Accubuilt's B9Q chassis source losing franchise

Article published October 16, 2009

GM slashes Cadillac dealers
3 will remain in NW Ohio; small-town sites being cut

By GARY T. PAKULSKI
BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

Cadillacs soon will be unavailable in pink and every other color in Bryan and hundreds of other small towns across the nation.

<snip>

Dealers affected will be allowed to sell remaining 2009 models and perform routine service on Cadillacs through next October. After that, GM said it will permit them to do warranty work only when customers would be "greatly inconvenienced" by traveling to the nearest remaining dealer.

But axed dealers aren't permitted to order 2010 Cadillac models, the company and dealers said.

<snip>

"GM says our town is not the size they want for a Cadillac dealer," said Roger McClain, general manager of Lima Auto Mall in Lima.

Founders of the dealership, which began under a different name, started selling Cadillacs in 1910 and until 1959 handled distribution of the models to dealers in a 30-mile radius, he said.

"It's foolish for GM not to let us buy 2010 models," he said. "I have customers who want to buy them from me."

<snip>

Near where I live, there is a single Cadillac dealership who's only competition is in the next state about 10 miles away. Heading North, the next Cadillac Dealership is about 50 miles away. It appears that GM thinks that if people want to purchase a Cadillac, they will be willing to travel great distances to purchase one. I don't believe that this is the case, since both of the dealerships in MA, and the one in CT appear not to be selling many cars. If I were in the market for a Cadillac, and had to travel 50 or 60 miles to purchase one, I would have to think about how wise a choice this would be given that they come with a 5 year warranty and service is going to be a logistic problem. I haven't seen a dealership that gives same day service in more years than I can remember, and I doubt that any of these Cadillac dealerships are any different. If I had to leave my car for service and it was an hour drive each way, I would be inclined to buy another luxury brand, such as Lincoln. At this point in time, I believe that in 5 years, GM as an automobile manufacture will be extinct.

extinction

this is what you get from Obama Motors. it was said before and now history repeats itself. the government could not run a brothel in Nevada in the 90s and make $$$. now they are going to show us they can't run a car maker either.
Mike

Well, the Caddy dealer in Lebanon has been gone about 3 months now. I can't help but think that Cadillac will only be history one day soon.

Very Unfair

That whole situation with cutting dealers back by GM and Chrysler is very unfair... sometimes eliminating (very successful) family owned dealerships that have been passed on for over 75 years! This also makes their successful dealership worthless to sell to anyone else with a stroke of a pen (or e-mail). In our town here.... a same family owned 75+ year old Cadillac Dealership was handed off to a 10 year old GMC Truck (Only) Dealership less than one block away in the same auto-mall.... try to figure the rationale of that out! MM

Back