Cool Vintage Auto Accessory

Meant merely as a joke. Actually, I can't imagine having one hanging from the column like that. That would last about one day before I would want to throw it out the window!

not a uncommon accessory in the 30-40s cars. the seat was set so you sat up in them and you feet were flat on the floor. it was out of the way but handy. those good old days the glove box would only hold gloves. dome lights were not everywhere and there were no trunk lights. no one drank energy drinks so no cup holders. your boot tops held your flask just fine and the flashlight was handy right there. flat tires a common thing. no street lights and dark was dark.

but today it's like the picnic basket you got to have in the trunk. and rubber bladed defroster fan. you just got to have to fit in.

what he said

What ED said.
Western Auto, Moore's and Cussins & Fern stores were full of this kind of much needed accessories at one time. Of course now you can't find any of those stores so you have to go to the internet. What else fits into the must have accessory line? How about curb feelers, vent window wind deflectors, the little wing with the propeller blade that fit over your hood ornament to change the airflow to the windshield so the bugs did not hit the glass, bumper end markers with a light so you knew where the corner of your car was in relation to the fence post or whatever. And what about that coon or squirrel tail hanging from the radio antenna? Or the blue dots in the tail light lenses? And don't forget the headlight eyebrows and visors. Okay, I know some of you are older than me so tell me what we have missed here.
Mike

3 sided Parking light on top of the real left fender on cars of the 1920's...

3 sided parking light

Now that is old! Not the 3 sided parking light, the guy that wrote about it!
I knew there was someone out there older than me.
Can we add outside sunvisors here? And the little chrome or stainless plate under your door handles to keep from scratching the paint. And plaid saran seat covers or the clear plastic ones from Fingerhut. Wolf whistle anyone? Exhaust extensions and how about some dice hanging from the rear view mirror?
I know some of you can think of more of these wonderful must haves.
Mike

Plastic Kleenex tissue box that clips onto the sun visor, and hold the personal sized package of tissues, or you can add a metal tissue box with the car manufacturers logo on it.
The door handle guards and roof mounted visor are 1950's era accessories. Somewhere in the cellar, I have what looks like a slingshot. It is chrome plated, and the instruction say to remove the dome light, insert under the light. Its purpose is to hold the gentleman's hat when he is driving. You slide the hat into the U shaped holder with the bottom of the brim facing upward.
Oh....... as far as being old, I am not that much older than you.. Just a few decades....

All of those old after-market accessories are getting very desirable and highly sought after. Just watch the stuff on eBay and you will be amazed.

More kool stuff

Ohh and of course ,suicide knobs and desert water bags that hung from the front of your car.....:thumbsup:
And for VW accessories for 50's and 60's era VW offered UNDER SEAT gas can,held about a gallon and a half....and also a coffee maker (percolater no less) that you plugged into cigar lighter(Rather then cigarette lighter)and made 10 oz of coffee.....:thumbsup:

Kool Stuff

Does anyone remember the pipe cleaner poodle-shaped air cleaners from the '70s??

I DO remember Air Freshners......do you remember these from the 60's ??

002_zps5db2ac63.jpg

...Somewhere in the cellar, I have what looks like a slingshot. It is chrome plated, and the instruction say to remove the dome light, insert under the light. Its purpose is to hold the gentleman's hat when he is driving. You slide the hat into the U shaped holder with the bottom of the brim facing upward.....
That was still around fairly recently, may still be around. The state troopers use that for their trooper hats. In MD, they only recently switched to a hat-holder that goes over the back/front of the passenger's seat.

Attachments

• AR-708039761.jpg
    AR-708039761.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 54
There was also the compass, usually attached to the windshield divider. In some areas of the country there was also an automobile altimeter. At certain heights you would have to get out out and adjust the air / fuel mixture on the carb. Then there was the dash item holder which held a cigarette pack, matches and coins. There was a auto registration holder that wrapped around the steering column and was held in place by springs. Back then, at lease in the days of my '52 Chevy, the following were considered accessories by the manufacture: Inside sunvisors, arm rests, outside rear view mirrors, oil filters and fuel filters.

Most of what has been mentioned I have for my, almost, restored 1952 Chevrolet Sedan Deluxe. I have a lot more accessories, none repops, from back in that era. I don't plan to to put them on but they are fun to have.

Attachments

• Ruby - Showcase 025.jpg
    Ruby - Showcase 025.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 53
Back