'49 National Pontiac

better shape then my 53. wish they had at least opened the back door and took one picture. looks like the divider is still there. the side glass missing is all flat. the rear door glass is standard pontiac or chevy. they used the same for at least 10 years. anyone interesting in doing one this looks to be a good car to start out with

From the picture looks like a combination (cabinets with doors). What a neat coach looks real good. Glass is real easy, seats look wrong from what you can see, the chrome and stainless are great. Correct wheels and caps easy to find and cheap when found. Chevie tailights are cool. Most parts for Pontiacs of this era are still reasonable and easily found. someone should go for it.

I would just replace the glass and rims and drive it as-is! I love the "patina" on this one!

i'n not sure if National kept the stock buckets or built a bench. finding a set of factory ones would not be that bad. Imas the seller if he could post a picture of the back interior. if they gutted it back there it's good luck finding stuff. it does run start and drive but the hose in the engine room says not on the original tank.

From Message above: Glass is real easy,

That is true of almost all the glass except the rear door glass. It has a curve to it and is not flat glass. These are not easy to find, you usually need to buy the whole door if you can find one.
If someone here is bidding and wins let me know. I have an extra rear door glass which will fit 49 - 52 Chevy and Pontiac Delivery rear doors.
(Ed: correct me if I'm wrong but don't believe I am)

Beautiful vehicle but would like to see the rear interior.

I think this is a great opportunity to start with a nice solid vehicle to restore. But, I think with correct wheels and tires, replace missing glass, a major cleaning and a once over on the mechanicals, that it would be a fun car to leave as-is.

it would be Chevy up to 54 at least and I'm guessing earlier on the sedan delivery. they used that rear door a lot. national, ACC would buy them and the frame to put in a lot of there conversions. as Pon and Chevy are the same on that part you have a lot to chose from. it's the same door and glass in my 53 and the Chevy did not do a body change till 55.

my Hollanders doesn't do body parts on the sedan delivery other then what they share with the cars

I don't know that you could classify this car as being "original". Solid, yes. Slightly modified when the glass, rear floor, etc. were removed.

Smells a little funny Bidders ID not available (protected) sellers buddys may be the bidders. My motto is "If its too good to be true it ain't". Wait and see if it comes around again. This may be the Scottsdale make a market principal in action.

but hay it really makes me think of cleaning up the 53 and putting it up. from there description they sell a lot so good buddies in the auction are a possibility.
but if it is that, then some one forgot to back off at the right moment. but still some one else will willing to pay a lot for the running shell

Yeah but hype and the thrill of the moment do a lot. Nevada gambling is living proof of this. If you ever get a chance go to a government surplus vehicle auction and watch the squirrils get mad and run each other up its a hoot.

but hay it really makes me think of cleaning up the 53 and putting it up. from there description they sell a lot so good buddies in the auction are a possibility.
but if it is that, then some one forgot to back off at the right moment. but still some one else will willing to pay a lot for the running shell

Gotta say say, Ed, might be the right idea. My '51, like your '53, is all original w/ all the glass, the rear is complete as are the wheels, etc and it will do more than "lot drive". That being said it has to be worth more than 12K :yum:

That was one weird auction w/ all the "private" bidding. But if it WAS someone here I still have the back glass available. :D

If anyone elects to take this on I will provide all the info I can in pictures, dimensions and such based on my 52. They are very similar.

Back