Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Funeral Related Items

Funeral Related Items For the discussion of Funeral Related items as used on funeral coaches, etc.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 PM
PCS Pacific Northwest Chapter President

Thanked 2,003 Times in 811 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Hearse useage

To all the funeral directors here, I would like your thoughts. Recently, a friend of mines father passed away. He was a Ford-Lincoln salesman for over 50 years. The family owned funeral home in the town where he lived only has a Cadillac hearse. The son of the deceased told the Funeral director that NO WAY NO HOW was his dad taking his final ride in a Cadillac. The funeral director claims that they were unable to locate in the Seattle-Western Washington area a Lincoln hearse. So my friend says, I have a friend who has one and we can borrow it (meaning MY hearse). The Funeral Direector flat out refused to allow it and the ended up carrying the deceased in an Econoline cargo van. your thoughts , please!
Denny Shira (08-20-2018), Paul Steinberg  (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Franklin View Post
To all the funeral directors here, I would like your thoughts. Recently, a friend of mines father passed away. He was a Ford-Lincoln salesman for over 50 years. The family owned funeral home in the town where he lived only has a Cadillac hearse. The son of the deceased told the Funeral director that NO WAY NO HOW was his dad taking his final ride in a Cadillac. The funeral director claims that they were unable to locate in the Seattle-Western Washington area a Lincoln hearse. So my friend says, I have a friend who has one and we can borrow it (meaning MY hearse). The Funeral Direector flat out refused to allow it and the ended up carrying the deceased in an Econoline cargo van. your thoughts , please!
It's all about Liability if something went wrong. The FH didn't want to be sued. If you were given $'s for it's use, your insurance would not cover! Just the way the world is anymore!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,233 Times in 2,435 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I would bet the FD would have changed his mind had they told him they were going to take the decedant elsewhere! Your coach is fully insured, I am sure, and would have been covered as long as you were not taking any money for your services.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Paul Steinberg  (08-19-2018), Rick Franklin (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0

I'm sure it varies from state to state, but what type of insurance is required by the vehicle owner to "rent" the hearse?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 PM
PCS Member / Funeral Director

Thanked 1,273 Times in 376 Posts
Groans: 3

Rick, my knee jerk reaction is that a funeral director truly trying to assist the family, would make a call to their dealer to ask about access to one, or ask if they know of another fd who had one. I had the same situation about 3 years ago, a funeral home 100 miles away knew I had a Lincoln, a gentleman made a preneed and told the fd he would go the grave in a Lincoln or they could carry him away in a van. The fd called me and I loaned them the Lincoln WITH ONE OF OUR DRIVERS, which is what our insurance company is going to want.
I hadn't thought about the liability situation immediately like it has been mentioned here, however, I think I would do everything I could keep someone from being taken to their grave in a cargo van.
This business is like everything else, varying degrees from firm to firm of wanting to bother with some situations or make an extra effort by staff.
Paul Steinberg  (08-19-2018), Rick Franklin (08-19-2018), Terry Lange (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:42 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,447 Times in 6,110 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

when we took Mother to the Grave site we used the 67 crown. the Funeral home lead the possession.I loaded mom in the car and fallowed them. that satisfied there liability. as I had relived them of the remains and I taken possession of them. the 4 of us kids could ride in the combo with her. all my car was one more in the procession. that they lead.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:54 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,730 Times in 3,847 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

When a friend of mine passed away suddenly, I told the family that I had access to a vintage hearse. They asked the funeral director, and he had no problem with using it for the final ride. I drove the hearse from the funeral home to the cemetery, and followed him in his lead car. No one ever asked about insurance, or even mentioned it. The hearse was insured by the owner (Jim Staruk), and I am also insured for any vehicle that I borrow or rent.
I wonder where the FD got the Ford cargo van. As was said above, I would have gone to another funeral home.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,089 Posts

I have never rented any Hearse I have however rented both Police cars and undercover cars to Police Departments. All that was done was they made a call to THEIR insurance company to add our car as a rental and both we and the department involved were covered. I would assume if the FD involved had done the same with his insurance company all would have been OK liability wise. Remember Henry Ford made his last ride in a Packard cause Ford could not find a Lincoln

Last edited by Peter Grave; 08-20-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: add
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Grave For This Useful Post:
Rick Franklin (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 AM

The Econoline van they used was their own van which was purchased from the local Ford Dealer and the salesman was none other than the decendant. In this particular town, your funeral options are the local family owned home, SCI, or several funeral service providers who operate out of a store front office without a brick & mortar Funeral home per se. What gets me is I know of at one Funeral Home in Seattle 17 miles away that has a Lincoln hearse
Old 08-20-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kramer View Post
It's all about Liability if something went wrong. The FH didn't want to be sued. If you were given $'s for it's use, your insurance would not cover! Just the way the world is anymore!
i understand your point being made. However, I would have gladly provided my coach fre of charge for my friends family