1959 Eureka ambulance returns to Bogata

Restored by former PCS member Neal Parish in CA. And (from when it was red), it was featured in an episode of "The Simpsons".

Attachments

• SimpsonsAmb.jpg
    SimpsonsAmb.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,062
Updated Info Please!

I have been hoping to go and cover some of the festivities for The Criterion. I live in the neighboring town and I would love to meet the current owners, members of the squad and photograph the ambulance and the people involved. The problem is that I don't seem to see an itinerary on their website. I understand that three of The PCS's best authors will also be there, so I know am not necessary, but I would like to be there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I spoke with Ray Dwyer of the Bogota First Aid Squad this morning, and have the following information to share.

The parade will start at 1:00 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5 at the Bogota First Aid Squad building, 69 W. Main St. (next to the post office), and will proceed to Olsen Park, 162 W. Main St., arriving there at about 1:30 p.m. for a meet-and-greet. In the case of inclement weather, the post-parade gathering will be held at Bogota’s Broad Street firehouse, which is located on the block behind the first aid squad building (next to the police department; an alley goes through from the first aid squad to the block behind).

According to Ray, Irene and Edwin Otten are flying into Newark airport this afternoon and then plan to collect the car at the Port of Newark. Next week the Ottens will participate in an antique Cadillac driving tour from Jersey City to Miami.

If you need more information, Ray Dwyer can be reached by e-mail at the “info@” address on the Bogota First Aid Squad website.

I spoke with Ray Dwyer of the Bogota First Aid Squad this morning, and have the following information to share.

The parade will start at 1:00 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5 at the Bogota First Aid Squad building, 69 W. Main St. (next to the post office), and will proceed to Olsen Park, 162 W. Main St., arriving there at about 1:30 p.m. for a meet-and-greet. In the case of inclement weather, the post-parade gathering will be held at Bogota’s Broad Street firehouse, which is located on the block behind the first aid squad building (next to the police department; an alley goes through from the first aid squad to the block behind).

According to Ray, Irene and Edwin Otten are flying into Newark airport this afternoon and then plan to collect the car at the Port of Newark. Next week the Ottens will participate in an antique Cadillac driving tour from Jersey City to Miami.

If you need more information, Ray Dwyer can be reached by e-mail at the “info@” address on the Bogota First Aid Squad website.

Thank you very much for the update and info Mary. It is likely that I will miss the parade, but I will be able to make the "meet and Greet"

Well, today was the big day. Although things didn't work exactly as planned, Lucille and I did meet Irene and Edwin Ottens and they are lovely people. We also met Jennifer and Ray Dwyer, Ray is a long time member of the Bogota First Aid Squad and was directly involved with both Neal Parish and The Ottens. Ray and his wife are also lovely people. And of course, we got to see and touch this historic and absolutely gorgeous 1959 Eureka. I must say, this was a thrilling day!

This afternoon Jeff and I joined the Bogota First Aid Squad in welcoming Irene and Edwin Otten’s 1959 Eureka ambulance back home for a visit.

After a parade through the streets of Bogota, the squad hosted refreshments at their Kennedy Emergency Services Building. We had the opportunity to meet the Ottens as well as first aid squad members and other members of the Bogota community.

I loved hearing the ‘59’s siren during the parade; it was so distinct from the other vehicles’ sirens. Irene told Jeff that this was their first parade with the car so it’s great that they had this opportunity.

Jeff gave Irene and Edwin a copy of the PCS poster for them to display in the car, as well as several copies of The Professional Car magazine and PCS membership applications to share in their travels.

Irene and Edwin will start their drive from Jersey City to Miami on Monday. They’re members of a Belgian classic car club which is hosting the event. More than 160 cars were shipped from Europe to the U.S. to participate in the trip. According to Edwin, the drive will take them about ten days since there will be some stops and diversions for sightseeing along the way. Once in Miami, the Ottens will have a couple days on their own before their return home. The ’59 will ship back to Europe from the Port of Fort Lauderdale.

Be sure to visit www.bogotafirstaid.org which has been updated with photos of the ambulance’s past few days in New Jersey.

Irene and Edwin will start their drive from Jersey City to Miami on Monday. They’re members of a Belgian classic car club which is hosting the event. More than 160 cars were shipped from Europe to the U.S. to participate in the trip. According to Edwin, the drive will take them about ten days since there will be some stops and diversions for sightseeing along the way.

Car club name/website/blog tracking trip? If they pass within a couple hours it would be worth heading towards them.

Back