opinion please

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
My radiator repair shop just told me to seriously consider a recore of my 1961 Cadillac radiator. Now the question is should we go with a new aluminum radiator or get this one recored? $400 to recore. Last time I checked the aluminum 3 core units were at about the same price. That may have changed since China is buying all the metal now days. How many points will be taken off for an aluminum unit? I know some of you have aluminum radiators. That is the reason I am asking for opinions. There are pro and con issues on both sides. Any suppliers you want to recommend?
Thanks for your input.
Mike

I would think the worst would be a couple authentic points. I do not know from experiance but all the car guys I hang out with all say the aluminum radiators are the way to go. When the one in my 49 needs replaced thats the way I plan on going.

Aluminum radiators are good and bad. I have seen lots of problems with coolant mixtures not being compatible with aluminum. Look at it this way. Your old brass radiator lasted 50 years, so if you have a new core installed, it should also last another 50 years, and in all probability, it will outlast you. I don't believe that the aluminum radiator is going to be good for more than 10 - 15 years, based on what I have seen with cars such as the Corvette. I would also go with the 4 core if the upper and lower tanks will accommodate it. This may be more than you want to know, but it will make for good reading.

I have had the same rad in my 1963 Corvette for the 23 years I have owned it and it work well. 4 core Harrison.

If you want the vintage look, rebuild your old one.
If you want a new one, get the aluminum one.

I have had good luck with rebuilt ones.

Still no for or against answer but hope it helps,
Darren

me i would buy the aluminum one sell the brass one for scrap to off set the price of the new radiator. the aluminium one should be at lest 100 bucks cheaper. just get the one with the welded tanks not the plastic one. run new antifreeze compatible with the mix of metals and your good to go. the most you will lose is one point from the authenticity judge. they are putting them in all the new cars for a reason. it's true the brass one has lasted this long . had you changed the antie freze yearly it would still be good. but that's beside the point. they changed to aluminium for a reason. better cooling with a smaller radiator was the reason.

My recommendation

When it comes to any of my cars that get "shown", I always opt for original or better. By this I mean that when I added factory a/c to my '60 Eureka, I had the radiator shop rebuild the radiator with the thickest core that was possible to fit the original tanks. Except that it's thicker, it appears OEM. I do remember it was expensive, but after what I've spent in the past year on two hearses, it's a drop in the bucket. That would be my recommendation, Mike. Tom

I had a new radiator made a while back, cost was reasonable and they shipped it to me and it fits perfect. You might give them a call for a quote. Their info is http://thebrassworks.net
out of Paso Robles, California and they make almost everything you would need. They can reuse your old parts if you want them to. They did a honeycomb radiator for me and I am satisfied with the work.

Back