"Buillac" model

John Royark JR

PCS Member
Most that have been in the pro-car hobby/lifestyle know about the 93-96 coaches most commonly referred to as Buillacs and the story behind them.
I do have two questions about these though.
1. Were they offered in 1993, or was the first year for them 94?
2. I know M-M gave them the official model name SPECIAL. I cannot find anywhere what the official model name Eureka gave the Buillacs. Anyone here know?

If it means anything my 96 Buicallac Has a special grill with Eureka on it and on the side where coach lights are on an S&S it has a Cadillac Brougham emblem with a Cadillac wreath above it but no crest. Also has more factory bondo in both side rear doors than an NYC taxi

I think they were notorious for the thick layers of bondo and cracking in that bondo. Pretty cheaply/poorly constructed coaches.

As I'm sure you know they were built "special" for SCI. They were made from 1993 to 1996. They carried both Miller-Meteor and Eureka badging but Eureka seemed much more common. I've seen the Miller-Meteor pamplet calling them a Special but I think very few were ever sold outside of SCI's fleet purchases.

SCI was very particular when it came to buying motor equipment for their flagship operations (note that most of these use S&S Masterpiece coaches). Not so much for their run-of-the-mill locations. For new funeral cars for these operations they wanted them to be "reliable, black and cheap". They didn't really care what chassis they were mounted on just as long as they were inexpensive.

Say what you will about SCI, but some things they do REALLY well. When I worked for them in St Louis, you could order a hearse with a one page form...
silver, black or white paint, black or blue interior, low mileage lease or high mileage lease...get the right signatures and in 6-8 weeks a car would appear. In theory, the same applied to ordering a box of business cards or a new funeral home building, and everything in between.

I have never had the misfortune of seeing a Buillac up close. I do recall that the mid-90s Eureka Cadillac we had at Baue Funeral Home was pretty primitive compared to the Superior Crown Sovereigns that made up the rest of the fleet. Even the way the rear bumper bar was made, with no cutout for the license plate, was cheesy. The plate and license lamps just hung on the bumper bar like an afterthought. I think of all CCE products as cheap and cheesy.

SCI does have a habit of cheaping-out with some of their livery...witness the 6 door Buick LeSabres we used in the mid-80s...one of them even had crank windows. I got cussed-out by a family who told me their station wagon had a nicer interior than that Buick, why wasn't it a Cadillac?!?

Back