money after people read feedback comments.

I know who the owner of all these vehicles is and the back story therefore I was surprised to see this eBay listing with the images of the barn and especially the picture showing all the vehicles inside. After seeing this thread this morning I immediately called and spoke to him about the listing.

The reason for me calling him is I know how important he values his privacy and the fact the images of the barn showing all the vehicles was made so public. This is so counter to this gentleman and his privacy and thus the reason I called him so quickly. I had been encouraging him for months to get these vehicles out of the barn and all the items organized and put up for sale but with life there just never seems to be enough time, not to mention this particular task is going to be very challenging and time consuming with the amount of vehicles and items that are involved.

He was unaware the eBay listing was live and contained the image of all the vehicles in the barn. I think he assumed the listing would only contain the image of the individual items that are being offered for sale and not all the vehicles. This concerns him as the last thing he wants is a feeding frenzy circus.

It was his eldest son who posted the listing and probably did it as a teaser for what’s to come but the owner is going to speak to his son today on how to handle this task going forward because the father is greatly concerned with the family’s privacy and does not was to be contacted by anyone.

After explaining to him the images of his barn that are seen on the eBay listing and the vehicles in the images (which you can all see) the owner did give me permission to post in this thread with the information I am posting below however it was made clear to me not to mention their names or where they are located.

I am sure there are members of the PCS who know who this man is and where these cars are located but he has asked me to make this post here and ask those who do know who he is to please respect his privacy, therefore if you know him please respect him and do not mention who he is.
The back story of the barn and vehicles

All these vehicles were driven in this barn 30+ years ago and parked. Many of these ambulances were taken directly out of regular service and parked where they still sit today. Also there are many boxes of NOS ambulance items including Q sirens, CJ25 speakers (in their original boxes) and a whole host of Superior and Cotner Bevington torpedo lights, sirens and bubblegum lights. There are many other neat items as well that are funeral or ambulance related. These items are currently being inventoried and organized and are already beginning to be posted on eBay.

Some (not all) of the vehicles as well are also going to be listed for sale and I have a partial list of these vehicles. The owner was reluctant to post the list but since the images of the barn already show many of the vehicles the proverbial cat is already out of the bag. Again he is more concerned with his privacy and nobody contacting him or his sons unless they are bidding or serious buyers.

As mentioned already in this thread the same owner does have two 1948 Flxible Buicks for sale, one is an ambulance and the other is a 3-way table car (hearse). He was hoping to sell these as a pair so the new owner can use one as a possible parts car if needed or if someone wants to restore two Buicks they will be a neat par. Also in the barn are the following,

1942 Siebert Ford truck based ambulance

1954 National Pontiac Ambulance solid red in color with two tunnel lights in the front and one rear tunnel light over the rear door.

1963 Oldsmobile Cotner Bevington Ambulance

1964 Superior Consort Pontiac Ambulance (no lights) low top Blue in color (Seen in ebay image)

1966 Superior Consort Pontiac Ambulance with tunnel lights (Seen in ebay image)

1968 Superior Pontiac Ambulance

1969 Cotner Bevington Oldsmobile Hightop Ambulance (Seen in eBay image)

1970 Cotner Bevington Oldsmobile Combination Blue in color)

1969 Challenger Chevy Suburban hightop ambulance

1970 Ford Van Ambulance

1974 Miller Meteor Cadillac Lifeliner Ambulance

1974 S&S Cadillac Kensington Hightop Ambulance (poor condition and outside)

Additional Ambulances include but not limited to 3 Dodge van ambulances, a Superior Toad wide body van ambulance and a few others miscellaneous vehicles to be announced.

All these vehicles were driven into the barn and parked as used cars 30+ years ago (except the 1974 S&S so they do have all in-tact (good) glass and are in overall decent “used” condition. The barn does have a leaky roof so there is some exterior water damage and surface rust on some of the vehicles but little to no interior water damage to most of the vehicles. The vehicles are very dusty and dirty so the images really don’t do them much justice but these are very restorable all original ambulances. Over the next few weeks all of these ambulances / vehicles are being pulled out of the barn one at a time, cleaned up, inventoried and serviced and will either be put up for sale or moved into a new storage facility with a good roof. Look for future eBay actions on these vehicles and the items but again respect the privacy of the owner and his family by not trying to contact him unless via an auction with serious buyers only.

