First Aid Kit colour

I found this old First Aid kit at the Barrie Auto Flea Market over the weekend, I thought it was pretty cool so I grabbed it for $10.00 ! It must have came out of a Ministry of Transport truck from the 60-70's.

I have a newer kit that I'm thinking of doing up for the Horton just for show saying " Department of Hightways Pennsylvania" with the two Red Crosses on it just like this one

the question is what colour should I paint the box if it was in the 1970's

Attachments

• ship 007.jpg
    ship 007.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 185
Whatever color that you like. The kits were supplied by vendors that had corporate colors, so they would be whatever color the manufacturer preferred. An example would be that the first aid kits in the Bell Telephone trucks were olive drab, and those that I have seen in school busses were almost always white. Our squad used Kennedy Machinist boxes, and they were always a brown crinkle finish.

By the 1970s, they were called "Pennsylvania Department of Transportation"{PennDOT). They talk briefly about their history on their website.

Interestingly, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission operated ambulances on the PA Turnpike. I saw a 1970s Springfield International Travelall ambulance marked for the PTC at a maintenance depot when I was a kid, around 1977.

I got reminded that white with green crosses was common also. the slogan was green cross for safety. funny how things change but even if they do you still recognise the box.

Lots of colors used.

Mike...as has been mentioned, the sky's the limit when it comes to colors. Take your pick...white, black, dark green, light green, blue, yellow, grey. Here are some in my collection.

Attachments

• P1110856.jpg
    P1110856.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 114
  • P1110857.jpg
    P1110857.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 115
once you have 2 it's a collection.

Bill, love that old foot pump suction,did many a call using one of those.Quite the collection you have going there,:applause:

Yes Wayne That is quite the collection Bill has...............very cool

Love the wicker basket !

Thanks Bill for sharing

Back