1960 Cadillac Hearse - gas tank / sending unit

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
I have a 1960 S/S Victoria Hearse that needs a gas tank and sending unit.

I have sent the gas tank to GasTank Renu. It is in the recommended vendor section. I had no luck finding a new tank for commercial chassis. They do have new tanks for passenger cars.

I thing the difference is that the filler tube for passenger cars is at the back and filler tube on the CC is on the side.
Anyone know for sure ?

Now I'm looking to see if the sending unit is the same for all, passenger and CC. I would guess they would fit all but better to know then guess.
Does anyone know for sure ?

Ebay list them but no mention of them fitting a CC.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Darren

Check the recommended vendors for the company that repairs the sending units. That way, you know you will have the correct item. I also believe that the CC is different than the passenger car units. Would need to check the book, but don't have time before I leave to go to Flint. Paul

UPDATE
GROUP: 3.107 Float Unit, In Fuel Tank ......... 1958 exc. CC;1959 thru 1964-CC 564 2565 $5.86 w/gasket (1967 price)

from what I have been into on the 60 tanks they changed the pickup tube so that it comes out of the side of the tank and returned to the bottom. don't loose those bushings.. if you had a hearse not a combo/ambulance with the storage compartment. you could use a regular caddy tank and sending unit. they pull out of the center top and return there. with out the storage box you would have more then enough room for the lines. with it it's tight. you would have to move the fill hole also. but it's around 100 to get the sending unit fixed 3 or so for the tank repair. it might be a wash to put the stock tank in and change the fill hole. one would have to price things out.

Thanks for the replies so far.

When I called for the update on the car repairs, he said the sending unit should be replaced as well as re-doing the gas tank.

I never asked what was wrong with it. I just started looking for one.

The guy across the street works at a car parts place. I will call him and see if he can help me out. He gets most of my replacement parts.

I will see if I can find one. If not I will see why he wanted to replace it.
There is one on ebay for 60.00 but I just don't know if it is the same for CC.

I ended up sending him a link to the ebay listing to see if the one pictured was the same as the one that came out of the car.

I will update this thread as I get more info.

On a side note... I can't wait to go get the car !!!!!
Snow - Salt - Ice - Winter... get lost !!!!! Bring on the warm sunny weather.

I have ordered a set of Diamond Back Tires for the car too. They should arrive there next week.

I have replaced all parts to needed to make it road worthy.
Brakes, Master Cylinder, Water pump, Gas Tank, Tires, etc...

Getting excited and will have the car in Ohio for the big meet.

Darren

Hey try www.usapartssupply.com I have one of their catalogs for my 1960 S&S combo and they have alot of new and used parts that are for the commercial chassis as well as parts for regular Cadillacs. They are worth a shot. They sometimes have CC body panels too (fenders, hood,doors, etc) They may not fit perfect but at least it gives an option for patch panels.

the sending unit for the CC is different. the standard caddy has the lines comming out of it. they are almost impossable to find. you can get yours rebuilt from one of the venders listed here. not a lot to rebuilding one if you have the stuff. don't know if this is the same or not I have it labled 65 to 70

Attachments

• 65-70 gage sender AC-6425938.jpg
    65-70 gage sender AC-6425938.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 598
Casey

Thanks. Called them and they said they a sending unit for a 1960 Cadillac but didn't know if it would fit a hearse.

Here is the one pictured on ebay with lines attached like Ed said.

I will get the guy fixing the car to take a photo of the one that came out of the car so I know what it looks like and to compare them.

Thanks all,
Darren

Attachments

• 60 Cad Sending unit.jpg
    60 Cad Sending unit.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 545
Fuel tank

This is a subject I unfortunately know alot about. The fuel tank HAS to be from a CC, along with fuel sending unit and fuel filler. Mine was LOST during restoration and I am just now getting it back together. Fortunately for you and I, I have located a couple sets of tank, sending unit and fuel filler. The filler comes out the back on my 64 Superior, so I assume it does as well on your S & S...let me know if this helps and I'll get you in contact with the vendors. Doug Watson

I have been checking the suppliers getting ready order the last stuff for this 63 found this in USA parts. so they are for sale some were. I also noticed they are offering the rear wheel bearings for the 70 to 76 cars that we have not been able to find.

Attachments

• 1960 sending unit 60.JPG
    1960 sending unit 60.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 498
  • 1970 to 75 cc rear bearing.JPG
    1970 to 75 cc rear bearing.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 499
Darren,

Let me ask these guys if they need the tank off that 60 Miller Meteor....

5510397671_2e3e35c06e_z.jpg

Doug

I have had my tank re-done at Gas Tank Renu.

I just need the sending unit at this time.

The mechanic never mentioned anything about the filler tube needing to be replaced.

As far as I know the filler is on the side of the tank in the 60.

I will double check with the guy tomorrow about position of the filler tube just so I know.

Would the sending unit be available on its own from your vendors ?
Let me know.

Thanks for the info !

Ed

Thanks very much for the chart ! Looks like it could have a few options for a 60 CC hearse. With or without A/C.

I wonder why they would have a different sending unit for a car with air conditioning ? That's strange to me.

Looks like I need to double check to see if the car I just got has air. I don't think it does but I better check tomorrow.

Dave

I would rather leave the tank in that baby and have it show up at the OHIO meet !!!
I did talk Rick into showing up at the Albany meet last year and this year it would be outstanding to have him get it back on the road after a long hibernation !!!
He mentioned it and I hope it happens ! I would be thrilled !

Ricks 60 MM Futura and Toms 60 S/S have been two of my favorite cars since joining the PCS in 1993.

What was I thinking in Pittsburg in 1994 wearing those shorts ?!

Would love to take an updated photo this year in OHIO !
Get in touch with Rick.

Darren

look at the list again they are all the same part number just the letters change. 159 + 100 core charge is a little steep I would think the last one I had fixed was 110 and freight if I remember correctly. but the book is showing up a few more CC things then they did before. in all there lines.

Cars with AC have a return line, comming from the fuel filter bowl. The sending unit will have 2 lines. A feed line, and return line.

Cars with AC have a return line, comming from the fuel filter bowl. The sending unit will have 2 lines. A feed line, and return line.

on the standard caddy tank that is. the CC tank has the lines comming out of the right courner the top will have a line that goes inside the tank to the sump. then exects the upper right courner. the return on the AC car is into the lower fitting. the tank fills from the left rear side. the sending unit has no lines commig off from it and it is recessed into the tank. all this was done to accomadate the rear storage compertment in the floor. if your car does not have that compartment one could use the standard tank and sending unit. by modifing the filler neck like the 70s cars are. running the fill tube just inside the rear rail and up to the gas flap. or pluging it and welding a new one in the left rear. this set up is the same on Brendons 63, Jims 66 and My 68.
if the car has the storage compartment you can't get away with a standard tank or sending unit. this is what Darren and I talked about at the micro meet.

Attachments

• 1963 gas tank.jpg
    1963 gas tank.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 1963 filler.jpg
    1963 filler.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 1963 sending unit.jpg
    1963 sending unit.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4478a.jpg
    IMG_4478a.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 193
So, the line marked "suction" goes to the carb and the plug in the tank is where the "return" line -- from the fuel filter, in a car with AC -- would go?

I just replaced the gas tank in my 1958 Cadillac Limo and could not remember which line went where.

Back