1949 to 54 Chevy and Pon sedan deliveries

Bud, do you have any idea where it served its professional life?

As a matter of fact, I do, I have all of the paperwork in the owners manual. When I happen to find where I put it, I will share some more lovely photos, including the original service warranty paperwork!!!

One thing I can say is that it was in service until i believe 1966 and has been in Canada the whole time.

Ed,

Thanks for pointing that out that the image I posted above of the two 1954 Superior Pontiac's were not Sedan delivery chassis as I’m still learning and have a long way to go. I wonder if there is any correlation with the fact 1953 was the last year for the Pontiac sedan deliveries to be made if it was any coincidence that it was the first year Superior began building their Pontiac based vehicles at the Mississippi plant as Walt pointed out. Maybe Ambulances before were also based on wagons and convertibles but again I’m still learning all the details.

I guess to the untrained eye or to those like me who really don’t know their Pontiac’s very well in these 1953-54 year models that the sedan delivery and a wagon conversion look very similar. When I saw the Acme ambulance posted on the previous page I thought to myself they sure look similar in body and length.

If anything this exchange here between you and I regarding these not being sedan delivery chassis might also help educate others who might read this thread. I have to admit it’s an interesting difference between sedan deliveries and wagon based ambulances and the key word which I apparently missed was “delivery” which I’m assuming meant the vehicles started out not having any windows on the side and were cargo haulers and not passenger cars.

A side note, what is the technical term used for ambulances or funeral cars based on the Chevy / GMC truck chassis? Would these be panel vans or truck deliveries? I ask because I’m really not up on these truck based vehicles of the 50’s -60’s

Here is a picture of such a truck based ambulance I’m asking about. I’m not sure of the year model or what it’s technically referred to. Thanks for your input

truckdisplay2_zps23e24dca.jpg

I don't know if his question was answered about the year of the white ambulance in the picture. I'm not an expert but I think its a 48 Chevy, based on the grille?
I have a 48 Chevy (National) if someone wanted to post the picture of it, has my permission:)
Anyone know how many 48 Chevy National's were made? I don't remember if I ever seen this info? Thanks. Oh after re-reading the title, maybe because it starts at 1949?

that would be a Chevy panel truck. they came in 1/2 to one ton and in at least two wheel bases. lot of home made ones out there on that rig. and at least one manufacture that like to do them also.

Attachments

• 1951 Franklin add.jpg
    1951 Franklin add.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 366
Back