Lindberg Packard

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean Wilkinson

Although not a pro car, the Lindberg Packard is now on display at the Ontario Transportation Museuem (Heritage Village) where the Ontario EMS Museum is located. THought this might be of interest (or an incentive) for those interested in visiting the EMS Museum either prior to after the meet in Flint

http://www.windsorstar.com/travel/Piece+history+Lindbergh+rolls+into+Essex/1772432/story.html

Piece of history - Lindbergh's car - rolls into Essex

By Rita Poliakov, The Windsor StarJuly 9, 2009

Stan Uher gets out of Charles Lindbergh's 1927 Packard open touring car that he restored. Lindbergh rode in the car as he was celebrated as the first to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean in 1927 with the largest ticker tape parade in New York City history. Then New York mayor Jimmy Walker gave the car to Lindberg following the parade. Uher delivered the car to the Canadian Transportation Museum in Essex on Wednesday and the car will remain on public display until October.Photograph by: PAULA TROTTER, The Windsor StarESSEX, Ont. -- The first time Harry Bergman saw Charles Lindbergh’s 1927 Packard open touring car was more than 40 years ago in Niagara Falls. The second time was Wednesday, when it rolled into the front driveway of the Canadian Transportation Museum and Heritage Village.

“I was 20 years old, I visited Niagara Falls. I had to go to the museum to see that car,” said Bergman, the chairman of the museum. “I’m excited about seeing it today.”

Lindbergh, the first pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic, was given the 1927 Packard by the mayor of New York after a parade in his honour. It eventually ended up in a museum in Niagara Falls, and was then sold to its current owner, Wes Thompson of Blenheim.

The car was restored several years ago by Stan Uher and was recently used in the movie Amelia about pioneering woman aviator Amelia Earhart. The movie opens in October.

The car ended up in front of the museum thanks to a request from Mickey Moulder, the volunteer vice-chairman. Moulder spoke to Uher, who asked Thompson about the car, which had been sitting in his garage for four or five years.

“He’s always been a very generous, community-spirited man,” Uher said. “When the request was made, it didn’t take long to make a decision. He would like many more people to see it.”

The Packard, worth about $250,000, will stay at the museum until October, when it will be taken to the Amelia premier. Bergman hopes the museum can keep the car until next summer.

“It’s such as piece of history. (Charles Lindbergh) drove it himself,” he said. “I hope it will bring visitors, that’s our goal, and to show history being preserved.”

The car may help get a younger audience interested in history, Bergman said.

“People learn from the past. Our forefathers experienced things, we have to learn from that. When kids come … out here, they experience all the artifacts that their great-grandfathers used,” he said.

“We’ll build a theme around it, we’ll do a backdrop to it so people can feel more of the past. We think there’s enough stories with this car (that) kids will say, ‘That really happened?’”

For Moulder, the car is more than just a piece of history.

“Museums are two things, a museum and show business. You have to bring a crowd out,” he said. “Something like this, it’s a win-win, (guests will) get their money’s worth.”

Uher, who drove the car from Blenheim to the museum, appreciates the Packard.

“It’s great, it runs and drives just like brand new. And to think of all the history in the car, to be sitting in the seat that famous people have driven in (in) the past.… It’s kind of cool,” he said.

Tell Stan...

Tell Stan to quit messing around with that old Packard and get John and Patti's car done for our International Meet already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back