1948 Buick Flxible

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...3552034687&_trksid=p5197.m7&item=140683666394

My brother and I went and looked at this car today (about 15 minutes away). We obtained the following information:

1948 Buick Flxible.
Body#14927856
Model#B23-748
Serial#16210
Motor#51320277

We have known the owner for quite some time. Many of the components are there and I beleive with quite a bit of money and time the car could still be restored. If not, this car is at least a good parts car for someone.

Attachments

• buick.jpg
    buick.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 689
Sent the data you posted from the serial plate to Tom McPherson who looked the vehiicle up in the Flxible production and delivery record book. According to the information at his disposal, this car (body #16210) was a straight end-loading hearse (FB21-748) that was originally delivered to Floyd Stillwell in Augusta, Illinois on March 23, 1949. The frame and motor numbers given in your post match this car as listed in the official Flxible records Tom consulted. The car looks pretty well gone but, deep pockets can work wonders as we all know.

Here are pictures of the car as it sits now. All of the doors and hood are with the car. Both bumpers, the fenders, steering column, steering wheel, and the dash with gauges and radio are also with it. Mounted on top of the dash is a switch panel and also in the rear is a switch panel with controls for rear heat, so it looks like this car was a combo. Currently has a ford 9 inch rear axle under it. Also has a front sub frame with a ford straight front axle. I took pictures of the buick vin tags (one on the cowl and one on the front passenger side frame rail) and the flxible tag.

100_3365.jpg

100_3364.jpg

100_3362.jpg

100_3358.jpg

Sent the data you posted from the serial plate to Tom McPherson who looked the vehiicle up in the Flxible production and delivery record book. According to the information at his disposal, this car (body #16210) was a straight end-loading hearse (FB21-748) that was originally delivered to Floyd Stillwell in Augusta, Illinois on March 23, 1949. The frame and motor numbers given in your post match this car as listed in the official Flxible records Tom consulted. The car looks pretty well gone but, deep pockets can work wonders as we all know.

I have a question.... The model number listed on the flxible tag mounted on the car is: B23 748, but the info coming back from Tom lists the model as FB21 748 for this body number. As I said there is a swich panel mounted on the top center of the dash that appears factory and also rear heat controls in the back of the car leading me to think it was/is a combo and not a straight end-loading hearse.

F B flexable body # just the difference between the stamp and the paperwork. the number is the same. they did not add letters in the year run to get a different number. a lot of cold climate hearses had rear heaters. you can not account for things added later in the cars live by factory build sheets. the records don't lie, but they only tell you what it left the factory as. who can say what it got changed to or when. because you see this today and the records show different, only means the car has been used. that was what it was purchased for. to use and modify as you need for the current owners purpose. it sure never left the factory with a 9 inch ford rear end or a sub assy. it may not have with a rear heater or added switch panel eather.

Right, I kind of figure FB and B is the same, but the tag on the car is 23 748, not 21 748 as the info from the records says. That's what I'm trying to see why there is a difference between the tag and the records, otherwise it sounds like everything matches up.

I just pulled out my latest TPC and looked at the Flxible article and found this... The model numbers mentioned in the article for the 1948 model year are: FB21 748 end loading funeral coach, FB22 748 ambulance, FB 24 748 service car, FB 27 748 three-way casket table funeral coach. The 1948 combination car pictured is one of the few that doesn't have the model number listed with it.

Last edited:
I did not catch that, Tom can look that one up to. not a lot of difference in a combo and a hearse so you may be right. even in looking it up on paper the garbage in garbage out princaple works. one number off makes all the difference.
21-478 is a endloading Hearse we are still waiting to see what 23-478 is

I didn't notice it lastnight either. My brother mentioned it to me a little while ago in a text I got from him. I figure Tom can clarify it if anyone can, that's why I asked. It's pretty amazing and really cool that he has the history for these cars and that we can trace them so well from it. Too bad we're not so lucky with all of the other manufacturers.

According to McPherson, the Flxible factory record book clearly has this particular vehicle listed as an FB21-748 - an end-loading hearse. However, the cowl-mounted serial plate proclaims that it is/was an FB23-748 - a combination car. While the record book is generally correct, the information entered therein was probably done by lower level secretaries and may not always be reliable. In this case, he says that the serial plate should be the determining factor and that the car probably rolled out of the Loudonville plant as a combination car. I'd bet that the model designation on the serial plate is correct and the model entry into record book incorrect. All the other numbers match what's recorded in the delivery book so...we now know who the original owner was, where they were, when it was delivered and what it was - once upon a time.

Right, I kind of figure FB and B is the same, but the tag on the car is 23 748, not 21 748 as the info from the records says. That's what I'm trying to see why there is a difference between the tag and the records, otherwise it sounds like everything matches up.

I asked Tom about the F, B and FB prefixes used and he said that in company documents - like price lists and on factory photos - models were often referred to isuing the FB prefix. This supposedly stood for Flxibe-Buick. On most if not all serial plates the body number used only the B prefix letter - for Buick. Some later vehicle serial plates did use the FB prefix letters. At any rate, the model numbers are what counts. In 1947-1950 the following numbers were is use as body configuration or model indicators:
21 - end-loading funeral car
22 - ambulance
23 - combination car
24 - service car
27 - three-way funeral car
The numbers behind the model designators indicated the chassis series (7 Roadmaster or 5 for Super) followed by the model year. So, an FB22-747 would be a 1947 Flxible-Buick ambulance on a Roadmaster chassis - a Premier ambulance. Another example would be an FB23-551 which would have been a 1950 Flxible-Buick service car on a Super chassis - a Sterling service car.

In 1947-1950 the following numbers were is use as body configuration or model indicators:
21 - end-loading funeral car
22 - ambulance
23 - combination car
24 - service car
27 - three-way funeral car
The numbers behind the model designators indicated the chassis series (7 Roadmaster or 5 for Super) followed by the model year. So, an FB22-747 would be a 1947 Flxible-Buick ambulance on a Roadmaster chassis - a Premier ambulance. Another example would be an FB23-551 which would have been a 1950 Flxible-Buick service car on a Super chassis - a Sterling service car.[/QUOTE]

Sorry all, I screwed this up a bit. The listed model designators were used from 1947 through 1952 and an FB23-551 would have been a 1951 Flxibe-Buick combination car on a Super chassis - a Sterling combination. A 1950 Sterling service car would have been an FB24-550. Sorry about that. Duh!

For sale again reduced price

https://www.facebook.com/groups/?ca...526239510913290/?sale_post_id=526239510913290

There are recent photos on the above listed page. $1200 O.B.O.

This is not our car but as stated previously we know the owner. He is not interested in this car and had only purchased it as a project for someone else that changed their mind. The owner has other interests and needs the space that this car is taking up.

Attachments

• 1948 Flxible.jpg
    1948 Flxible.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 158
Two of these in far better condition and far more complete recently sold on auction in Missouri for $50 each! The new owner purchased them for re-sale. They could be had for far less than $1200 each, if anyone is interested.

The sedan front clip that has been married to this Flxible will not work.

your looking at one more stalled project car. the dream came to a grinding halt for what ever reasons they do. mostly a money, time and ambition or any combination of them problem. then it sit on it till I get my money out of my dream.

Back