window signs or decals

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
Does anyone have pictures of the type or types of signage that would have been used in the early 60s for ambulance windows? Were these designs left to the using departments or did rules on signs exsist? What about color(s)?
I see different types. Since I am thinking of getting something made for my coach I want to get the correct style.
Thanks for the help.
Mike

more on signs and decals

One thing I should have put in the starter thread was that my coach is a combination. That being said, I think etching the glass would be out. Standing signs in the windows would work, but I would still like for them to look period correct.
Thanks,
Mike
61 MM

crosses

back before the " Star of Life" crosses were common side window emblems. Internationals had gold crosses with red edging that slanted forwards on the patient compartment side doors and were straight up and down on the back ones. Mine has etched glass stripes as well. I assume the stars were decals. Mine had been updated to star of life's so I'm trying to figure if to try spray painting gold crosses or get laser cut vinyl ones made...

Exclusive ambulance here had a custom stencil of an oval with a cross in the centre with four thin strips running back. They just painted them, the owners son had the stencil in his basement but I've lost contact with him over the years....

Mike, attached are two photos of what I believe your M-M would have had. In fact, I have to check my prints, but I think your car actually did have them at one time.

In general, the combination signs were ordered from the manufacturer with the car. Ambulance window decals generally were the same. And each manufacturer had their own designs. Some owners did make their own painted logo or removable signs, and some moved a removable sign from one car to the next as well.

Attachments

• 60MMCadComboRStathamGA8.jpg
    60MMCadComboRStathamGA8.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 156
  • ambwindowsign.jpg
    ambwindowsign.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 157
Mike,
Do you have brackets along the side windows. Whatever you do, don't use suction cups, the judges actually marked points off my car because my signs were held by suction cups. (Which were period correct for 1976) Aaron Greene borrowed a set of mine and had decals made which he mounted to Plexiglas. They looked even better than the originals.

window signs

Mike, just a couple of thoughts on your question. First of all, as has been mentioned with a combination it would have been appropriate to have the removable plexiglass panels. If you decide to go that way the brackets used to hold the name plate on your doors would be the same for holding these panels. These are readily available new, or I'm sure someone on this forum could probably help you out. My car didn't have these originally and I got my set from Danny Ryder. I had my panels made by a local sign shop, and my son Kyle did the design work for them on the CAD at work. (knew that education would come in handy some day !) I had him do them because I never liked the ones Superior used from the factory in that era. Thet were pretty blah compared to the ones S&S and Miller Meteor used. So while mine are not authentic for a Superior they are typical of the period. One more suggestion I would make is that if you have some made have them use 1/4" Lexan rather that plexiglass. It is more expensive but much more resistant to scratches. Check my threads and you will find a picture of the ones I had done. Hope this helps !

ambulance signs

Thank you one and all for your comments and help.
Steve those pics of the aluminum signs were a big help. Would you believe Shelley got me one of those for Christmas a few years ago? Had no idea it was/might be period correct for my 61 MM. I liked it because it was an ambulance item. Thought for some reason it was older. Now I will have to do some digging in the catacombs of the basement to find them. I found another at a flea market. So I have a pair in hiding
With Greg's advice I can also go the Lexan route. I have what is left from building a windshield for a sidecar with a friend.
Again, thanks to one and all for your help.
Mike

Back