Road Trip Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
What supplies will you be bringing with you on the trip to Flint? Below is my list.

1) water pump
2) spare belts
3) anti-freeze
4) assorted tools
5) upper & lower radiator hoses
6) heavy jack and jack stands
7) oil
8) spare tire
9) jumper cables
10) flashlights-2 minimum
11) flares
12) wheel chocks-right side and left side :D
13) covers for the beacons and sirens
14) glass cleaner, waxes, tire shine
15) rags and towels
16) fold-up chairs
17) portable pop-up canopy to sit under
18) cooler

What else guys?

Oh yeah, the wife too!:(

prestone (pre mixed)
power steering fluid
brake fluid
extra hose clamps

ad to the list

Richard,
Where is the fire extinguisher on your list? Has anyone yet answered the question as to EXACTLY what type, or rating we need on the extinguishers?
Another thing to ad to the list is the expectation of a good time. At least that is one of the things on my list.
Mike

Got a new fire extinquisher mounted in the Lifeliner and it covers all types of fires so it should be good. As for the water pump, I remember a PCS member last year getting way laid for two days due to his water pump going bad on him so he had to special order one in for his hearse. I got a spare just in case and am capable of changing it on the road if have too. After all, these old cars one can actually work on them themselves if need be.
Having a good time is not an option but a requirement and really looking forward to this meet.

Richard and Dean thanks for posting this I am in the process of getting supplies for my 63. I won't be able to make it to Flint (I'm getting married in October) but I am going to the New England PCS gathering in Woodstock Ct. It should be about an hour to an hour and a half ride and it will be the longest I have driven the car. The previous owner drove it on some long trips, so hopefully all will go well.

Camera!!!!!
Spare batteries for anything battery powered, including the camera.
Stuff to put in the cooler.
Portable air tank, full.
4-way lug wrench.
Also, make sure to check the spare tire for air, and to make sure it's not a Pep Boys tire..... ;)
(OK, only folks who were at the PCS meet in '99 will get that joke, but it's appropriate nonetheless for all.)

Fuel pump
fuel filter
spare wheel bearings front & rear
Light bulbs
headlamp bulbs
empty 1 gallon container for traffic jam rest room needs... :D
4 gallons of water
thermostat gasket, in case the thermostat has to be removed
Tools of all sorts and types
Duct tape for things that move that shouldn't
WD 40 for things that should move that don't

oh come on now for get 1,3,5,and 6 only needs to be as big as you need to change a tire. you have everything new on the car. just think it's 1973 get in it and go. no matter what you put in for parts you'll never have the thing that brakes if anything does. the most important one is credit card so if all else fails you rent and car and have the life liner towed back home. ;)

Hi All!

Great list, thanks for sharing! This may help give others an idea of what to take along on their journey to Flint.

No matter how many times I check my list before leaving the house, I'm always forgetting something. At least be sure to bring your cell phone and a number for roadside assistance. If all else fails, at least you will be able to call for help.

It would never get me out of trouble, but one of my favorite things to take along is a Dustbuster. It is great for cleaning up any accumulation of dirt or food particles once I get where I'm going, or right before a show.

Lancaster, PA was my first PCS Meet in 1999. I remember the Pep Boys tire thing, and I'm still scared of them to this day.:D I have attended many meets since then with Dennis Lloyd and his 1959 Superior 3-Way.

Looking forward to seeing all of you here in Flint!

like Paul said # 1 fuel pump and filters

i keep a pump in every procar i drive if it goes no one seems to have one in stock when you need it... and the one you get has been on a shelf for years and won't last "rubber rot" got to luv it

My experience with old fuel pumps that have been sitting on the shelf for years, is that they will get you home, and then continue to work for a while. The new formula gasoline products will have some deteriorating effect on the old rubber diaphragms, but not that serious that you would be wasting time making the swap from a defective unit. If you need to have a pump rebuilt, then I suggest that you find a shop that uses the newest materials that are designed for the new gasoline mixtures, and also work well in our old pumps. It is a lot easier to get a pump rebuilt, than it is to find a suitable replacement, especially on the road...
I was unable to locate a spare for my 1963 Chrysler, so I bought a "core" from someone that I know on the West coast. Today, I got a call from a dealer that I have known for years telling me that he has 2 NOS units on the shelf. Now, I have all my bases covered....

things to take

I have been looking for rebuild kits for my wore out fuel pumps. No one seems to have rebuild kits anymore. I have been told only a professional rebuilder can get rebuild kits because of liability concerns. I told the guy that told me that, what I thought of the idea. Professional just means you get paid to do it...not that you really know what you are doing or are really capable. Just getting paid. My pumps are put together with screws so I know they are rebuildable. My new fuel pump is only about a month old. It does have the new type material for the diaphram. The water pump was new just last year. Again no rebuild kits for us self taught wrenchers. I think I need a trailer for all the recommended items. How many points will a hitch cost me?
Mike
61M-M

Last edited:
The PCS roster is the only things I bring (if I remember that), a credit card, and my collector car benefits card. if the car is in good condition no need to carry a parts store around with you, you will not have what breaks anyway. Just remember newer cars break down as much as the older ones (if not more) and no one carries a parts house with them.

All very great ideas for supplies and continue to build my list. Got my new water pump in yesterday that I will carry with me but the darn gasket is broke and hope that is not an issue if I need to use it. I will be bringing some gasket sealer.

It is a big thing, so go back and get another pump gasket. It is going to be a lot of extra work to change the pump just because the new gasket failed.

The PCS roster is the only things I bring (if I remember that), a credit card, and my collector car benefits card. if the car is in good condition no need to carry a parts store around with you, you will not have what breaks anyway. Just remember newer cars break down as much as the older ones (if not more) and no one carries a parts house with them.

I'm with you on this on John. the most I have ever done on the road was give something to some one else. roll of duck tape, can of wd-40 to clean off bugs and lub that sticking door. cleaning supplys, credit card and have fun, go with the flow on my agenda. we washed the 86 with the shower soap from the room in both Kingsport and Mt Laurel. did the windex wash in Denver so I may add a small bottle of car wash soap to my cleaning bucket. you learn after a meet or two.;)

It is a big thing, so go back and get another pump gasket. It is going to be a lot of extra work to change the pump just because the new gasket failed.
Ok. Ordered new gasket today and new upper and lower radiator hoses. Now I only need a thermostat and gasket and fluids and should be good to go.
Great ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back