Oddly enough, the eBay listing makes no mention of them selling the 2 Flxible Buicks as a pair. It doesn't even make mention of their being a second car.

I really get the impression in reading the listings to-date that the sellers feel that these cars are worth far more than they really are. These cars may have been worth decent money at one time, but their lack of proper storage has caused severe deterioration. These cars may have been better off if they had been stored outside, where they could have at least dried out occasionally.

Yes Kirt there seems to be some major communications issues between the son and father, as I mentioned the father wasn’t even aware the items were up on eBay yet or anything about the prices the son was asking. This is why I contacted him this morning to let him know my surprise.

The father is going to speak to his son today to get things straightened out so they are on the same page. I’ll give him (the father) a call tomorrow to get further clarification. Let me make it clear I am not going to get in the middle of this and they will post the auctions and prices as they will and so the chips fall where they will but I have a feeling things will get better now that the father is aware of everything the son is doing. Let me also be clear I am not trying to insinuate the son was doing anything unethical or going behind the fathers back but rather there was simply a breakdown of communication but if you knew the entire situation you would understand and see it wasn’t anything nefarious but rather a “too many irons in the fire” type of situation.

Moving on to the cars and other items, I do know that some of the older cars are in rough shape but there are several vehicles that are really in decent shape for sitting for 30+ years. Yes the roof on this particular barn (it’s actually a barn) is bad in a few places but the entire place isn’t as bad as it appears. The NOS items and other things are in good shape and many of those items are in other out buildings on the property and those buildings are in good shape. Look at the images again on the auction to see some of the outbuildings so you can see.

Also look at the sons eBay history, he has tried to sell a few items before but like many who sell on eBay this is just an avenue for him to sell items, he has a full time job, a family, his father’s stuff and a other issues that keep him VERY busy. In this case there is no intentional slow shipping or anything bad but rather just trying to find the time to breathe during the busy day is hard at times for him. Also his father is up in years and does not use the computer so the son is basically taking care of everything but I know the father and know he is an honorable man.

As with all auctions it’s a hit or miss on the items but from what I do know there are going to be some great rare one of a kind NOS items that will be offered for sale very shortly. The vehicles are also all going to get pulled out and lots of pictures take of each vehicle inside and out.

I had been working with the father and hoping to do a pro car article on these vehicles and the back history of each vehicle before the son posted the eBay auction and so I will be in touch with the son to offer some help but again I think this entire auction and all the items will surprise many die hard pro car fans both in terms of quality and volume.

Just a reminder to everyone that I am looking for a (1968) High Top C-B / Olds Ambulance to restore and replicate the one our local Fire Dept purchased new. THX-MM

Yes Kirt there seems to be some major communications issues between the son and father, as I mentioned the father wasn’t even aware the items were up on eBay yet or anything about the prices the son was asking. This is why I contacted him this morning to let him know my surprise.

The father is going to speak to his son today to get things straightened out so they are on the same page. I’ll give him (the father) a call tomorrow to get further clarification. Let me make it clear I am not going to get in the middle of this and they will post the auctions and prices as they will and so the chips fall where they will but I have a feeling things will get better now that the father is aware of everything the son is doing. Let me also be clear I am not trying to insinuate the son was doing anything unethical or going behind the fathers back but rather there was simply a breakdown of communication but if you knew the entire situation you would understand and see it wasn’t anything nefarious but rather a “too many irons in the fire” type of situation.

Moving on to the cars and other items, I do know that some of the older cars are in rough shape but there are several vehicles that are really in decent shape for sitting for 30+ years. Yes the roof on this particular barn (it’s actually a barn) is bad in a few places but the entire place isn’t as bad as it appears. The NOS items and other things are in good shape and many of those items are in other out buildings on the property and those buildings are in good shape. Look at the images again on the auction to see some of the outbuildings so you can see.

Also look at the sons eBay history, he has tried to sell a few items before but like many who sell on eBay this is just an avenue for him to sell items, he has a full time job, a family, his father’s stuff and a other issues that keep him VERY busy. In this case there is no intentional slow shipping or anything bad but rather just trying to find the time to breathe during the busy day is hard at times for him. Also his father is up in years and does not use the computer so the son is basically taking care of everything but I know the father and know he is an honorable man.

As with all auctions it’s a hit or miss on the items but from what I do know there are going to be some great rare one of a kind NOS items that will be offered for sale very shortly. The vehicles are also all going to get pulled out and lots of pictures take of each vehicle inside and out.

