Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:42 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,656 Times in 3,812 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Gasoline today has ethanol in it, so "HEET" isn't going to do anything. As for spraying the choke mechanism with carb cleaner, if the carburetor was rebuilt, it shouldn't need to be cleaned. To me, I would be questioning the person that did the carb rebuild as to why there is an issue. There is no way to justify the quality of someone else's work unless you have the ability to assess it in person. Having said that, I have seen lots of "hacks" that claim to know how to rebuild carburetors but know next to nothing about how a carburetor works, or what to look for when there is a problem. From memory, your car is a 1968, and that has a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor, which is extremely complicated/sophisticated, so rebuilding it correctly is best left to the person that rebuilds them all the time, not a "jack of all trades".
Old 01-26-2018, 06:00 PM
Website Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

It hasnt been rebuilt yet. I have the original in a box in the coach, they put in a remanned quadrajet. I'm probably going to give them a call. While at this point I dont want them messing with it more, they did say if there was a carb problem they would look at it no charge since they put it in
Old 01-26-2018, 10:07 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,348 Times in 6,059 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

the one thing with the q jet you got to watch is over tightening the air cleaner nut.. it will pull the center of the top up and cause choke problems. but that would be a start up issue. not a run problem. it could be a low vacuum condition that lets the power valve pull open. normal if they have the float adjusted to high you get the problem your talking about rounding a corner. gas will slop over into the the intake and flood it out.

easy check for a vacuum leak is with a small propane torch. with the car running at idle, just crack the valve on the torch and run it around the base of the crab and the fittings and intake. if it picks up RPM you found a leak. needless to say you don't light the torch.

rebuilds are a problem as they will use parts off a number of different carbs to get one out the door. one other thing you can do is swap, put the original one back on if the problem changes or goes away you know it is a carb problem.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:38 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,071 Posts

This is getting silly and costing money. My 68 Cadillac I bought new was a great car and I have had many 68s since including many Pro Cars this is not a troublesome year. The premo Carburator rebuilder is Larry Isgro Carburetors

1604 Argyle Rd,

Wantagh, NY 11793

(516) 783-1041 He as done my Packard Caribbean 2 4 barrels and others for me. Check his ratings on Google.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:56 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,656 Times in 3,812 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

For other carburetor rebuilders, please check the recommended vendors forum. There is one person in Arizona that specializes in rebuilding the Rochester Quadrajet carburetors and knows them so well that he can identify the carburetor by just looking at it. This is the type of master carburetor rebuilder that you want to use, especially, if your carburetor has missing or miss-matched parts.

Carburetors Unlimited
7942 W Gold Dust Ave
Ste 3,
Peoria, AZ 85345

(623) 388-0990

http://www.carburetorsunlimited.com/
Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
This is getting silly and costing money. My 68 Cadillac I bought new was a great car and I have had many 68s since including many Pro Cars this is not a troublesome year. The premo Carburator rebuilder is Larry Isgro Carburetors

1604 Argyle Rd,

Wantagh, NY 11793

(516) 783-1041 He as done my Packard Caribbean 2 4 barrels and others for me. Check his ratings on Google.
The reason im taking it back to the guys that installed this carburetor is because they will work on it free if its a carb issue. If they say its something else besides the carb then i will get a quote and walk out with my money for now. Cant really afford to throw money at it right now anyway. I figure as long as they will do carb work free I will let them take a free crack at it. If they figure it out and fix it, great. If they say I have another problem then at least I can take that info elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
For other carburetor rebuilders, please check the recommended vendors forum. There is one person in Arizona that specializes in rebuilding the Rochester Quadrajet carburetors and knows them so well that he can identify the carburetor by just looking at it. This is the type of master carburetor rebuilder that you want to use, especially, if your carburetor has missing or miss-matched parts.

Carburetors Unlimited
7942 W Gold Dust Ave
Ste 3,
Peoria, AZ 85345

(623) 388-0990

http://www.carburetorsunlimited.com/
Thanks, I will look into that. I do plan on getting the old one rebuilt.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Website Member

Took it back in this morning to take advantange of the carburetor warranty. If the problem is carb related it will be free of charge. If its anything else I may just grab an estimate and hopefully leave with more info than I had before
Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Website Member

Shop told me that they found the cause. They say i was running rich and my plugs were fouled. They said my auto choke is not working properly and that alot of old cars had auto chokes that didnt work well.

They recommended installing a manual choke, which they are going to give me an estimate for.

Im not sure on the manual choke. Why not fix the auto choke? In any case i cant afford anything at the moment, so i will at least get my quote. They are making adjustments to the carb though
Old 01-30-2018, 07:40 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,319 Times in 958 Posts
Default 68

Fix the auto choke , they worked fine when new and can work the same if repaired correctly. If you can get by , have them set the choke fully open. It will be harder to start cold but you might get by with a few extra pumps on the gas pedal to enrich for a cold start. Worst case is a shot of starting fluid with a inop choke. Or just let it sit until you can get the carb rebuilt correctly.

1961 S&S Limo Style End Loader
1962 Buick Electra 225 Limo (By Flxible)
1965 Crown Sovereign 3-Way
1965 C/B Landau
1968 Crown Royale 3-way
1996 Eagle Coupe de Fleur

1964 Dodge 880 Hardtop Wagon
1963 Bug
1973 VW Thing
1968 A-100 Truck
1970 300 Convertible
Old 01-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Website Member

Is there risk of damage if its driven with fouled plugs?