landau irons: a photo reference guide

Time to give a little back for this, my 100th qualitative PCS thread. Inspired by a good friend who lurks here and planned for a couple months.

Like the coach builder badge ID reference guide, the intent is to ultimately provide an all-inclusive definitive look at landau irons through the decades not found in any one publication nor website. Took perusing thousands of saved images weeding duplicates, picking best angles that show enough detail, cropping - and of course taking specific shots as well.

Took considerable time researching trying to find what exactly would be correct for my own missing landau irons. In doing so I realized how valuable a tool a guide can be.

Further submissions encouraged. All I ask when adding pictures is that they're limited to landau area/rear of coach and large enough to see detail. Please no distance shots nor complete coaches as it misses the point.

'53 Acme Pontiac:
53acmel.jpg

'59 Flxible Buick:
59flxl.jpg

'61 Flxible Buick:
61flxl.jpg

'59 Eureka:
dsc04380m.jpg

'60 Eureka:
dsc04322b.jpg

'61 Eureka (same style through '60-'64):
61eurekal.jpg

Abbott & Hast standard landau bars, non-year specific, specifically designed for A&H. Two styles showing both the slotted and non-slotted variations. Note the octagonal standard end caps with a slightly raised point in the center. The angle on the green coach is skewed, making it look much shorter than it actually is.

Attachments

• A&H landau.JPG
    A&H landau.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 975
  • A&H landau 2.JPG
    A&H landau 2.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 950
The irons on my 1959 Cadillac S&S are exactly the same as the irons on my 2004 Cadillac S&S.

Does anyone have a picture of a set of irons from a 48 Henney?

Editing function disappears too quickly. In response #6 there is a Superior landau on a Miller Meteor coach that I didn't catch in time. Whoopsie.

Now after looking at the pics vertically, the '68 Superior upside down bars are actually '59-'62 Superior.

This thread will be helpful for people looking for Landau Bars.
Thanks for starting it Attila !

It would also be very helpful to have the measurements from center of mounting hole to center of other mounting hole as a photo doesn't show actual size.

I don't know how they are officially measured but center to center is likely the best way possible.

Mounting hole diameter and mounting bolt/chrome disk length will also be important.

Spacer measurements will be important for those with them as well.

Darren

OK, Now you got me going with this reference guide. Sitting here thinking about how much I like the pointed style of the 60-61 Eureka, very nice. Then I am thinking how much folks love their Landaus and I have never warmed up to them because I like a full view and then some. Okay, I am going try to help make a mo-better thread, because I have a question that has not been answered yet and maybe there are other people that wondered the same thing I have. Where did the term Landau originate? It's an old coachbuilding term for a type of a carriage. Coachbuilding terms transfered over to automobiles and the translation of this term did not make the transfer to automobiles. So any hoo the Landau is a convertible carriage. The Landau bar is derived from the scissors shaped piece of convertible top frame on each side that is open to view when the top is up that is not covered in canvas, used to fold back the roof. In the 20-30's the term came to signify a simulated, convertible style of roof trim, so as to appear of that look of a convertible. The landaulet was used in coachbuilding terms to describe a roof that opened over the rear seats and not the front. Many passengers at times both in horse drawn coaches and vintage automobiles wished to have open, forward views out the top, and sides so hence the term to most accurately descibe the roof configuration. I found the information on wikipedia so if you want to read it further, go there.

Yeah, Mike, the rear side doors are 48" wide. When I get some time I'll pull the coach out and take some detail pictures of it including the interior which has been requested in the past.........

Thanks,
Mike

Miller Meteor

These are on our 1972 Miller Meteor but I have been told they are actually 1971 vintage. They look similar to the ones posted prior listing 1973 Miller Meteor???

Attachments

• landaupanel.jpg
    landaupanel.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 353
Back