1957 Ford F-100 ambulance

the crown on the passengers door? I could not find a image of another 57 ford interior that was not customised and the shot of it can't be enlarged to see it. it's either a superior crown or the ford custom cab tag.

That is a Superior Crown emblem. Ford only put the Custom Cab name on the outside on both doors in script or some had the Custom Cab Script as part of the finger guard on the out side door handle. Custom cabs had some inside and outside stainless and a few other options that a regular cab did not have.

That Superior Crown decal/emblem on the inside of the passenger side door is identical to the cuff link/tie bar set that that I own that was given away on the one year anniversary of the purchase of the first Superior Crown Sovereign/Royale coaches, circa 1959/1960.

Here's another photo I found of a '46 Miller ambulance window. Sure looks the same to me.

Attachments

• 46MillerCadWindow.JPG
    46MillerCadWindow.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 94
yes I was sure that spindly crown was a superior crest. now is there one at least on all three openings. or just the one, as in it was something someone had in their toolbox and added for effect.

should it not say superior or just crown or be blank?

the original bumper described as heavy diamond deck? not a typical Superior style. they loved those big wire screen porches. it would be more along the Challenger style

but those of you that have are have seen a 50s superior ambulance is the hanging hardware a style they used? fairly distinctive. the rods down from a eye in the ceiling were typical of them. but that spindly stand off. I have not seen

I'm guessing that the cabinet behind the gurney is for the overhead flats. most Superiors use the trapdoor in the floor for them.

then one more thought. as you look at the pictures there is no place for the attendant the road flat sits to low on the bench and overhangs the passenger's seat. doses the passenger's seat flip around? looks like it could easily.

the nice part of this truck is it's all there and except for the obvious additions of cosmetic changes is complete as built. it has not gone through a series of cosmetic changes from a succession of owners. had key parts worn out and replaced. only a incorrect paint job by one and the antenna hole filled most likely at that time. bumper and wheels changed then. then the lettering and the wheels back. one can easily identify those changes. what is left is as it was assembled in late 57 model year. which would be the spring or summer of 57. cause the 58s were out in september.

but figuring out that side glass that is the key. why would they not have used their pattern, there signature if Superior built it. common practice in some of the smaller players to use that cross in a circle and 4 stripes. I have examples of at least 5 that did. also as in superiors case the different pattern on there different lines. but I have not seen any of the big plays use a 10 year old pattern from one of the other large manufactures even slightly modified.

here is the interior shops showing the hanging hardware and the placement of the road flat. imagon 2 hanging and one on the gurney. I see no provisions for one flat on the bench.

but as we dig into the truck it does show ties to superior in a lot of ways.

Attachments

• 1957 ford right door.JPG
    1957 ford right door.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 1957 ford ambulance glass.jpg
    1957 ford ambulance glass.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
More Fodder...

