70 Superior Rescuer Question

James Fischer

PCS Member
I would like to get some thoughts and input on repair of both front fenders on the 70 rescuer......
I have located both front fenders in exceptional condition(after 2 months of calls and e-mails across the country)
They are very nice,and the price does reflect that......... the seller wants $950.00 for both and that is a firm price.
I know REAL metel is always better,however I am not sure I want to put that much money into them when I can get a good metal/bodyman to do his magic.
SO,please let me know what you think.......

Here is a photo of current condition...

bth_2012Christmas70Superior107.jpg

bth_2012Christmas70Superior109.jpg

th_2012Christmas70Superior106

Last edited:
Those fenders are very repairable, and when you factor in the shipping, it will add to the original cost of purchase. If you haven't seen the replacement fenders in person, you have no idea as to how good they actually are. They might have the same type of rust forming on the back side of the fender, since that is where the rust originates from. Assuming that the shipping is going to be $300, that means that the pair is going to cost $1250.... I am certain that a reputable body shop can repair those fenders perfectly for that amount of money or less. The labor to remove the fenders, and to reinstall, after repair or replacement is going to be the same. Factor in paint, and the total for the entire repair might shock you into doing nothing until you are ready to do a complete body restoration of the vehicle.

Words of caution with the new fenders, 69 and 70 Cadillac front fender lower sections were rusting before they were 6 months into the new car warranty. A good friend of mine who worked for Mack Cadillac in Mount Prospect, IL in 1969 and at Hanley Dawson Cadillac in downtown Chicago in 1970, said it was not uncommon for the front fenders to rust out before the were 6 months old. Some of the 69 or 70 cars were rusting before the new car dealers could get them off the new car lot. He went on to tell me, that Cadillac would replace them under warranty but they would not last, so they found it more effective to have the body shops weld in plates and cut back the lower inner supports so the fenders could drain better. I have seen some rust free fenders in desert areas, but if the climate is in the least bit moist they have either been fixed or they are rusted out. The ones in the picture do not look to bad I would have plates welded in. Just my opinion.

Lower fender rusting is very common. I've dealt with it on personal, Non-Procars. It's really no deal IF you find a competent shop to do the repair.

As others have said...Better to go with what you know you have instead of a far-off maybe.

fenders

hey bud, those fenders are repairable alot cheaper than replacing. competent shop should be able to repair alot easier than replacing them. if it were mine and i had new fenders i would still repair the ones on the car. cheaper and you know what ya got. and they are original to the car. i had this repair done at a shop and for both sides with new metal and primed was 675.00. and that was ok but i have a slow guy now and he would get 500. or so he said. whatever you feel the best about i guess. good luck!

I would just have yours repaired,, or just wait a little longer.. I am sure sooner or later you can find those fenders for less.. Hell if your really willing to pay 950 dollars plus shipping for those fenders i will pull them of my 69 and send them to ya.. seriously tho if you really must have new fenders. just wait a bit.. I will be glad to hunt around and try to find ya some good ones..

Fenders

Cheaper better to fix them.

Attachments

• DSCI0112.jpg
    DSCI0112.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCI0113.jpg
    DSCI0113.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 377
I've done a few of my own on similar fenders in that area. I used a little air cut off tool and cut the area out, made a new piece and mig welded it in and had good luck as long as I painted the back side after it was done and filled. It is a good idea to cool the welds down between welds if you can to prevent warping. It would save you much if you could patch it yourself. Good luck. I like your car..Larry

Words of caution with the new fenders, 69 and 70 Cadillac front fender lower sections were rusting before they were 6 months into the new car warranty. A good friend of mine who worked for Mack Cadillac in Mount Prospect, IL in 1969 and at Hanley Dawson Cadillac in downtown Chicago in 1970, said it was not uncommon for the front fenders to rust out before the were 6 months old. Some of the 69 or 70 cars were rusting before the new car dealers could get them off the new car lot. He went on to tell me, that Cadillac would replace them under warranty but they would not last, so they found it more effective to have the body shops weld in plates and cut back the lower inner supports so the fenders could drain better. I have seen some rust free fenders in desert areas, but if the climate is in the least bit moist they have either been fixed or they are rusted out. The ones in the picture do not look to bad I would have plates welded in. Just my opinion.

