Guess we need a smaller hearse

About a third f the time we're transporting cremated remains to the grave. Maybe we need a smaller hearse.

Attachments

• urn i n hearse.jpg
    urn i n hearse.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 254
Question for you F.D.s: Are you burying cremains in those types of vessels in a vault? I purchased this Clark cremation burial vault a couple of weeks ago from a funeral home's basement and I thought it was an odd concept.

Attachments

• cremation 1.jpg
    cremation 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 204
  • cremation 2.jpg
    cremation 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 205
We used to use the Clark cremation vaults many years ago. It boils down to family wishes and cemetery regulations whether or not urn vaults are used. Most of our urn burials go in MacKenzie urns which do double duty

Our mortuary/cemetery combo required any in-ground interment to have an outer burial container, whether it be for a casket or an urn. Wilbert Vault Co. had a selection of urn burial vaults which were aligned with their casket burial vaults. Other lesser known suppliers offered entry level options.

Ditto to the responses Kevin and Terry made. We use Wilbert urn vaults; some of our cemeteries require urn vaults while others do not. When presenting the urn vaults during arrangements, I always offer the family can place small, meaningful items in the vault with the urn. We do this in a ceremonious manner at the convlusion of the graveside service. People embrace this, so most of my families elect to use an urn vault even when one isn't required.

As for items placed in the vault, they are typically letters from family members, tobacco, cards, fishing lures, hobby items, and folded clothes.

So, if you are buying an urn, and urn vault, and a cemetery plot......... what is the cost savings or the reasoning in going with cremation?

In this area, many of the cemeteries limit the plots to no more than 2 urns.

I offer the Wilbert Universal Urn Vault along with the Clark 12 ga std, 12 ga galvanized and the Clark SST. On a full service funeral where a visitation and funeral precedes the cremation the only noticeable change in pricing will be the vault and cemetery expenses will be less. On a direct cremation, that will be noticeably less. We sell about 3 Clark urn vaults to the Universal urn vault and our prices are the same for the Universal and the 12 ga std.

Back