1974 S & S Victoria

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92187400@N07/

I have uploaded a few photos of my 74 Victoria on Flickr. I would appreciate your suggestions and comments on restoring this coach.

This coach was garaged most of its life but has suffered from outside storage for the last few years. I want to repair the top and address the rust and paint.

I guess I am asking what would you do? Would you replace the top first or address the rust? I need help with knowing what to ask the body shop to do about the rusted areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Jeff

peal the top off the S&S first. they were usually nasty under them. then when you re do the car you can paint under the top. but of course your first step is to get the car sealed up. so do the rust first then paint then the new top goes on. that is if I was doing it.

Use caution removing top, trying to leave as much intact as possible. Member Stephen Everhart owns an automotive upholstery shop in Lexington, NC and has experience making new ones if patterns are provided. He does nice work and can even ship for you to have a local shop install after roof is repaired. :thumbsup:

never seen one made up in a shop. I have always ordered them semi tailored the seams are in place and everything is long and you trim it to fit as you glue it down. top will be around a grand to you. the S&S will be nailed threw the seams in the window channel. makes getting them off with the glass still in tricky but it can be done. just plug the holes to keep water out when you prep it.

thanks for the replies. In sealing up the hearse, how would you handle the rusting areas on the drivers side? New panels, metal fillers, or other fillers?

Again, thank you for your help.

Jeff

there are a number of options. but the most impotent one would be to kill the rust. there are a number of liquid type rust converters out on the market I use the SEM product as it what is easy to get here. follow the instructions on the product you find. one of the reported to be best places in the country for rust repair sand blasts and used the evercoat product to wand in the holes. the over the wheel well spot and the dog leg can be a problem to repair. the cut out and replace is considered the best. regulator Bondo type filler the least. believe it or not I have seen the tape over the hole and paint done to. but every one of the covers up and the replacement will fail if you don't neutralise's the rust and seal the void. after all the original panel failed did it not. mostly due to water getting in and trapped.

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1108 we'll use the sprayer.jpg
    IMG_1108 we'll use the sprayer.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg