Another mystery...

This post could also be titled "What the heck is it...Part Deux".

This device in my Criterion is attached to the side of the under-dash switch box that houses the battery switches and Silent Signal lights, and is directly behind the PA100.

Any idea what it is?

Thanks again

gizmo2.JPG!

My educated guess is that the black "thingie" is a circuit breaker, and that the square "thingie" is either a light or a switch... The red thing at the top looks like a switch.. I doubt that it is original to the car..

The middle square thing is an indicator light, and the red and black items that bracket it are push buttons. You're absolutely right, Paul, in that it appears to be considerably newer than the car and is likely an after-market add-on.

The only thing that confuses me is that the several wires that go to it look like exactly the same white wire that is used to wire most of the Criterion's emergency lighting. My next step is to unbundle the wires and trace them back, hoping to find where they go and what they do.

I'm pretty good with electrical things, but at this point, I'm baffled.

Just a guess...

I'm guessing that this might me an after market ignition security switch. While the vehicle is running the button is pressed and the light would illuminate, you'd be able to remove the key without the vehicle shutting off. If someone tries to move the vehicle (putting it in gear/stepping on the brake pedal) or change any of the electrical functions, the vehicle would shut off.

so I take it nothing happens when you poke it?? red to activate it, light to tell you it's on and black to shut it off. your on the right path trace it out to see were it gets it's power and were it goes. but the high idle sounds best to me. in which case there would be a solenoid to preform that trick on the engine. most likely removed as a what the heck is this for during some other repair

Doug, wasn't your car once owned by PCS member Terry Lange? Have you contacted him? Perhaps he knows this and other things about your car.

Back