purple high beam headlites

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
anyone know where i can get a pair of purple rectangular high beam lights for my Lincoln? It uses a 4 lamp system. I also need/want a "wig -wag" unit, but Im assuming I can order that through Galls or one of my towing supply catalogs.

Last edited:
Purple high beams

I just received a set from that very same link, it took a bit of time with customs and all but I am simply delighted. I will try them on the road this week maybe......just for a drive and see if I get pulled over.

I would also like a wig wag device......if anyone can help.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1462-2.jpg
    IMG_1462-2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 445
three way or alternating flasher at any parts store. you can ask for a wrecker one to sometimes that jogs there memory as to what you need.

You can get purple glass paint at any hobby or craft store, and paint your bulbs. If you don't like the results, you can clean it off with some brillo pads. The paint is under $5 and sometimes you can even find it in a spray can.

I just received a set from that very same link, it took a bit of time with customs and all but I am simply delighted. I will try them on the road this week maybe......just for a drive and see if I get pulled over.

I would also like a wig wag device......if anyone can help.

Dave

I used this on my 73 Lifeliner for the headlights. Real simple to hook up. Power in on "X", one line "L" to one headlight and "L" to the other headlight. You will need to ground them. Yuo can get at NAPA for about $23.

Fkasher002.jpg

Don't forget to buy the connectors for the headlamps, so you don't have to butcher up your wire harness if you decide to put it back to original. They cost about $3 each and are a bargain compared to what a replacement wire harness costs...

Is that one you can turn on and off and still use the high beams like normal or is it one that only comes on when the high beams are on?

Only comes on using a seperate switch, no high beams. I have mine working off the switch panel inside the ambulance. Paul is right, buy a set of connectors so you do not butcher the wiring system on your car.

works like a charm........

Paul, I have advocated using stained glass paint for light bulbs on the message board many times. I'm not sure if anyone ever took the advice or not. I have made purple bulbs for Tim Fantin and Bill Vance and red, blue, and amber bulbs for myself with very good results. You are right, the stained glass paint is in a spray can and is about $5 each. Maybe people will try it and save some $$...........

cheaper is good

Thanks...I think I may well have paid a bit much and it is good to know about the paint, plus.....it would be easy I think if you get stopped.....to simply carry a steel wool pad....and use it on the lenses to satisfy the authorities. Maybe I worry too much!:cheers:

Under normal driving conditions, the stained glass paint will hold up well to the elements. If you live in an area that uses rock salt or sand on the roads in the winter, that will "sand blast" off any coating that you use. It is easy enough to do it over if this happens.

im wondering......in order to NOT run afoul of the law, since most law enforcement that I know out here are oblivious to "purple" being a "funeral color", if i should play it safe and go with amber on the high beams? That way, they would look like amber fog lamps but when activated in wig wag mode would still give the desired effect.

You would get the same desired effect with plain white bulbs also. How many police cars have you seen that have wig wag headlamps that are use colored bulbs today? People notice the flash, not the color of the bulb.

Only comes on using a seperate switch, no high beams. I have mine working off the switch panel inside the ambulance. Paul is right, buy a set of connectors so you do not butcher the wiring system on your car.

You can buy a wig wag flasher fron Galls for $19.95 and still use your high beams. I have them on all my cars and they work great.

Every state is different when it comes to laws on vehicle lighting, but wherever you are you should be safe having purple high beams as long as you aren't driving around with them ON unless you're at a car show or an actual funeral.

Just to be safe, find an article online about "the silent siren" where this is explained that purple has always been the specified color for funeral lighting & keep a copy in your coach.

I ran purple high beams in the '67 M-M and Kevin ran them for years before I bought the coach from Ron with no hassles. They were very dark purple, almost looked blue when not lit. Also running red high beams in the '66 Superior ambulance currently with no problems and have driven it all over the place. Having a "silent siren" article with you seems like a good idea to play it safe.

3494875083_34a1878848.jpg

Every state is different when it comes to laws on vehicle lighting, but wherever you are you should be safe having purple high beams as long as you aren't driving around with them ON unless you're at a car show or an actual funeral.

Just to be safe, find an article online about "the silent siren" where this is explained that purple has always been the specified color for funeral lighting & keep a copy in your coach.

I ran purple high beams in the '67 M-M and Kevin ran them for years before I bought the coach from Ron with no hassles. They were very dark purple, almost looked blue when not lit. Also running red high beams in the '66 Superior ambulance currently with no problems and have driven it all over the place. Having a "silent siren" article with you seems like a good idea to play it safe.

Just because you have the silent siren artical with you does not mean you will not have any trouble. I know in Iowa it does not matter if they are lit or not you can get stopped for them (red also), although I have never had any problems with red or purple lighting, I know some that have. I know of a funeral home that was pulled over DURING a procession and ticketed for using purple lights, before they changed the Iowa code allowing them but the code states you must be a licensed funeral home to run them. City codes still vary, for example in Marshalltown the last I knew wig wags even in white were illegal, only amber flashing is allowed.

Purple Funeral Lights

These look blue turned off.... BLUE means = law enforcement in most states and that's what they are "touchy" about.... the other example that really look PURPLE are probably more explainable. MM

Back