Question About Superior Pontiac Driveshaft

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
Did Superior make the center support for the lengthened driveshaft on my '68 Superior Pontiac? Is there a part that will interchange with it? If not, what can be done to replace it? Any info appreciated!

Center support

Did Superior make the center support for the lengthened driveshaft on my '68 Superior Pontiac? Is there a part that will interchange with it? If not, what can be done to replace it? Any info appreciated!

[URL="http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5795"]Here is a old thread on it.[/URL]

This is one good source on parts.

A pic would help this is a No. 3R80-30
Which was avaible here last time I checked. I belive this is what yours is. Any good driveshaft shop should be able to get it and install it.

Attachments

• 3R80-30_dim.jpg
    3R80-30_dim.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
[URL="http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5795"]Here is a old thread on it.[/URL]

This is one good source on parts.

A pic would help this is a No. 3R80-30
Which was avaible here last time I checked. I belive this is what yours is. Any good driveshaft shop should be able to get it and install it.

Any chance this same bearing fits a Lifeliner? I had to use a bearing clutch from a A/C unit the last time I changed my center bearing. And on my old Criterion used one from a GMC van.

as long as the rubber is still good that surrounds the bearing things can be rebuilt for a price. the center bearing is still around the rubber is not for the Cadillac commercial chassis. but this car like my Oldsmobile is not a Cadillac.

what superior used in the Pontiac. has to be around we never hear much talk of having a problem replacing one. the ones Dan has pictures are most likely the one in question.

but like the shop that did the one on Richards car getting a little inventive as to how to mount a different one in the space may be required. all this bearing does is support the stub shaft they made up for the stretch in the body but once she goes out your in trouble.

Bill time to post a picture of what you have. I think it may well be GM pickup. But it needs to be seen.

Lots of styles of the center support and it could have been modified over the years. As Peter said, a pic will really help identify it.

Thanks guys, I will get a picture of it as soon as possible and post it. They tell me it bolts on one side, but I know nothing about it.

A Few Pics

You guys will probably realize, that I am no mechanic, I have never fixed anything on any car!

Attachments

• Support 003.jpg
    Support 003.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Support 004.jpg
    Support 004.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Support 005.jpg
    Support 005.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Support 006.jpg
    Support 006.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 232
A Few Pics

A little hard to tell but looks like the same one that was used in my 63 Buick just on it side.

Attachments

• DSC01188.jpg
    DSC01188.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 192
Nope the Buick and Cadillac use the constant velocity joint. The Pontiac from the pictures uses a regular cross type joint with a center bearing mounted in some kind of rubber retainer. From the pictures its possible there is nothing wrong with the center bearing this will only be proved when the shaft is removed. The issue may only be the deteriorated rubber mount. I have never seen a mount like this one. From the way the nuts are tightened (unequally) I think that helped bring the failure forward. You should have quite a few driveshaft shops in your North Jersey area I would visit them armed with pictures and see if anyone identifys that weird rubber mount.

it's called a pillar mount. if you get it off and take it to a bearing place they can match it up to something new. vary inventive those boys from superior. welded in the support and mounted it on it's side. this type of bearing is used in a lot of machinery shafts and trucks and cars. now it just finding one that mates to your drive line and maybe redo the mount if necessary to tie it down. living in farm country has it advantages.

you are most likely not going to find one by application. so it's get it off, take it down and they can match it up with something.

you take that down to a farm implement dealer they have it swapped and out in a couple hours.

OK Ed my guess is in machinery its mounted with the nuts up. Superior had to mount it sideways. The bolts down it would get caught on steep driveways etc. and up it would hit or stick through the floor. Like you said clever guys at Superior.

the 58 has a similar set up in the center of that x frame. the boys at the tyranny shop forgot to bolt it back down. we got it off the trailer and made a run round the block that sounded anything but right.

but I have seen these hung form the top' mounted on the side or bottom. as room dictated. the rubber was to keep the movement from transferring up . but a solid one will work and keep it on the road.

the ones with ears would simply require a tap on either side to be able to bolt it on. all that is required is the hole in the bearing be the right size for the shaft to go threw and a inventive man with a welder.

Richard found one to fix the problem in his,Bill needs to do the same. but in this R&R world we live it there just aren't that may blacksmiths left.

New center support and bearing

Thanks, Daniel for your source info on this. I called on Monday, had my new bearing today. If anyone else is wanting one, they have ONE left now. Now I can get mine changed and get new U-joints while I am at it. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20150824_151552.jpg
    20150824_151552.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20150828_214824.jpg
    20150828_214824.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 113
Back