Thanks again to everybody for all your work on this..
Hard to get back to you today, as we are slammed here and expect to be through May.
Here are answers to some of your observations and questions:
a. The yellow faded sticker states as posted: "Caution unplug engine warmer before starting". Which backs up the story I heard from everyone I spoke to out in CA. They were quite proud : "the Ambulance was always kept indoors and on a engine heat pad".
b. The diamond plate bumper was indeed removed and this old fellow put on chrome.
c. it never had a AM radio so, the only "holes filled for an antenna" would be the ones for the short lived, aforementioned 'whip'.
d. I will try and get time to give you better pix of the rear 'couch' seat. The hangars and stanchions removed were stored in either cabinet so the seat would be used on the right side only. The left cabinet is strictly for storage (due to the proximity of the gurney), judging from its ease of operation (lid almost impossible to lift) and contents -it was seldom ever used. The upholstery and floor linoleum is all mint original (as is the headliner).
e. So no one gets too excited(!) The resto shop found the 2 crowns in the ashtray (which was stuck shut- No smoking in Ambulances, maybe?) so, thinking they were Ford interior Crowns, they got mounted. As far as decals, Emergency foglights, license plates , on& on- My wife doesn't dress our cats up in little outfits but, we DO tend to 'accessorize' our cars. For those of you screaming 'sanctimony, sanctimony" (like the "IV bottle" comment)... last time I checked~ this is a free Country- not everybody is into plain jane, bare bones, stock :D. Note:The folks that go through the Museum don't care...in fact, they LOVE it.
f. As posted before : the build date is "4F' which according to my Standard Catalog for Ford books decodes as 4th week of June.
g.the side glass. Thanks Steve-Sure looks like the 'arrow' pointed version of a Miller back light. However, since Miller was absorbed during a merger in March 1956- way before this was built...highly improbable Miller built it, or had any hand in it. Maybe purchased as left-over stock. Who knows?
h. Entirely possible Superior cursive fender script was removed during the 2nd owners involvement but, I haven't been able to confirm its being there BEFORE he bought it. No one can remember (nor was it important to them). The old, orig. driver for this rig was suppose to find me pix but, has been very ill. So, maybe someday -if found- I can close this book.
i. Superiors own website states that "major designs came in 1957, 1965, 1971 and 1977.." so, we also considered the fact that it's possible the Pathfinder Coach Division of Superior out of Kosciusko, Miss. had their hands in the project (kind-of our conclusion). Perhaps a one-off 'mule' to test the waters. Possibly too costly to build and dumped. I have owned 18 vintage coaches from Miller-Meteor, S&S [Hess & Eisenhardt], Meteor, Henney, Barnette and Superior and despite __'s low opinion of 'Superior' I found them just that- in quality of construction, accessories/features, design and rust prevention. and I'm not trying to inflame anybody. Just one man's opinion. I've never bought a Pontiac Superior- maybe that may be different. Speaking of:
j. Pontiac has the PHS-Pontiac Historical Services but, Ford only has the Marti Report. However, its only available from 1967-2007 and on 1962-1967 T-Birds. I did put a call into Ford Historical, trying to locate the gentleman I helped there before, but no call back, yet. I do have a client who has been a Ford Dealer out West for over 50 years so, I can always ask him about 1958 engines in 1957 cars. Hey, I'm open to anything at this point.
k. I am NOT trying to make this coach anything other then whatever it is. If it turns out to be something other than Superior- its; probably even rarer. I was convinced after researching for months and from all the folks I spoke to... it /was what I posted. Until I can find time to possibly discover some secret /hidden stamping that reveals the true identity, I will keep it posting as "Superior Equipped".
l. Yes, it has a color change from Colonial White to Bright White but, in all my years I have seldom seen any car this pristine...I mean 'come'on' it's a service car that should have been "ridden hard and put away wet", yet they kept it in amazing condition. I have a pristine 62 Cadillac 6-window Sedan pampered Passenger Car with 19,000 miles all original, that just barely stands-up to this coach. Thanks again-your time IS appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Kerry you get a break see if the passenger's seat will turn around and face backwards. I can believe that none of the hanging hardware was taken out of storage more than to look at it but don't take any thing as a slam. it's not just mention things as if we were standing there discussing the rig in person. at least it's a glass IV bottle but that one time disposable plastic stethoscope has to go. I find one of the old bake-o-lite bell, steel ones I'll send it to you. the

combination of different manufactures parts and workmanship is very confusing to me.

I take it the cabinets and under the bench are steel not wood?

Now, I don't profess to know anything about body work, but would a small conversion shop have recessed the quarter windows as was done when this rig was built?

simple answer yes. especially is they had gone out to the 46-47 miller out back and trimmed the body around the glass cut the hole in the ford and welded it in place leaded the seam. that part is simple. same as putting the lights over the cab.

it's the making the cabinets and bench seat trimming out the the back that has me wondering. there is nothing crude looking back there. it has the look of factory. like I said it reminds me a lot of the seabert at gold cross. the use of material not painted of course covers up a lot of sins. a quality upholstery shop could have easily done that. and unlike today the trim was standard go down to the hardware store and pick up stuff in the 50's.

one of the reasons I was asking on how they solved the attendant problem. a larger manufacture would have done that a small shop my not have.

but if that passengers seat turns around the floor mount or the pegs would be altered. as if I remember right it has a flat spot that only lets it go in one way

More observations for you....

A. For your digestion: Production was delayed in 1957 of ALL trucks as Lee Iacocca was Pres. of the Ford Truck Division and he saw to it they invest over 77 mil in new tooling, research, designing and production of an 'all new truck'. They were finally introduced in Feb 1, 1957. If you follow regular auto production they typically are introduced in Sept. or Oct of the PREVIOUS year so, for this truck to be born the 4th week of June- it's fairly late in production. NOT late enough to get a 1958 "K" Code motor so, I still maintain it was ordered from somebody pretty well 'connected'. You should also be aware Ford closed the Highland Park , Michigan Plant the end of May'57 so, that may be the reason the car was built in San Jose and then shipped to wherever (Ohio or Miss.)..dashing your theory on buying the vehicle 'close to the plant'. NO plant near Ohio in 1957!! To further exhibit; truck production for 1959 started 10/22/58!
B. I tried to exhibit in my photo's the QUALITY of the built. If you scope out the 'cans' (metal), they are a Work of Art. The same for the side windows. They are NOT chopped and laid in- they are beautifully sculpted inside and out. I tried to bring myself to remove the interior moldings and take pix. Sorry, not going there. My next mission will be to search Superior School Bus rear windows and see if these windows duplicate the one's we have here instead of the continued reference to Miller. Since Miller morphed into another butterfly (aka: company) at the end of May that year (this car was built a MONTH later) there are a world of possibilities: like left-over stock, buy-out or outright copy-cat of now defunct brand- but, I seriously don't think they chopped up a 11 year old Hearse. If that were the case; the moldings would show old-age and cracking. The rubber around them and moldings are all exceptional. We know from the published picture- the car HAD that rear 'light' / back window when it was delivered to the Firehouse. Note: The rear lights are not Ford standard issue either.
C. The rear Cabinetry. It is Wood beautifully covered in Vinyl , topped with heavy leatherette seats/shelf and in mint condition. It IS original. The cabinets hold steel vertical devices within to hold something? They are supported by purpose-built brackets (not hardware store brand). It is apparent to most who look at it: The attendant sat across from the original Ohio Built 'Ferno Gurney' on the bench top or in his pass. seat, which unless I'm blind, does NOT swivel. It removes. The drivers side cabinet is probably meant for the stretcher hardware and, yes, it looks like it never broke a sweat. The pass. side cabinet looks like its designed to hold two fold-up stretchers. The second would hang over the top of the Gurney. I'm told by the Son of the 2nd deceased owner, that Palco Co. was very guarded of their employees, very generous (as in, Turkeys @ Thanksgiving & Bonuses), and had a very strict safety policy (he also worked for them, as did his entire PALCO family). So, it is apparent ~ looking at this rig- it saw very little use. For your entertainment: he also told me they took the Coach to a Car Show out of the area (can't remember city) and a gentleman came up and told them, he had ridden in the Ambulance to the hospital after a huge tree fell on his leg. He said, " he couldn't believe they could clean up the floor, he had lost so much blood" (and his leg) so, we know- it was not just a company show piece :). Reading into Federal Safety Regulations/ Mandates. My old memory has them instituted LONG after this coach was built. But, I'll check again.
E. I attempted to photograph the construction for you: The 'Glas' sides run from the Metal Top down to the Beltline, then Wrap-Around the front of the metal top to which the 'cans' are attached. The Doors, Fenders, Hood and Hard Top are all Henry Ford Steel. I TRIED TO GIVE 'THE PICTURE' BEFORE BUT, APPARENTLY MISSED THE MARK in my description. This is a professionally built rig, not Mickey Mouse.
F. The Small stuff: Beg your pardon Ed... (LOVE to have any Bakelite Medical Instrument) but, that's not a "Plastic" Stethoscope, it's a Metal Littmann "NurseScope" that came from a dated "1967" N.O.S. box. It is accompanied by a period correct, Red Cross dressed, Nurse Mannequin in the Museum. I had read on the Internet, just prior to EMS being established in approx.1973, Nurses and some off-duty Doctor's, started to do 'ride-alongs' as life saving started to replace transport.
Thanks Darren for your interest. will try LATER (dated home computer won't accept the camera disc) to attach a pix of the 62 , 19k mile Six Window sedan and another car, I think you'll like, I bought about 5-6 years ago for my wife. She gave it back at Christmas LOL. It's very nice of all of you to help dissect this beauty.. this is my adopted Son so, I'll attempt to not be so sensitive. Thanks

