Speedometer Cable - Do Not Grease

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Here is what happens when you put grease on the speedometer cable or pack the end of the speedometer cable with grease. Speedometers and speedometer cables are designed not to need lubrication. If the cable is noisy, or malfunctions in any way, it is better to replace the cable than trying to fix it with grease. The grease works its way into the speedometer head, and jams up the works. If enough of it gets into the speedometer head, it can render the speedometer to becoming a piece of junk.
This particular speedometer I purchased to replace mine that the needle is jumping, and not giving a steady reading. Since the speedometer shop said that it is junk, I decided to take it apart and see what I could do with it. I cleaned out all the grease with brake cleaner, and some Q tips.
In the first picture, is the back side of the speedometer head where the speedometer cable attached to the head.
In the second picture, is the speedometer after I removed the magnetic cup, the rotating part that the needle is attached to. To take this picture, I had to hold the speedometer head up side down, so you could see how the grease ran to the bottom of the speedometer head, and hardened.
In the third picture, is the speedometer housing that holds the head. You can see how the grease was flung around the inside of the housing, further contamination everything.
In the fourth picture, all the grease was removed, and the speedometer head reassembled. In both the 4th and 5th picture, you can see the damaged plastic gear as which I believe is a result of the grease causing the moving parts to bind. Once I had this all together, I tried it with my electric drill, and it moves freely, however, I have no idea if the speed readings will be correct after it is installed.

Attachments

• MVC-009L.JPG
    MVC-009L.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 103
  • MVC-010L.JPG
    MVC-010L.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
  • MVC-011L.JPG
    MVC-011L.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 100
  • MVC-012L.JPG
    MVC-012L.JPG