Superior Backboard

I am continuing to restore the interior of my 1976 Cadillac Superior ambulance. Members of the Franklin Lakes Ambulance have advised me there was a wood backboard mounted under the full length squad bench. I have found some Superior advertising which shows a small backboard under a partial length bench, but no backboard under a full length bench.

The attached photo shows what I believe were the two brackets to hold one side of the board. (The white papers are just there to highlight the brackets and knob.) My question revolves around the 3/8-16 thumb screw at the other end of the bench. How did this anchor the board? Is there a missing bracket or did the screw go through a hole in the board? I have searched Superior literature, but have been unable to discover an answer.

Before anyone comments, I am a NJ EMT Instructor so I am aware of the recent changes in spinal immobilization, but still want to make a board for my ambulance.

Attachments

• Bench.JPG
    Bench.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 115
I remember those backboards. I probably have a dozen old backboards. Unfortunately, none like that. I'm willing to bet that someone in the PCS has one sitting in their garage or shed. :thumbsup: The board slid into those brackets, and the screw went through a hole in the backboard.

Ask the people that remember the backboard, if it was made of wood, or was it a plastic one that was manufactured by Ferno. Either way, I believe that it was held on by those larger "thumb" screws.
Paul

The thumb screw is to short to go threw a back board so it must have held the tin bracket. there would have to have been another holder or two on the other end.

Back