I'm guessing your getting a little sensitive in our conversation. but tell me how could the attendant sit in back on the squad bench with three pt in it. two hanging and one on the gurney . in the one picture you show the hanging gurney is over the back of the passengers seat. the question was can you lift the passenger's seat out and put it in facing the rear? this option was normal in the short wheel base ambulances of those years.

as was the company nurse being the attendant.

the construction technique I described is the same way superior would have placed that window in that blank wall. even if they formed it from new steel. any competent body man would have been able to put it in without seeing a seam. remember lead was the material of choice for filler in factories and body shops those years. every manufacture was using a lot of lead in construction clean into to 70s superior was no exception. a magnet will not stick to lead and I'm betting it's over a inch thick around those lights. tapered back over most of the roof. I have seen thicker from all the big players. plunk the tunnel light tube down tack it and full around with lead was the normal way. this is not a knock of quality but standard construction in the 40's 50's 60's and 70's

Meteor combining with Miller would have nothing to do with the side glass. the meteor plant was the one closing not Miller

Jun has always been the change over month for all manufacturers. they need to fill orders for delivery for sept first showing. so they would change over in jun and be in full production of the next model in august. I have seen late cars with jun production dates with the next years paint on them. there is no indication that the company wanted that new engine in the older truck when they could have waited a month and got it in the new model. best guess is ford ran out of the old engines in late june and since the next week they would have been producing only 58s anyway put that engine in to complete the run of 57s. especially if it was sold. the 58 truck was the same chassis and body. california build "suggest" it stayed on the west coast.

in the 50s you could go down to any major brand name hardware store and get quality moldings. remember it was in this day and age that linoleum was the rage on counter and table tops. it was not cheap chinese junk then. today you can't even find that kind of quality moldings

the poncho's superior was cranking out all had steel cabinets. as did the caddy's. nothing concrete just one more abnormality.

I don't feel that any one has suggested the ambulance was never use or did not get use for some serious injuries. it was built and used as a ambulance
so it had be be functional. there was not a lot of pt care done in route in the 50's but even then one had to be able to see everyone's head.

the dividers for the cabinet shows a lot of thought in construction. as does the squad bench in a day when the most expensive cars had jump seats in them. this truck was not cobbled together. I'm not kidding when I say it looks to good to be anything put out by superior. ambulance's were workhorses and they were none of them constructed with the same care that Hearse's were. just a fact of the industry.

get inside of any of the ambulance vans and you see a very stark interior. painted steel everywhere. cabinets just big dump bins. you're not looking at that in this one. it is truly a nice rig.

taking apart the interior to see most likely would not help. it could or could not reveal the origin of the glass frame. with out have pictures of the thought of donor car in question torn down as far one would have nothing to compare it to. all you can say for sure it's a dead ringer for the 46-47 Miller glass. one doesn't even know if it measures the same. just that with their patterns established it would be inconsistent for Superior to use the Miller one on anything. as would going back to a gold leaf treatment dropped in the late 40's by all of them. superior was painting crosses red at this time.

so a lot of guessing and that all it is. ;)

