My latest procar acquisition !!!!!

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
Last November 2013 I was able to fill a 20 year dream of buying a procar I fist saw at my first PCS meet in 1993, 20 years prior.

This car is a 1960 Miller Meteor Cadillac Futura Hearse

The last year this car was shown at a PCS meet was 1994 in Pittsburgh PA.

I will be driving the coach to Rochester MN for its official 20 year PCS meet reunion 20 years later in 2104 !

After a few repairs, resealed transmission, new tires and a couple more things to get done, it will be ready for Rochester !!!

If you get the PCS Michigan Chapter's Magazine, Superior Times, you will see a story and photos on the car and myself in the latest issue.
If not, I will likely post a similar story on this site later on.

Check out the photos of the car taken in the last week or so after its winter storage.

One proud owner of a beautiful 1960 MM Futura !

Darren

First photo - when I picked it up in 2013
Second Third Forth photo - when it got its new tires in 2014
Fifth photo - at a car cruise in May
Sixth photo - local lady loving it behind the wheel

Attachments

• 1960 MM Futura Cadillac Hearse.jpg
    1960 MM Futura Cadillac Hearse.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 899
  • 60 F drivers side.jpg
    60 F drivers side.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 838
  • 60 F pass side.jpg
    60 F pass side.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 823
  • 60 F front end.jpg
    60 F front end.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 830
  • 60 F car show May 14.jpg
    60 F car show May 14.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 832
  • 60 F car show 1.jpg
    60 F car show 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 853
WOW

Darren,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!:applause:

I like Wayne am not a hearse guy,BUT that is one beautiful ride !
I am sure you are proud ! Have lots of fun with it !!:thumbsup:

Now on a lighter note: You really should take it to Rochester THIS year my friend !!......

"I will be driving the coach to Rochester MN for its official 20 year PCS meet reunion 20 years later in 2104 !"......

I know you like to plan ahead,but really....... 90 years ?? :D

NJOY !!

Oddly enough, a high school classmate of mine ran the identical coach in a demolition derby in 1984. It was a '60 M-M Futura Duplex in the exact same color with the exact same interior color combination. He had found the coach at a trucking company in Mankato, MN. It was a rust-free car that was in great condition, only missing its windshield which had been removed for a Series 75 that was in need of one. That coach was one tough car in the derby! His biggest issue was maneuvering it! I know that my friend ran it in 2 or 3 derbies before it was finished off. What a waste in looking back. Her 390 was then rebuilt after its derby career had ended and it was then dropped into the '56 Meteor 3-way landau that I had blown the original 365 ci engine in. Hind sight.....................

Congratulations Darren! That is a beautiful coach. BTW, for the benefit of anyone who was not there, Pittsburgh 1994 was a fabulous Meet. and it was my first

Ooooooooooooooooo

Wowsers, such a lovely coach and I most definately AM a hearse fan.

20 years of patience pays off.......so which of your other coaches are you going to have to let go, and can I have it?

Well Done

Dave

Thanks for posting these recent pictures, Darren. I first saw the car in the early '90's at PCS Marietta Ohio, I believe it was. It was truly gorgeous then, and I'm glad that storage was kind to it. What's most important to me (and, I'm sure, the previous owner) is that it has gone to a loving home. You always have my respect for preserving and treating the cars that you buy very well. You, my brother, LIVE what the PCS stands for, and have my total appreciation and respect. I'll look forward to seeing her again in Rochester.

Will you be driving around the Lake, or taking a ferry over? You're welcome to stay over with me, caravan there together, if you like.

Steve

Yes, endloader hearse. Not a combo.

I will post interior photos soon.

Here is a photo from the meet in 1994 in Pittsburgh, it's last PCS meet attended.
Photo From Wayne and Eileen's collection.

Darren

P.S. If anyone else has any photos of this car from the past, please post them here.
THANKS !

Attachments

• 60 F in Pittsburgh in 1994.jpg
    60 F in Pittsburgh in 1994.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 234
An observation I have already noticed is that this car gets a LOT of attention ! Don't get me wrong, so do all the other hearses I have but this one is different.

Not just from car people, but from kids and people of other nationalities.

I am thinking because it is not black it may have a tamer look to it.
Being a grey color may not have such a bold shock to seeing it as the black ones do.

Maybe the black ones say HEARSE so much more than this grey one does.

I noticed on the hwy that a bunch of East Indian people are giving me the thumbs up where I rarely get that with my black hearses of the same era from other nationalities such as Chinese, Black and East Indian.

I know Chinese and Black people are highly superstitious.

Just wondering if they even know this one is a hearse. Being old, not having the landau bar and not being black may not be seen as being a hearse.

Anyone else have a similar situation with non-black hearses ?

I hear kids saying "Look mom, a fancy car !" or "What kind of car is that mom ?"

Interesting to know,
Darren

P.S. I will see what kind of reactions I get as the summer goes on.
I will ask at car shows and when people make comments on it from now on.
I will post the replies as I get them.

To me it has a more regal look,one of prominence,a classy last ride for a classy person.and it appears more calming to look at,my 2 cents anyway,

Congratulations on your latest addition to the fleet. The attention you are receiving is understandable as it is a fine example of a pro car.

Back