Bruce,
Thank you for your opinion.....its funny but I have heard similar stories in the past about Cadillac replacing fenders within the warranty period on 69-70's.
Thanks again!!!!

hey bud, those fenders are repairable alot cheaper than replacing. competent shop should be able to repair alot easier than replacing them. if it were mine and i had new fenders i would still repair the ones on the car. cheaper and you know what ya got. and they are original to the car. i had this repair done at a shop and for both sides with new metal and primed was 675.00. and that was ok but i have a slow guy now and he would get 500. or so he said. whatever you feel the best about i guess. good luck!

Kyle,
Thank you for the information it will help me when I am getting quotes from body shops.....Being in California I am sure it will be a bit more...but at least I have a basis from which to go......
I appreciate your opinion and input !!:)
Jim

I would just have yours repaired,, or just wait a little longer.. I am sure sooner or later you can find those fenders for less.. Hell if your really willing to pay 950 dollars plus shipping for those fenders i will pull them of my 69 and send them to ya.. seriously tho if you really must have new fenders. just wait a bit.. I will be glad to hunt around and try to find ya some good ones..

Paul,
I have found 4 other pairs within 100 miles radius and 3 of them had the same issues and the 4th wanted $1200.00 !! FIRM.....
But you have to remember I am in California,and most if not all parts for vintage vehicles always seems to be higher here then anywhere else....:rolleyes:
But,thank you for your opinion,it sure helps !!!!

Daniel,
LOOKS GREAT !!
Are you going to be in Sacramento area by any chance ??
Let me know.So I can reserve you a room and get the beer on ice !!
Thanks for your opinion !!

Wish I could say that is my work , If you could get it down this way I could get you hooked up a friend that is a great metal guy.This is some of his work.

Attachments

• DSC02578.jpg
    DSC02578.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 212
  • __hr_64+side+view.jpg
    __hr_64+side+view.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC04759.jpg
    DSC04759.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC07686.jpg
    DSC07686.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 219
Fender Opinions...

Went to the body/paint shop this morning with the 70.....

To REPAIR the 2 front fenders,including cutting out the old,welding in new panel,prep for paint I was quoted 8 hours labor on passenger side and 6 hours labor on the driver side......14hrs @ $80.00=$1120.00

To REPLACE the fenders would be 2@$500=$1000.00 plus 2 hours($80.00hr) to remove and replace for a total of $1160.00.

I am still awaiting his e-mail with the rest of the quote for body and paint.......

Please let me know if this sounds about right.....

Thanks all !!

I would move out to calf if I did know how hard it is to work out there. took my son a week to get clearance just to manly check to see if he had enough ins to cover them out there .

you get them off send then to me and I'll do them for 100 bucks each then send them back of course freight will run you 300 each way. take about a day

I would move out to calf if I did know how hard it is to work out there. took my son a week to get clearance just to manly check to see if he had enough ins to cover them out there .

you get them off send then to me and I'll do them for 100 bucks each then send them back of course freight will run you 300 each way. take about a day

Yes,.California is not business friendly as people would like,they are trying to get better,but with Nevada and Texas whose Governors were both here in the last few weeks trying to lure business to their states.....they have slowed down as far as business/employment taxes/breaks goes,but nontheless they throw out a new "temporary" tax whenever they can get away with it......well starting to ramble sorry.....:eek:

As far as the fenders....THANK YOU kindly for such a great offer !!
And it is tempting........I am hoping that the rest of the quote comes in at "resonable" amount to offset the fender work......I hope to have the quote by e-mail today....I am also going to get a couple more quotes from shops I have used in the past.....just have to wait a few days,as it is currently raining....
Thank you again Ed !! Your the man !!:)
Jim

Back