Ed; I respect the 'feather in your hat' but, am a little sensitive to your totally ignoring much of the research I have done and your use of words used like "inventing". I assure you all my dates and information are based on printed matter protracted from Internet sites like coachbuilt.com, wikipedia and the Standard Ford Catalog 1905-2002. Any errors in my days or month quoted would be to old eyes and inability to read scribbled notes :)
Ambulances: as you know, in the 50's they were still primarily used as 'transporters' not EMS vehicles so, to indicate the attendant would be automatically required to sit in back would be unfair. The seat appears to be grounded but, is removable. I might have missed a swivel-its tight inside the Museum, but doubt it. I agree the portable stretchers are somewhat ill-planned but, there they are. It does look as though they were seldom used not only by 'design' but, by the lack of wear and tear.
Construction: I only hesitate to remove the mint cond. moldings just to view construction because of potential damage (and my crippled wrists). They are NOT used parts. I would have liked to see the back of the side panel material to figure exactly what we have. I have somebody coming on Sat. to get his opinion. The use of fiberglas would be a given just for its weight saving advantage but, it's not a deal breaker either way. I'm not a Metalurgist but, tapping on the panels produces a fiberglas 'sound', not the deadpan sound of lead. I know what lead is like as I have a 52 Flower Car which is LOADED with it.
Meteor vs. Miller- All the books and information I can find say "Miller merged with Meteor under the Wayne Works banner March 19, 1956 and that they were producing cars by 1957". So, that design would likely be free-trade by then. will attach some pictures of similar Superior side-glass also from 40's-50's- though I can see the similarity in the Miller.
Production Dates-On that one , I totally disagree with your memory. All production dates I quoted are verbatim out of the Ford Truck Production books. Case closed. My Ford contact is probably here in FL. trying to seek out better weather but, I hope to catch him and ask about 1958 engines in 1957 cars. I am happy to stand corrected.
Hardware:. I totally agree- the cabinet hinges and clasp are all hardware store quality but, good quality. I was speaking of the purpose built BRACKETS inside the cabinets holding them in place.
"Poncho Superiors"- this is NOT a Pontiac. It is quite likely a FORD bus :)
"Serious Use" You can clearly 'see everyone's head" from the front passenger seat. 50's Transport vs. Lifesaving
"Quality" "Guessing":. Agreed on both counts. Kinda back to square one. I feel kinda bad I got into this now when we are so busy (hard to promptly answer inquiries) but, perhaps later I can dig around the chassis and try to find some stampings or parts but, I'm sure you can relate-tough assignment. California leads the Nation in quirky laws and legislation so, I think getting personal registration information out of them will be very tough. FL. just started really stiffening up about 2 years ago. I will also keep digging in the paperwork I have but, nothing jumped-out at me so far. I thought the original Ferno Gurney coming from Ohio (not a manufacturer from California) was a clue with its orig. brochure/instructions. I also found the orig registration on the steering column..I will try and remove it w/o damage and see if it has any verbiage on the underside that sheds any light. Back to work here. Thanks again. ps. Darren-here's the photos you requested + bonus

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 85
ED and others..... I think it's time we leave Mr. Bogard alone with the proven facts that he has a BEAUTIFUL 1957 Ford F-100 Panel that was (professionally) converted to an Ambulance and was used by exclusively by PALCO from new until it was retired after their take over and sold to a life-long employee. I know now that Kerry has spoken with 2nd Owner's Son with recalling the incident of a PALCO logger's story of being hauled in it one day with a mangled leg and bleeding profusely all inside the Ambulance. From the pictures, Mr. Bogard (a fellow PCS Member) obviously has a beautiful museum that I hope to visit some day and has gone the extra mile to answer all of our barrage of questions. In my opinion, it's time to leave it be. THX-MM :beatdeadhorse5:

sorry if my ability to communicate in this fashion is not portrait that I'm quoting you and agreeing with your dates and research.

this ford was built in the last week of Jun in the california final assembly plant. in 1957. it has a 1958 engine in with the correct serial number for factory installation in this truck.

the forward facing emergency light are assemblies off from a 57 superior school buss these lights were introduced in the 57 model year and are made of steel.

the truck was sold new at a superior dealer in california. no clear indication of where the final conversion to a ambulance was done on this ford panel truck. hear say from a former employee of the original owner is that they went to lima Ohio to get it. employee was not party to the accusation of the truck. were this does not dismiss what he was told it does not confirm it either.

there are no other marking on the truck other than normal ford markings to indicate where the conversion was made or by whom.

the two superior crown emblems looking like interior emblems found in the ashtray look to me like something that was remove when second owner did the repaint. this is unconfirmed.

the components Hardware in the rear are quality made with good fit and finish. hanging hardware origin has not been confirmed. but is of a distinctive nature

cabinets are of a material and finish not consistent with superiors other products.

rear side glass is of a design,etching pattern, gold leaf and outside trim as used by Miller in there 46-47 year. placement in the truck is the same as Miller also. size of glass compared to the Miller has not been confirmed

tail lights are not factory ford they also do not conform to the contours of the body were placed. this is the only poor fit one sees in the pictures. no indication of where they came from. the lens resemble chevy pickups of the late 40s to early 50s. unconfirmed. manufacturer should be cast in the glass lens as are the plastic emergency lights.

conclusion with research done so far is that everything leads to a strong tie with superior but no hard evidence that they converted the truck in any of their plants. everything done to the truck to convert it could have been done in the dealership also. did i miss any facts?