I had been working with the father and hoping to do a pro car article on these vehicles and the back history of each vehicle before the son posted the eBay auction and so I will be in touch with the son to offer some help but again I think this entire auction and all the items will surprise many die hard pro car fans both in terms of quality and volume.

The lister's feedback rating is pretty lousy! Obviously not a good communicator. Looks to be something of a crap shoot in dealing with him.

As mentioned already in this thread the same owner does have two 1948 Flxible Buicks for sale, one is an ambulance and the other is a 3-way table car (hearse). The white one is a combination.

1963 Oldsmobile Cotner Bevington Ambulance Combination

1964 Superior Consort Pontiac Ambulance (no lights) low top Blue in color (Seen in ebay image) White, combination

1969 Challenger Chevy Suburban hightop ambulance National

1974 S&S Cadillac Kensington Hightop Ambulance (poor condition and outside) *ROUGH* 1976 Professional

Please note my comments in red above.

The lister's feedback rating is pretty lousy! Obviously not a good communicator. Looks to be something of a crap shoot in dealing with him.

Actually I understand your concern and as busy as the son gets I can understand the issues, which have been addressed to him by his father today and hopefully corrected.

It was just recently his father even gave permission to start cleaning out the barn and begin selling the collection, therefore the father and other family members will have a hand in trying to make this all work. Let us all wish them the best so that all parties benefit and these items can find new homes.

Atti I find it ironically odd that you of all people are so quick to pass any type of judgment on this seller when in fact you too experienced some really bad reviews in your early On-line sales days for lack of communication and lack of shipping items that were paid for. Does that make you a bad person or untrustworthy? Does it make him a bad person? I wont (and cannot) answer this question but I'm just surprised at your attitude towards another pro-car guy who you don't even know.

I think we all need to give people a second chance or at least in this sellers case understand the circumstances behind this sellers slow responses at that particular time. Maybe there was a very private family crisis he was dealing with that caused him to be unavailable or slow in responding but again lets not be so quick to judge others as we then bring that same judgment upon ourselves ;)

Also, eBay's new unconditional money-back guarantee is a WONDERFUL feature! I recently purchased something on eBay and paid for it immediately. The price was in the $100 range. Seller did not ship and would not respond to my e-mail messages. I filed a claim on him and within 48 hours the money was back in my PayPal account! I was truly impressed with eBay in this case!

Please note my comments in red above.

Yes Steve I know that you (and several others) also personally know the owner of these vehicles but the 1969 Suburban was manufactured by Challenger and is not a National, or so the owner told me this today as we discussed this vehicle and he clearly said it was NOT a national.

However he might correct his own statement later (doubt it) but I was posting only what he told me to post. My main reason for posting what I did was first per his permission and to make it VERY clear he is requesting his privacy be respected. He does not want his name out there or a lot of people contacting him.

As for the 1948 Buick which is pictured on eBay its a straight ambulance as its windows are all etched and it was configured as an ambulance. The build sheet and name plate states it's an "Ambulance" which only causes me to question your need to argue these small issues?

By the way all these vehicles have clear titles but not all vehicles are for sale. Just continue to watch the eBay listing as the family posts these items and vehicles for sale and they will all be linked here in the eBay section of this forum.

As for the 1948 Buick which is pictured on eBay its a straight ambulance as its windows are all etched and it was configured as an ambulance. The build sheet and name plate states it's an "Ambulance" which only causes me to question your need to argue these small issues?

The reason people are disputing the issues is because the facts from the original records and designs of the coachbuilder do not match up with the seller description. read the second post about the Flxible. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16071&highlight=1948+Buick

The gentleman that owns these ambulances is extremely nice and I don’t think he or his family would be out to try and scam anyone. It’s nice that they are going to look at actually letting go of some of them but I don’t think that they will sell because of what they will want to get out of them.

I tried to buy the 75 S&S about a year and half ago, the condition of the car is barely a parts car. There is not a lot usable on the car and every body panel is moslty rusted out. I was told that this particular one has sat outside with windows busted and extremely neglected and it was. I was able to have pictures sent to me and was shocked at how bad the condition was but still willing to pursue it. It took a little while but I was finally told a price of 5500 for it with the federal q and 4500 without.

I just hope that they have a realistic expectation of the value so they can be sold to good homes and not just put back into a place of neglect because of overpricing.

Back