Darryl's '74 Superior 54"

Cars without titles are not an issue in NC if you make sure you have all your paperwork ducks in a row ahead of time.:cool: It's a headache but can be done. Thorough understanding of your states DMV laws are helpful.:D

Car is in Va. Has NH plates and from Maine. Oh, and NO TITLE. Thats a problem for MA.

It was a dual registered coach in 84 in Maine and New Hampshire. I do not title most of my units because I do not need to since most of my units move on trailers.

I have all corresponding documents to enable this car to be titled anywhere. Really don't appreciate the tone of your post, there is nothing about my coaches that are suspect. I own all of them 100% free and clear. :mad:

I guess you cannot appreciate the care that has been taken to be able to offer some coaches as second owner via registrations if we ever decided to part with them. ;)

Funny thing last time I bought a car in Mass. all I got was a notarized bill of sale. Checked and old vehicles do not have titles in Mass, now this was 10 years ago has the landscape changed? Pennsylvania was not happy with Mass, bill of sale I used Broadway titles in ALA. alas the rules changed and Broadway is no more. Now we have "The Title Man" in New York state for problem titles.

My comments here are in no way meant to question Darryl. The safest way for anyone buying any car from anyone is to find out what paperwork comes with the car upon purchase BEFORE you bid/buy and then inquire as to what the state you are going to register it in requires. That way, you dont have any surprises after. That being said, its my belief that Darryl is an honest seller.

Funny thing last time I bought a car in Mass. all I got was a notarized bill of sale. Checked and old vehicles do not have titles in Mass, now this was 10 years ago has the landscape changed? Pennsylvania was not happy with Mass, bill of sale I used Broadway titles in ALA. alas the rules changed and Broadway is no more. Now we have "The Title Man" in New York state for problem titles.

Massachusetts now requires a title for every vehicle, and they are checking paper work closely. Connecticut requires a physical examination of the vehicle, and it has to have a minimum of 2 places where the VIN can be verified. If there are less than 2 VIN locations on the car, you will need solid proof of ownership. The lastcar that I brought into Connecticut, they wanted the previous state registration for proof of ownership.

74 superior

You are correct Paul. Ma. is very tough these days. I used broadway title years ago. Now, they want so much paperwork that If i had it, I would not need them.

I have used the title man what he supplied flew well with Pennsylvania MV. I had an 87 Buick Regal Limited with Turbo Grand National engine ordered and bought by me new. Since I have dealer plates I never titled it and forgot about it. Last year a collector wanted to buy it so sure let me get the Certificate of Origin. My wife reminded me it was lost in the Irene flood. No problem the Buick dealer still the same and friend will just get us another. WRONG GM will only issue duplicates for three years. So a call to the Title Man he sent papers I sent back and 10 days later my papers arrived and as I said above Pa, Mv was happy. Cost $350.00

DMV

When I bought my 63 and registered it in R. I. the DMV wanted my sales tax check, and me out of the way for the next in line. I had a title. They barely looked at it. Anyway, back to the 74. We had the same car at the FD I work at. It was traded in 1980 for a Ford Type III. I love this 74. I wish Darryl the best of luck with the sale. I have no room for it and need to finish Jen's 66 Mustang. Storage space, family commitments, work, and lack of mechanical ability make me a ONE procar guy at present. But I do love my 63. That being said, I am following this one.

I think this is a very nice ambulance. If I could buy it, I would love to have it, but money has been in very short supply lately, so I can only dream.

Good luck with it Darryl, whoever gets it will be a happy camper, no doubt.

title states

HEY GEYS,i am from nj not proud but not ashamed it has many good and many bad ,that said i am now mostly in florida,and this is an abousloute state which means too much to explain,but when it comes to titles we just need a vin check and mv or a po to verify it, but i have a question i dont know everything and when i dont, i dont open my mouth so please teach me i have a 1969 high top i bought and the police officer vin checked it and he took the tag under the hood on the fender and the tag on the door and the vin was 69925-r912 and that didnt sound good so i went to car and i seen the tags and there were 2, and some states want two, not florida so i seen another # closer to windshield the # was 6969890p212498,please help is that the vin,i think that is it , and i have to go to mv today wed.so any quick help is really needed and thanks in advance big brian 917-499-9994 pm me asap thanks.:D:D:D:D

After checking out the Massachusetts RMV, I find this excerpt from them very interesting since people seem to know more about bill of sale cars than others.