weaving a story around these fact to arrive at a conclusion does the truck no justice. we all can do that.

my story from my observations of the pictures
the passengers set will not swivel you would tilt it forward,lift it out and flip it around by hand. reinstalling it facing backward on the floor if is there is enough room. my guess is it a flip and fold design. it back would fold down and you lifted the rear to allow for movement into the back you can see the pivot's in the pictures you provided,. I have never seen a ambulance home brew or factory that did not have a way for the attendant to be able to sit and see the pt. yes comfort for the attendant or driver was not a major consideration. with two hangers in there there would only be about 3 or 4 inches of space between them if you were on the bench you would be underneath them and in the passenger's seat facing forward unable to see the one above you. I would be very surprised if that seat can not be positioned to face the rear. I have been surprised before and will again.

nice looking place you have there. with it looks like a interesting collection. I ever get down there I'll look you up. just to see it. I may have failed to clearly state the thanks for rescuing this one. so many unusual 40s and 50s ambulances were burnt up as painters/construction rigs and the wagon conversion used a second cars. to have this one kept in such shape by the company, then the second owner only to get lost then rescued again is in itself a miracle. to get to see it would be a real treat.

Attachments

• 1957 ford right doora.jpg
    1957 ford right doora.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Wasn't it established long ago that the tail lights had been moved up to where they are by the second owner?

Hey Kurt

Wasn't it established long ago that the tail lights had been moved up to where they are by the second owner?
Nope. These were there from new (have pix). They are STIMSONITE Units, a common provider for Ford and other marques. I was under the impression they were the original Ford Units moved up to the top but, I was looking for extra lenses and quickly realized, only recently, the Ford units were completely different so, a flashlight and old eyes told me what brand. I posted pix some time ago of them and I thought the results of my 'discovery' but, a touchy keyboard grenaded my letter yesterday and, that wasn't the first time so, I might have missed re-entry. I will close with a heartfelt THANKS for all your input but, we are so darn busy, I will get back on this during the Summer months when it's slow here. Thanks Mike McDonald ( turns out the 'other' suitor on this coach) and to all of you- even the bulldog grip of Ed, LOL. If any body ever comes up with pix at the factory and this oddball '57 Ford is in the background..that would settle this investigation once and for-all. Otherwise, the Miller (?) window issue probably never will be settled. Don't think I'm dodging the bullet but, I have over 32 cars and they require A LOT of time. This car will require more time. See you Adam in March! ps. you're all welcome here....but, not all at once, not with flashlights & screw drivers :eek:, and not with Ed.....LOL.(thanks for your input, you really ARE an okay guy)

I know we're going to let this one sit, but I do want to point out the matter of the stretcher.

At the time, all three manufacturers of ambulance stretchers were located in Ohio:
Ferno - Greenfield, OH
Washington - Washington Court House, OH
Bomgardner - Cleveland, OH

(Ferno and Washington merged in 1962, in Greenfield.)

So no matter where an ambulance was built, the stretcher was manufactured in Ohio. There were no stretcher manufacturers in California.

(Interestingly, DynaMed, which was founded about 1974 and was located in CA, briefly did manufacture their own line of ambulance stretchers. So eventually, there was a stretcher manufacturer in CA. But not in '57. Some more useless trivia.)

Oh no Steve!

When it comes to learning about our hobby there is never useless trivia,in fact its something I didn't know ,Thanks. and keep it coming.

I know we're going to let this one sit, but I do want to point out the matter of the stretcher.

At the time, all three manufacturers of ambulance stretchers were located in Ohio:
Ferno - Greenfield, OH
Washington - Washington Court House, OH
Bomgardner - Cleveland, OH

(Ferno and Washington merged in 1962, in Greenfield.)

So no matter where an ambulance was built, the stretcher was manufactured in Ohio. There were no stretcher manufacturers in California.

(Interestingly, DynaMed, which was founded about 1974 and was located in CA, briefly did manufacture their own line of ambulance stretchers. So eventually, there was a stretcher manufacturer in CA. But not in '57. Some more useless trivia.)
Steve: Did the late James O. "Jim" Page AKA: "The Father of Paramedics", Retired LACoFD "BC" authenticity counsoler to Jack Webb and long-time PCS Member co-own DynaMed at one time? MM

Back