door and quarter panel origination

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
A friend who is getting ready to start body work on my 75 Lifeliner made the following statement:
All four side doors are identical except for the curve at the top where both doors meet...says these doors were made for 2 door Coupe DeVilles and convertibles.
Thoughts?

He asked the following question: Are the quarterpanels the same as those on 2 door Coupe DeVilles?

In other words, could a Couple DeVille become a donor vehicle????

Thoughts, opinions, theories all appreciated!

As far as I know, the doors and rear quarters should be coachbuilt by M-M, not directly from a Coupe deVille. I suspect if your body guy tried to use those panels as is, he'd be surprised at the differences in dimensions.

Could the Coupe deVille body panels be a starting point to make new panels? Possibly.

to follow up on Steve's response. No. but the man is right. they don't fit together don't try to make them, you strike for the molding being even and best fit in the hole. don't hollow out the lead in the upper front corner or in the back center door jam. they hang out on the bottom. you make adjustment in the top glass frame like the glass on a 2 dr hard top. independent of the door shell. they are custom made doors as are the quarters. all they share with GM is a general appearance. gm made the cowl forward the rest is made by MM not GM

Thanks Ed

Thanks Ed! I never even wondered about this stuff before. I was hoping my friend might have been on to something good.

Back