Wheel Stud Threads

I have a 1957 Eureka Landau Cadillac Hearse (I love saying that). Anyway, I was taking the wheel off yesterday, and I was suprised that the studs thread clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen. I did not strip the threads...I was careful. I was told that these were reverse threaded...So, either I missunderstood, they were wrong, or the studs were replaced. Any thoughts?
I also have a 59; how are the wheel studs threaded on this vehicle?

Thank you in advance for your reply!!!!

Left side of the vehicle use right handed threaded studs, and the right side of the car use left handed studs. The studs are pressed in from the back side. The car was manufactured at a time that the auto manufacturers were concerned with the studs loosening up from the forward momentum of the vehicle. As we all know today, that doesn't happen.

I took the Right-Rear wheel off yesterday...it was a RHT. Does that mean they were replaced? I am planning on removing the other wheels tomorrow. I am replacing the tires...I just do not want to damage anything.

No the reverse (left hand) threads are on the LEFT SIDE only. The right side is always standard NOT reverse. As Paul pointed out manufacturers got paranoid about the left self loosening due to wheel motion. Chrysler was big on this for years GM to a much lesser degree. Many a MOPAR came in with left side studs sheared off due to a moron leaning on the air wrench till it snapped. Always liked Buick and Packard smart folks lug BOLTS no rusty threads and no reverse issues.

it cough me by surprise on the 58 also. but if you look you will see a L on the studs on the left side meaning they are left handed thread. no marks on the right indicates they are a standard thread rotation.

it's some to always remember to tell any one if your going to take it in to get
repair work done. thats's some thing most shops never in counter now days. why they continued this on the Commercial chassis will after they stopped on stranded cars I don't know.

I remember my Dad trying to get me on it with his jeep wagon. he was changing a tire an I was up to the age of wanting to do stuff . he handed me the lug wrench and said here quick take that nut off. he was surprise when it took it right off. I just turned the wrench the same direction he had. monkey see monkey do.

Back