Carb throttle cable end

While at the car show the part of my gas cable that hooks to the carb popped off. It appears as if there might be something missing that holds it on.

So, I'm looking for that cable piece that mounts to the carb.

Currently holding the cable on with a pick pony tail rubberband and a zip tie.

Thanks.

While at the car show the part of my gas cable that hooks to the carb popped off. It appears as if there might be something missing that holds it on.

So, I'm looking for that cable piece that mounts to the carb.

Currently holding the cable on with a pick pony tail rubberband and a zip tie.

Thanks.

This may help. It's the piece that slips onto a ball attached to the carb. Mine slips on but will not stay on. I hope I don't lose points on judging... hahahaha Moving the spring still does not allow enough room to keep the cable on.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_9702.jpg
    IMG_9702.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 180
Ok Macgyver... you need the sheet metal piece that wraps around the end of the rod, it's spring loaded so the ball snaps in. I'll see what I have in the garage to help you.
(may trade for the pink hair tie)

Ok Macgyver... you need the sheet metal piece that wraps around the end of the rod, it's spring loaded so the ball snaps in. I'll see what I have in the garage to help you.
(may trade for the pink hair tie)

Oh, so that's what I'm missing. Thanks. This happened at the car show and we had to grab what we could so I could get home.

This is what you need Richard, you can see the sheet metal clips that wrap around your linkage so the ball snaps into the rod. I don't know why they don't just sell the clip itself...

3811g.jpg

Link to the part: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...e_-1_-1&keyword=carburetor+brackets+&+linkage

dosen't that one stay on with a E clip? if one put the the male part back into the female part then, slips the the end of the return spring in the grove. that may be all it takes to hold it also. put the sping in the larger of the groves it's one the wrong side of the cable anyway. then eather a E or D clip went into the little grove to keep it from sliding off. one of those somBs. because every time you tried to put it back on or take it off you keep saying darn did you see were the somb went

I'll have to do some looking in my spare parts collection and see if I have one of the spring clips you need Richard. That's a regular GM item, but not sure if you can get one just by itself or not. If I have one I'll let you know. And after tonights weather predictions I can send some white stuff with it if I have one. :p

Ed, no that one doesn't take a "C" clip, it has a ball on the end of the stud and there is supposed to be a sping steel sleeve that goes over the end of the cable to hold the cable on the stud. I've found these a lot more common on Ford products, but GM used them for a little while too. I know that I just finished working on a 62 thunderbird and it had this set up for the throttle cable, and my 88 bronco II also has this same set up, so Ford used it for a long long time.

I'll have to do some looking in my spare parts collection and see if I have one of the spring clips you need Richard. That's a regular GM item, but not sure if you can get one just by itself or not. If I have one I'll let you know. And after tonights weather predictions I can send some white stuff with it if I have one. :p .

Thanks Tim and I'll take the white stuff anytime anyday!

The clip on my 91 M-M Lincoln did this also and I repaired it with a zip tie just like this as a temporary fix to get home. 3 years later its still this way, I forgot all about it until now.

Problem solved, for now!

Took matters into my own hands and came up with this idea. I had to drill through the cable end to get a complete 1/4 inch hole so the bolt would go through it but works just fine. I still could use the end of the cable that snaps onto the ball.

Attachments

• IMG_3277[1].jpg
    IMG_3277[1].jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 46
Back