Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,807 Times in 6,262 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

your going to have to stop taking that car to other people.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
your going to have to stop taking that car to other people.
I agree, and that is certainly a goal. Right now though I lack a safe, flat surface to lift my car once i get a jack. So if it requires lifting at the moment I simply have to have someone else work on it. This is why I have not bought a lift yet, since I cant safely use it.

I am keeping this in mind next time we buy a new property. I dont care about a big house, just give me a big garage.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 AM

Sorry the garage is never big enough.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Website Member

This last Saturday my coach was on display at the Tulsa "Oddities and Curiosities" expo. Got to meet a few other hearse owners for once so that was nice. And for the first time nobody made Ghostbusters references.

I'm not a huge fan of the bizarre/morbid art that they have there but it was still an interesting experience. I found myself admiring the workmanship of several of the items despite my disinterest in the subject matter.

The best part is I was able to get some good highway miles on the car
Jim Jordan (02-25-2019), John ED Renstrom (02-26-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Website Member

So on Saturday I did more driving than usual, but got home and pulled in the driveway, shut the car off and went in the house for a minute, came out and was unloading a mower from the coach (wife said "since your taking the hearse to Tulsa, can you get the mower from my moms storage"). While I was back there all of a sudden a massive cloud of steam began under the car, came over for a look and looked under, saw fluid pouring like a waterfall from under. Opened hood and fluid was splattered all over the engine and hood as well.

the trail of fluid behind the car, down the driveway was reflective like oil, so initially i thought my oil pan had busted or something (because of the hole where the plug goes.)

Waited till the next day to troubleshoot. Checked radiator and it was about empty. I put coolant in, monitored and nothing leaked out, i put some oil in the crankcase, again nothing leaked out. Checked oil level and it was full.

So next step was to fire it up and watch. Started up and everything seemed fine for about 5 minutes. Decided to work on my mower while keeping an eye on it as it idled. I started to see steam or smoke (wasnt sure until i got close), at first I suspected it was all the excess fluid on the engine surface burning off, but I kept an eye on the temp gauge and it seemed to be rising faster than it should but I waited till it got past halfway then I shut it off.

Watched as I shut it off and another fluid dump. Finally I managed to trace the source, the radiator hose had busted down right before it connects to the engine, so it was a little hard to spot. The only reason I saw is is because I caught a glimpse of the yellow fibers sticking out.

Looking back, the reason my mind jumped to oil is because that scalding coolant must have washed some of my giant oil stain down the driveway, so what I found on my driveway WAS in fact oil, but mixed with coolant, so it wasnt gree, but brown. I had to cut the hose away since the only thing that can get down there is a socket wrench, and my extension adapter broke off on my wife subaru last year.

I am very relieved that its just a hose. Going to NAPA today to get a replacement hose since this old one says NAPA 7457, also going to grab a small socket set to get that clamp off.

I will ease it back on the road to make sure it holds. Not sure if it busted because of something else, or it was just old. Probably just because it was old im guessing
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,137 Posts

You missed it Harbor Freight ended Sunday 51 piece socket set $9.99 bought two just for spares, Same set now $14.99 cheap crap but it works and you don't care if it breaks or you lose something. Its summer don't over do it on Anti Freeze/Coolant. Save $$$ till fall water actually cools better.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
You missed it Harbor Freight ended Sunday 51 piece socket set $9.99 bought two just for spares, Same set now $14.99 cheap crap but it works and you don't care if it breaks or you lose something. Its summer don't over do it on Anti Freeze/Coolant. Save $$$ till fall water actually cools better.
Every time I think I finally have all the sockets I need. I have a full set, I just dont have a driver for it. Last year I was trying to get my wife's alternator off and I snapped the socket adapter in half. Thats when I decided to invest in some higher quality tools.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Website Member

On the bright side though, got a nice photo taken by the meet's photography person.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 PM

You guys down south might get way with running a light mix but up here you better do 50/50 year round. But it has always been my experience when you have one hose fail you change them all. Including heater hoses. Or 6 months from now you will be buying more antiefreez
Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
You guys down south might get way with running a light mix but up here you better do 50/50 year round. But it has always been my experience when you have one hose fail you change them all. Including heater hoses. Or 6 months from now you will be buying more antiefreez
I actually do use 50/50, so im good there. I will check the lower hose. I got the broken hose changed last night. This evening I'm going to test it and make sure all is well.