Anybody know anything about "dreaded" 1975-79 Lincoln aluminum wheels?

I saw a set of these for sale and am thinking about going back and picking them up, but when I looked them up online I saw some references that included the word "dreaded", but didn't say why. Was there some sort of problem with these wheels I should be aware of? These are the smooth aluminum wheels like on Mark V and Continental cars, with a bolt-on center cap that is secured with three screws.

The center caps seem to command a premium price, enough that I could get my money back out of them if I had to. Just wondering what all the hubub is about...

Can't find a good close-up picture, but they are these:

77linc37435-1.jpg

Ive been involved with the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club (LCOC) since 1991 and have never heard of any problems with the wheels. You just have to make sure the center cap are secured tightly.

I have! When moisture gets between the wheel and the hub, they corrode badly, and as a result, the wheels have been known to fail. This happens with a lot of "aluminum" wheels, however, from what I know from one instance of a friend, these wheels are more prone to this problem. I have not experienced this wheel first hand, so I am only reporting back what I was told. :my2cents:

I have! When moisture gets between the wheel and the hub, they corrode badly, and as a result, the wheels have been known to fail. This happens with a lot of "aluminum" wheels, however, from what I know from one instance of a friend, these wheels are more prone to this problem. I have not experienced this wheel first hand.

I, have had a few of these with the corrosion was bad enough to make the wheel hard to remove . Once off just clean everything up and they are good to go.:drive2:

If fix-a-flat has been used or the interior surface is pitted and corroded I would pass on them and keep looking. The Lincoln turbine spokes are very handsome and have the same problem. I think obsolete parts at Sanderson Ford 1 (800)-FOR-FORD has a set of these NOS last year you might call them and find out. Also check the lug holes and make sure they are not buggered up.

Back