Back in the game...Part 2

The car has been received and is in the shop having some repairs made.

A properly cut 176-D has been sourced and received.

The tires are, in fact, the ones seen in that photo. They are Firestone 721s, which makes them 35-40 years old. They will be replaced with Hankook Optimo 235 whitewalls.

Steve, the last set of Firestone FR721's I bought were in 2002. If I remember correct I think those tires are from 2001. The original hubcaps that were on that car are now on Bob Smiths 1970 C/B Oldsmobile ambulance. I don't remember why that was but I think I lost a hubcap off of the 70 ambulance when I owned it and put the set off of the 72 on it for a show; or maybe it was the other way around but one lost a cap and they got switched until I found a replacement.

Last edited:

The tires are, in fact, the ones seen in that photo. They are Firestone 721s, which makes them 35-40 years old. They will be replaced with Hankook Optimo 235 whitewalls.

If the tires are bias ply tires, Ed Renstrom might want them for moving cars around the yard. I would trust a 35 or 40 year old bias ply tire, a lot more than a 8 or 10 year old radial.

The car has been received and is in the shop having some repairs made.

A properly cut 176-D has been sourced and received.

Steve, the last set of Firestone FR721's I bought were in 2002. If I remember correct I think those tires are from 2001. The original hubcaps that were on that car are now on Bob Smiths 1970 C/B Oldsmobile ambulance. I don't remember why that was but I think I lost a hubcap off of the 70 ambulance when I owned it and put the set off of the 72 on it for a show; or maybe it was the other way around but one lost a cap and they got switched until I found a replacement.

If you wish - you could consider getting a replacement set of Firestone 721's. https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-steel-belted-721-lr78-15-3-4-whitewall.html

Still unfortunate the 8.90-15 isn't available in blackwall or proper narrow white-wall. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22025

On a side note, the dash pads on both of these cars are perfect:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• 295.jpg
    295.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 260
If you wish - you could consider getting a replacement set of Firestone 721's. https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-steel-belted-721-lr78-15-3-4-whitewall.html

Still unfortunate the 8.90-15 isn't available in blackwall or proper narrow white-wall. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22025

The Optimos have been ordered.

I would definitely have bought a set of 8.90s if any were available, especially with the correct double stripe whitewall.

There are a few items missing that I'll need help with:

1. Front bier pin, correct for this car
2. One of the front landau panel bolts
3. One of the rear landau panel mounts

I will buy two or three each of the panel front bolts and rear mounts if I can find them (photo below). It never hurts to have a spare or two.

If any of you have these items, please call or let me know via PM. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_152604.jpg
    IMG_20190719_152604.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 200
Let me look got a number of 72 parts here the curtin rod holders should be in that jar. The knurled knobs are a hardware store find up here. You can find them in brass. MM used the same ones

I have the drapery pieces, but Ed will have them too and may be able to send it all together with some of the panel mounting hardware.

Let me look got a number of 72 parts here the curtin rod holders should be in that jar. The knurled knobs are a hardware store find up here. You can find them in brass.

Are you saying that the rear landau panel mounts are the same component as a curtain rod holder? I'm not close to the cars to compare them.

I can certainly head to the hardware store, but was trying to buy from (or trade with) PCS members first.

I don't think so better look again. The bottom should just be a tab and slot kind of thing with the knob holding things in place at the top. The round button is a curtin rod holder for both CB and MM. In this set of years they shared a lot of hardware
As the same Company owned them.

checked the pictures on the 69 MM combo I had here it used 4 of the knobs two top and bottom. to hold the removable panels in place. they are a 1/4-20 thread. put a little anti sleaze on the threads as they go in to the aluminum. electrolysis is a problem. as i recall I had to re drill and tap them on the 68 as they were broke off in the frame. that might be why they put the button on. drilled a small hole to fit the screw. let us know what you find out.

............ or just leave them off. Every combo I have ever seen looks better with the panels off.

One more thing...

1. Front bier pin, correct for this car
2. One of the front landau panel bolts

I will buy two or three each of the panel front bolts and rear mounts if I can find them (photo below). It never hurts to have a spare or two.

If any of you have these items, please call or let me know via PM. Thanks!

I need a roof plug (for the beacon hole), as well.

As you can see, the curtain rod holders are different than the rear landau panel mounts:

Attachments

• IMG 2 panel mount.jpg
    IMG 2 panel mount.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 146
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 150
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 134
The only difference that I can see is in the height. Are they both the same diameter, and is the groove in both the same?

The only difference that I can see is in the height. Are they both the same diameter, and is the groove in both the same?

Note that the rear portion (aft of the mounting slot/groove) of the curtain rod holder is about twice as thick/deep as the on landau panel mount.

The existing paint is decent or better, but the hood is a little dull and there are a few nicks near the upper front fender trim.

My body man looked at the hood last week. He said that, while the rest of the car had been clear coated, the hood had not when it was repainted. I'm a little nervous about trying to match silver, but he said that with his scanner it shouldn't be a problem. Including touching up a few noticeable nicks, it should be a $350-400 job.

Back