Air Pump for air horn

I think you have is what's known as a "Stutter-Tone Horn" commonly used on fire apparatus. A tow truck supply company called AWDirect.com
sells the 12-V Air Pumps and Tanks for mounting under the hood. MM

I used a Thomas 315 (415?) for mine, but I was using it for the suspension as well. Big horns like a lot of air, Stuttertones don't work to their full capacity below 100psi, so you will most likely need to run a tank as well. The big horns are generally used on trucks that already have an air brake system that has a constant supply of air. Air brake systems get their air from an engine-driven compressor that is pumping air whenever the engine is running, that's why you always hear that "pshhhhhh" sound from trucks, it is the tank letting off excess pressure. I have one of those, but it is about a hundred pounds, and you will have to add about an 8" hump to your hood to fit it in the engine compartment.

You should be all right with a decent 12 volt compressor and a couple gallon tank if you're just playing around, probably still set you back $150-$200 for both. I don't think you can run a bigger horn on just a compressor, it won't move a big enough volume of air without a reserve tank.

FYI, "Stutter Tone" (fire truck) horns, made by Grover, will say "Emergency Horn" on the rear cap, in addition to "Grover Products Los Angeles". If it doesn't say "Emergency Horn" it is just a single tone horn and will not give you the extra-obnoxious fire truck sound. Grover made a lot of horns for a lot of different uses, like boats and regular trucks. Don't want anyone to be disappointed.

FYI, "Stutter Tone" (fire truck) horns, made by Grover, will say "Emergency Horn" on the rear cap, in addition to "Grover Products Los Angeles". If it doesn't say "Emergency Horn" it is just a single tone horn and will not give you the extra-obnoxious fire truck sound. Grover made a lot of horns for a lot of different uses, like boats and regular trucks. Don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Richard & Todd: I was going solely by the sound it emitted when it was being demo-tested by your Son with shop air. Back in the day decades ago.... Grover was coincidently located next to B&M Sirens. Must have been entertaining on sound test days. AW-Direct sells train horns too if you really want to get carried away. They take a LOT of reserve air. MM

Richard & Todd: I was going solely by the sound it emitted when it was being demo-tested by your Son with shop air. Back in the day decades ago.... Grover was coincidently located next to B&M Sirens. Must have been entertaining on sound test days. AW-Direct sells train horns too if you really want to get carried away. They take a LOT of reserve air. MM

The one in the video sounds like a Stuttertone. I hadn't watched the video when I posted above. It sounds like it needs tuned, too. You can do that by screwing or unscrewing the back of the horn in small increments until it sounds best. Once you get it right, you tighten the mounting base against the back of the horn to keep it in place.

though you had the pump out of the car? mount both of they cross ways in front of the AC condenser one facing left the other right. then ever time you trip them you can say this is just for captain video!!!

Put the air horns back on the roof, where they were, or put them back in the closet!!

Back