VIN questions

When I was attempting to find a second VIN on my 1969 Miller Meteor ambulance, I called the Cadillac Division of GM, and eventually got to some one in one department that told me that whenever they did have a warranty issue with a CC car, that they just instructed the servicing dealer to disregard the engine numbers, since they didn't match the cowl VIN many times. This is the case with my 1969 MM. One has to keep in mind that in 1969 there wasn't as much emphasis placed on keeping matching numbers as there is today.
I remember when a very low numbered first production Chevrolet Corvette came up for sale, the auction house in an effort to get the most dollars out of the auction asked the seller if it were OK to remove some parts that they knew were numbered at the factory, and should correspond to the VIN. Upon removing either the headlight assembly or the tail light assembly, they found that one matched the VIN and the other was off by 2 or 3 digits. Someone then pronounced that even Chevrolet couldn't keep the numbering system consistent on the assembly line from the first car. What was considered an acceptable practice in 1969 wouldn't be considered acceptable today.

Guess a old dog can be taught new tricks. I didn't realize that GM would be that loose and allow that to occur. It wasn't unusual that at least in Chevrolet warranty issues in the early 70's the VIN on the block would be verified for warranty repairs. This was to preclude someone trying to pull a fast one and warranty a blown engine out of warranty with his buddy's car by swapping the engine. I heard of at least one case of that.

At that time I worked in Chevy and Pontiac dealerships, so not much chance to be involved with Cadillac pro cars. Back then, GM did not encourage dealers to cross service car lines.

Harley Davidson was sloppy with frame stamped VIN numbers in the mid 70's. They would put a line through the number, and restamp the correct number below. There was a factory TSB to this effect. My '76 XLCH had that issue, and I researched this before I bought it.

I used to let registrations lapse on occasion if a car I owned wasn't to be driven that year. Such was the case with my '76 S&S hearse. Just before driving it to Mt. Laurel NJ, I wanted to get the registration sticker. The Indiana DMV computer system had changed and they couldn't quickly find the prior registration of the car, even though I had it in my hand.

Paul is exactly correct about telling them that it is a station wagon. Indiana USED to have a designation "5W" 5-door wagon, and all my other hearses are registered as such, even the flower car. So since the lady could not find 5W, she just asked, "What is it close to". Frustrated by this time, I simply said 75 series limousine, which listed in her computer. The typed away at the computer, and I thought all was going well until she produced an invoice approaching $200! I thought "WHOA! .... no way!" Further computer research, going back and forth between multiple programs, confirmed that other cars I owned were registered as 5W, with yearly registration approximately $40. I forgot now how it all worked out, except that I walked out with a new sticker for far less than $200.

By the way, if you need to weigh the car, find a truck stop with a scale, or if you live in the country, the local grain elevator would have one too. My elevator doesn't even charge me, because they're as interested to know what the cars weigh as I am! Good luck....... Tom

I do have two weigh stations within 5 miles of me, but the hassle in the mean time is getting my car there without the plates. I can tell I'm just gonna have loads of fun getting this car registered- no weight, it's a hearse, and the VIN on the current title is missing the first half, and there is a typo on the part that is present. Oye! :drama:

Yay! I went to the DMV today and after some convincing and haggling, I was able to get my car registered! Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions!
(doing happy dance) :dancing:

Back