59 Eureka hearse

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
Old Cars Weekly is advertising a VanDerBrink Auction in Grant, Nebraska for September 6, 2014. One of the items is a 1959 Eureka Cadillac hearse. It is pictured in one of the several pics in the ad. The auction is selling off the collection of the Bullock family.
Go to: vanderbrinkauctions.com for more info.
Mike

Photos

Photos of said '59 Eureka.

Attachments

• 89B.jpg
    89B.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 89B_1.jpg
    89B_1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 993
I first saw this Eureka in '06. Then took over a year to receive an initial price - $30k. Price came down each subsequent interaction. Last price received was 11/12 - which I'm going to keep private for now. Still overpriced at that point however with Yvette landing contract for this auction I feel last price given has a legitimate shot at being exceeded come day of sale.

Here she is 6/06.

14701522863_898ce0403f_o.jpg

And until cleaned out - good luck guessing what interior configuration is. This from 7/12.

14701524313_8f2528eff5_o.jpg

Really aren't many '59s or '60s out there I've not had a pulse on... :D

It's obviously a 3-Way coach, the side trim and loading doors tell that much. Judging by the parts that are missing, it's main purpose seems to have been as a parts donor for the other '59s in this "collection".

I'm not a Eureka expert; how does the side trim indicate a 3-way?

B- or C-pillar door hinging was available on all types of coaches and ambulances.

I'm no expert either, just observant. If you study Eureka coaches and/or factory photos of the era, you will observe that 1958 was the last year Eureka used C-pillar hinging on it's end-loader and ambulance models. For the '59 model year, Eureka adopted B-pillar hinging and unique side trim treatment on those models, with C-pillar hinging and full-length side moldings reserved for their 3-Way and flower car models.

Thanks for that Stan.
I did try and open the link in the listing but could not do it on my iPad.
I see you mention a Eureka flower car. Could you tell us a bit about that.

Yvette Vanderbrink is definitely the auctioneer to have sell your project cars!! Not the best auctioneer, but her customers love her. She has a big following and gets big money for rough cars! She is definitely the one to hire if you are looking to sell a large collection of vehicles!

Wow, that shocks me (that the buyer of your M-M) wants to restore it, Stan. I would have thought it was heading for Ecto-dom for sure. Glad to hear it though- hopefully they'll share pics along the way with you and you can show us?

Wow, that shocks me (that the buyer of your M-M) wants to restore it, Stan. I would have thought it was heading for Ecto-dom for sure. Glad to hear it though- hopefully they'll share pics along the way with you and you can show us?

For better or worse, the market for 59's is driven by forces beyond just the pro-car world. I personally don't have a problem with that, which I know puts me at odds with many on this board, but I see it like the market for led-sled 49 mercs and other cars, except that most of the GB cars I would argue are not lost to the marque and can be restored by a collector at a future date. Try that with a chopped and channeled merc! Most of the GB's don't have the money to buy a true collectible, so most of their conversions are later models with no great market potential, an average early '70's coach for example. It also increases the value of all the cars that are restored as original. Case in point are my two cars, 59 and 61 M+M combinations. the 61 will sell for a third or less of the 59, but is probably in slightly better condition. Hey, if a GB wannabe is willing to help put my Kids through college, I'm all for it.

if I had a 59 i would pass it on also. just one of the things I ever had a interest in. but the statement that removing some from the limited stock makes the rest worth more. I got to disagree on that. you still have a limited market. there are only so many people interested in owning one. baring the few that are sold to services wanting a parade car, that are willing pay the high dollar for a ready to go unit they want. most of these are traded for lower dollar then the standard cars. most do not bring the money it cost to bring them back up from the brink. once all the loose 70s stuff is gone it's gone that's all.

Back