Carrier bearing - 67 vs 69

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
As you may know, i took the 67 to the shop to have the carrier bearing and the U-Joints replaced. The carrier bearing is shot, and is in dire need of replacement. The bearing is a Spicer 210344X, which, of course, I can not find locally so the car is out of service until I receive one from the US.

Does anyone know if Superior used the same bearing on their 69? If they did, I might as well order 2 so that I have one ready for when I start the work on the 69.

Thanks Russ.

I wonder if anyone has the part number for the Cadillac part, because all of the hits I get for the Spicer 210344X say that is is discontinued and there are no replacements.

I know the replacement bearing (not the carrier itself) for the 71-76 Cadillac CC cars at Napa is 6908-VAL. The original was a New Departure 88077E66Z.

I was able to use the caddy bearing on the drive line of my 72 olds. but the rubber mount was not the same. lucky for me mine was not damaged. but he only way to tell would be to crawl under and read the numbers on the 69. because as you know it all depends on what superior had on hand. since they made up the stub shaft they could have used anything off the shelf.

The center carrier bearing will be the same for your 67 & 69 Pontiacs. Cadillac carrier bearings are diffrent. I had to replace the carrier bearing on my 1966 Pontiac combo and discovered it is also the same one used on my 1970 Pontiac hearse.

The center carrier bearing will be the same for your 67 & 69 Pontiacs. Cadillac carrier bearings are diffrent. I had to replace the carrier bearing on my 1966 Pontiac combo and discovered it is also the same one used on my 1970 Pontiac hearse.

You wouldn't have the part # by any chance?

Hummmm. Makes me wonder if mine is going bad since I seem to have a little humming sound coming from that area on the Lifeliner. I had the rear end service a couple years ago and a new carrier bearing installed in 2009.

Richard

Word to the wise....

Get your spare carrier bearing now, because if you wait too long, it will be out of stock and you will be SOL!!:pat:

If the carrier is no longer avalible, a good drivetrain shop can find something that will work with minimum modification. When I had the drive shaft rebuilt in my 49 a couple years ago they told me if the rubber surround was bad (not avalible, but the bearing is) they could put a carrier from something else in it, and guarenteed to work.

Greetings, im new to this forum and highly delighted. I recently replaced my rear carrier assembly on my '69 superior sovereign. Powertrain industries of CA sells a complete assy. For about $180 w/ship. Part No. 3R80-30. Another affordable option was getting the original mount revulcanized with urethane. "superior" to the original.

Back