2001 Cadillac Deville issue

My 2001 Deville is running like a top but now having a few issues with it starting all the time. I start and drive the car, turn it off and sometimes it restarts and sometimes it doesn't. I wait about 5-10 minutes and it restarts. Recently I would hit the key fob to lock it then unlock it and car starts except for this morning at hotel. I already changed the battery but took that one back and reinstalled the one that was in it since it was replaced just a little over a year ago.
Some say it has something to do with the security system making the car think it is being stolen.

Any ideas?

My 2001 Deville is running like a top but now having a few issues with it starting all the time. I start and drive the car, turn it off and sometimes it restarts and sometimes it doesn't. I wait about 5-10 minutes and it restarts. Recently I would hit the key fob to lock it then unlock it and car starts except for this morning at hotel. I already changed the battery but took that one back and reinstalled the one that was in it since it was replaced just a little over a year ago.
Some say it has something to do with the security system making the car think it is being stolen.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue with my 1999 Eagle Cadillac Coupe De Fleur, it is a program key issue with the security system. You will need to have Cadillac dealer reprogram the keys/computer system.

Just a couple of weeks ago,I had similar issues with my Deville...Dealer told me its the VAT system (security)....they narrowed it down to a module,said it would be $300-$400.....Not........took it to my mechanic ...he installed a by-pass module....for $137.00...havent had any problems since....:rolleyes:

yep

I promise you it is a security system issue. facing the same problem with a chevy equinox today. seen it many times. and I mean a lot! common issue with gm cars. replace the battery in the remote also as the car thinks its being stolen. I promise you that's whats wrong. reprogram the security system is the correct fix. happens a lot when batterys are disconnected or are run dead. any gm store can do the repair well not a repair but reprogram the security system while you wait. 5 minutes and its done.

but just think your secure. of course any good thief has the ability to do this also but the illusion is there. getting so common now that they don't event try the door to see if it is unlocked the smash and grab is standard.

We have a 97 Fleetwood Brogham with the $137.00 module installed and the vehicle still intermittently will not start, but allows the starter to just crank. Does reprogramming have any bearing on this repair to be completed? What I know is that the ignition switch has a wire, thickness of three hairs, the wires are attached to the tumbler and after time the wires brake from the action of turning the ignition thru it's range to start up. In our vehicle the "Fault Security" light shows on the dash. The reason most owners do not make the $1000.00 dollar repair is due to the difficulty and labor involved in the service procedure, taking apart the steering column and the under dash, so they just opt out by installing the module to bypass. The module is selected to the type of chip in the key when you order the product. I would appreciate any information on the issue, so my 2 cents on the thread.

Michael,
You hit the nail on the head as far as the description of the problem:That is exactly what the Cadillac dealer said and also what is posted all over the internet...
As far as " The reason most owners do not make the $1000.00 dollar repair is due to the difficulty and labor involved in the service procedure, taking apart the steering column and the under dash, so they just opt out by installing the module to bypass...
I think you answered your own question...The value on SOME of the years and models of Cadillacs are just not worth that kind of investment ...
mine is a 94 with only 32k miles on her and she looks almost perfect,however the value is less then $2500.....so I for one could not see investing 300-500 and then get only a 30 day guarantee on electrical.....
4 months ago I had problems with a the remote door locks...again it was a module under the drivers seat...the dealer could not locate a new one in the US...they did find one at a dealer in Canada,but again the cost of the module was $437.00US..:eek:...so I now unlock my doors with a real key ....and they work fine....
The dealer told me that the VAT system that GM uses is prone to electrical malfunctions after continuous use....hmmmm whatever that means....
Just thought I would let you know that your not the only one with headaches :rolleyes:

James, likewise our triple gray Brogham is a low mile, gorgeous pile and a favorite in the fleet. So many parts no longer available that owning the vehicle is really unwise. I wish to hear from Joe Rackov for his foot in the industry door knowledge. Recently a proportioning valve leak in the power steering pump that could not be found anywhere, fortunately our mechanic checked online for a rebuild of the device which took using air conditioning system "O" rings to repair the virtual faucet to get shut off. Still waiting for the 55 gallon drum of almond milk to arrive here in Minneapolis from your orchard. ;) I have block ice and snowballs in trade.

cheap

I know about being cheap. sometimes I spend twice as much fixing my cheap deals. not trying to be a naysayer but IF you asked me ( and you haven't ) I would advise anyone buying a caddy with a northstar to well, rethink it. ive sold many of these cars and when you fix one problem another arises. I can sell every caddy I buy but the wont run a note. that means they will not take abuse and are very needy vehicles as pertaining to service. so I made a decision to not buy anymore. cost me more than they make just to keep the customer happy (and paying) as nobody pays when they aint ridin. that's a fact. ive got em back from repoing the car only to send them to salvage as the car cost more to fix than its worth. and off comes the note from my receivables and one less payment coming in. I could go on and on about norhtstar caddy's. but then again if you like it fix it and hopefully nothing else will happen. :thumbsup:

Yes and among its great features the starter on the Northstar is located inside the engine. And we wonder why the foreign high end cars took over the market. In all fairness today looks like Cadillac is on the way back. Now if we could just talk Ford into giving us a real Lincoln again!!!!

Here's an update on the non-starting Deville. Turns out the battery cable to the starter was barely on and appears as if the mechanic put cable on turned the nut twice then forgot to tighten. Also this has a battery cable that splits and at the spilt the cable was damaged which needed replacement.

It appears to have corrected the problem. Sad part is the stater is under the in-take so all that had to come off requiring all new gaskets.

We'll see how it works.

Just a FYI regarding intermittent no start issues. First one specifically for 2001-2002 DeVille and Seville models, caused by loose or missing generator to engine mounting bolts, chassis to engine and generator ground mounting bolts missing and loose generator wiring connection. That TSB is 02-06-03-007

The other one, 09-06-03-004E deals with corrosion at connectors that cause a similar no start condition.

Your local dealer should run you off a copy or I can and mail it to you if you will PM me.

Back