Please take heavy note of the items in RED. This has also been verified by the Massachusetts State Police.

HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE
You will have to visit a RMV Office near you to register your antique or custom-built vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to follow the same procedure that you would to register any motor vehicle. You will have to call the RMV Telephone center to begin the process of registering your antique or custom-built vehicle to schedule an inspection. You must bring the following materials to the office:

All bills of sale for parts used must be submitted at the time of inspection. Once the vehicle passes inspection the RMV will issue the vehicle a VIN.
Once you have the VIN, complete an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1).
The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
A completed and notarized Application for an Antique Motor Vehicle Plate or Year of Manufacture Registration Plate, if you wish to use the Year of Manufacturer plate.
Odometer disclosure statement.
You will be issued license plates and the registration certificate right away. The title will be sent via mail within six to eight weeks.

FEES
When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate registration fees. The Massachusetts RMV accepts cash, money orders or checks.

RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.

I guess that the "knowledge" of MA titling of classics is invalid in 2 respondents comments. All units that I own and that are for sale have NEVER been titled. The assumptive "misinformation" is starting to amuse me and it never hurts to ask a seller for information that one may not be readily available.

And yes, I DO have the original invoice from Superior dealer from when the 74 was ordered and paid for upon delivery
;)

Last edited:
Massachusetts now requires a title for every vehicle, and they are checking paper work closely. Connecticut requires a physical examination of the vehicle, and it has to have a minimum of 2 places where the VIN can be verified. If there are less than 2 VIN locations on the car, you will need solid proof of ownership. The last car that I brought into Connecticut, they wanted the previous state registration for proof of ownership.

My post is perfectly clear concerning titles. I didn't say that Massachusetts requires every vehicle that is brought into the state to be registered had to have a title in advance. What I was saying is that they require Massachusetts titles on all vehicles. In Massachusetts, titles cost $100.

Darryl Thomp ne may not be readily available. And yes said:

then I take it you have the paper trail from superior through the other owners to you? now in SD if Virginia used a bill of sale for transfer of ownership you can use that to get the SD title. but in this case you would have to pay 3% of the original invoice, as it has never been titled or the taxes paid on it. they had the list of states that do bill of sale and the will except that. the nice part of this one is you can title it with the proper MM number like it should be. will at lease in SD you can.

I am to the point of befuddlement and annoyance of the talk of a title spurring from an auction of a coach I own? From my point of view and several others that I have had contacted me yesterday and today it seems the consensus is that there is a "scare from buying" undercurrent being brought forth. This thread is on the public side of the site and is viewed as a secondary info source for professional cars.

I DO NOT appreciate the persistent "negative" talk of buying a coach with bill of sale. Many PCS members have bought coaches via bill of sale and have had 0 problems with their home state when it came to registration. I have done this myself in a titling nightmare state for years. Yes Virginia is one of the hardest states in the US to get a title from a bill of sale but it can be done easily if you can show the lineage of ownership for the past 25 years.

As for the contradiction of my previous paste post from Mass RMV, I knew it was going to be negated as proven from past instances of others challenging a select few persons knowledge on these boards. I did the best thing possible today, call the Mass RMV. As for my previous post, it is 100% correct about not being an issue to title a vehicle that has NEVER had a title. The state will assist and title the vehicle since mine do have the necessary paperwork to be done through Mass.

Just because you are "older" than me and feel that age dictates that you would "know" more, does not mean you are always "right". Your past encounters with a DMV / RMV are different than what I have presented to go out now to a new home.

Lastly, it would make a better club if some would understand that if you do not have a vested interest in a coach or even the intent or means to purchase. It would be nice that you would not hint any negativity in the advertisement of a club mates item. This really should be advice given from the top of our food chain, not just a Life Pawn IMO.:confused:

This is getting to be bullhockey... :thumbsdown:

Back